The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Easy Boy  (Read 4653 times)

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
Easy Boy
« on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:19 PM »
I recently purchased  an Easy Boy ice auger for $20! IT was made in New Holstein WI i believe in the 60's, at least thats what the numbers on the 3hp 4stroke Tecumseh come up as. After a little cleaning up, mainly the fuel system and a new carb diaphragm it runs great! My buddy and i took our augers out on Shawano lake this past weekend to test run them. The Easy Boy made his Jiffy (with new blade) and look like he was using an ice spud. Has anyone on here had one of these augers and would you still have the manual? I'm looking for info on reccomended oils (mainly for gear box)and such.Thanks, any help would be very helpfull. Good luck on the ice!

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Easy Boy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:48 PM »
54 views and no posts looks like I found a one of a kind auger, but for what I paid and as fast as it cuts sure beats a hand auger when the ice gets thick. Thanks anyways, may your lines be tight, and the flags be many!

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Would like to see a picture of it if you get a chance. :)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Icy Mike from Alaska has a 68' Easy Boy. I'm not sure if he is still a member here of not. I can not look up profiles.

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:58 PM »
icey mikes still here, hopefully he will see this thread!

id like to see some pics of this auger! wonder what gears are on it...what kind of blades are you using?

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:21 PM »
It's good to know there is two of these out there! I will try to get some pictures of it on here but  I havn't taken any yet. I will describe it more for you . It has a 3hp 4stroke tecumseh engine. The handle wraps  completely around it and has a small lever that connects to the gear case by a cble to engage the 8in auger. The throttle is on top of the carb similar to a snowblower  . The auger  is three ft long and the blade on the bottom is about 4in longe and serated. The center point is quite large 2in tall and 2in wide at the top. the blade is not adjustable but there is three small button shoes on the bottom that can be shimmed (I have to do this yet due to it takes too big of a bite and i'm afraid of braking the blade. Talk about cut, this auger was throwing ice into my son's face (he's5ft tall) standing 5ft away! Iceymike you out there?

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:27 PM »
The boys in Alaska will make sure icy mike knows about your Easy Boy. I will IM the link to him.

FF

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:48 PM »
I sent Mike an e-mail earlier. I'm sure he will check in sometime soon.  ;)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006, 07:59 PM »
I'M HERE!!!!  I'M HERE!!!!  Yes, I still have my Easy Boy as well.  I used it today as a matter of fact.  As for the fishin'...  well, lets just say the fish got lucky today!  I'll see if I can take a few pics and post them. I also have the original brochure (somewhere) that I will try to post as well.

Icy Mike

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Hey, my brother in augers! I have done so surfing and found the manufacturer is still in WI but got out of the auger business, But I think you could contact them about an extension for yours who knows maybe they have one in storage somewhere[url][/http://www.heusmfg.com/equipment.htmlurl]

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:19 PM »
WOW! Antique outboards ice augers! There have to be some out there.
Never discredit a machine like that! 8)

It all brings me back to a time...............wel l I'll tell the story: In the 90s I had an old McCullough outboard made in 1970. I know it was not really "antique" but it was cheap, not running, and I changed that. It was a 9HP 2 stroke, perfect for what I needed. When I got done fixing that thing I was incredibly happy. It ran at 9HP at least, and it was a full 20 pounds lighter than a NEW Johnson9.9 2 stroke. My 12' boat flew! The thing just had that feel. You could ignore everything around you and stare at it and just go back to 1970 and remember the Jitterbugs and the Bass and the cars and.........sorry.
70 was the highest horsepower year of that era, as any car buff should know. They used to make go-cart engines in the 50s and the company had a lot of racing involvement. It was the last year they made them. I would still be using it but it was only for a 15" transom, not available in a 20", and I had to get Moby Dick.
My point is that antique gadgets like that are not for everyone, but what a blast!
gasman707 knows. He was laughing while burying his son in chips. ;D
For anyone with any experience with antique outboards there is a great must have book:
The Old Outboard Book   by Peter Hunn  ISBN 0-87742-265-6
It's 2006 now, so how about a forum or something for Antique Ice Gear, augers???
I don't plan on a power auger, but if I see an interesting oldie with some life left, I'm buying! 8)
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2006, 08:20 PM »
my grandfather ,about 15yrs ago had a ice king auger with a 12in. blade! it had a 3hp motor and turned that big blade pretty good. it was white and light green. he got rid of it after his brother stepped in one of those big holes and broke his leg. anyone ever hear of  or see this auger?  i remember it was a beast to handle. would be awesome for fishing big lakers.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2006, 11:02 PM »
I remember seeing a white and green auger at an auction sale once, not sure if it was an ice king though. I think it had an 8 inch blade.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:50 PM »
anyone have pics of these augers yall are talking bout?
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:48 PM »
I plan on posting some pictures but I keep forgetting to ask my friend to borrow his digital camera.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2006, 06:10 AM »
I remember seeing a white and green auger at an auction sale once, not sure if it was an ice king though. I think it had an 8 inch blade.

Did it look like this?
It was probably an ice king if it was green and white.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2006, 06:58 PM »
looks like the same brand of auger

Offline Old as Dirt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I have one of those Ice King augers.... 9" runs awesome... the clutch not so much!
Lets kick some Ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.