The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Minnow bucket aerators  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Sir ION

• IceShanty Rookie
Minnow bucket aerators
« on: Jan 17, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Hello, I've always used a Frabill portable aerator for ice fishing, always bought two "D" batteries left and right.  Just bought rechargeable "D" batteries, and those only seem to last about 3, maybe 4 hours if lucky. 

My question is do any of you have any advice as to a different aerator that doesn't seem to eat the batteries so fast?  I realize batteries go fast in the cold, but didn't know if there were other aerators out there that doesn't eat them up as fast?

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Minnow bucket aerators
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I've got one as well but haven't used it yet

I was out all day last week after driving my minnows 2 hours to fish and they were fine ....

My point here is do you need to run it constant or can it be every once in a while ... to extend your battery ?
Set the hook till their eyes cross

Offline Sir ION

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Good point.  I guess I assumed I need to run it constant to keep them alive.  I will try shutting it down and cranking it off periodically.  Thank you.

Offline ladyesoxtamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:13 PM »
We turn ours off and on every 8 hours or so and let it run for 15 minutes.  Change out the water every 4 days and keep the minnow bucket in our back room in the down stairs cement steps to keep them cool.  Have had pike minnows last 2 weeks doing that.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2015, 12:33 AM »
try the marine metals brand  "power bubbles" it is 12 volt and runs off rechargeable flasher batteries which every one know to buy those cheap to  i think i paid $25-$30 for my marine metals  "power bubbles" on e-bay...... try amazon to for one, it also  runs off flasher batteries which i get for about $15 and last weeks, months, years, if done charged right...

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2015, 12:43 AM »
I have the 7qt - Magic Aerobait Saver insulated bucket.  It has a built in aerator and uses one D cell battery.  I had a almost a dozen medium shiners left after fishing the other day and let my aerator run constantly until the battery ran out after 2 1/2 days on one Eveready Alkaline Energizer.  I estimate about 60+- hours.   I love the Aerobait bucket, its the best portable rig I've had in 50+ years.  I also have a 7 gallon set up that I use mostly in the summer when I'm keeping bigger quantities of bait that I have set up with a 110 volt aerator and a large bubbler stone, then I transfer whatever I'm taking with me to my Aerobait bucket.  Now that we have such tight rules on minnows I don't keep the larger tank in use very often.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2015, 02:45 PM »

got the big version of the areobait saver does not have as power full of a motor as the marine metals power bubbles does... but it last about three day on two D batteries can't put the areobait  in a 76 quart cooler either full of bait   so there are reason for it...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.