Author Topic: plastics on jigging spoons?  (Read 5380 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
plastics on jigging spoons?
« on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Got some of the smallest frostee spoons and wondering what you guys use for plastics on these?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
Re: plastics on jigging spoons?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:00 AM »
Berkley gulp maggots, Atoms little nuggies, CJS wedgies.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline rufishn2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:43 PM »
maki , clam, there another real good one but I don't remember what its called. Do a google search theres some good you can only get online and gills love em.
team "off all winter"

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Got some of the smallest frostee spoons and wondering what you guys use for plastics on these?

You are using the frostee spoons, not the frostee jigs? I'm intrigued, I haven't come across a thread where anyone mentioned putting plastics on a spoon, just tipping with minnow heads or perch eyes. Is this common? How's it work compared to tipping with minnow heads or perch eyes?

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Yep using spoons. Figure I'd give the fish something different to look at!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I really like using spoons for gills they get deep fast and often wondered about using plastics on them...I replace the treble with a single hook and use wax worms...sure plastics would work!?!?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:39 AM »
You are using the frostee spoons, not the frostee jigs? I'm intrigued, I haven't come across a thread where anyone mentioned putting plastics on a spoon, just tipping with minnow heads or perch eyes. Is this common? How's it work compared to tipping with minnow heads or perch eyes?
           Never heard of using on a spoon, guess you learn something new every day!!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:46 PM »
The one good thing about plastics is that you don't need to use all of it. Generally only use a piece only big enough to get the size and shape of whatever is being imitated

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2015, 03:49 AM »
You need to be a bit more selective with your plastics on spoons...also depends on spoon type. 

A rattle'n flyer spoon may have a different action or starts to loop spin with plastic attached to it.  Whereas a buckshot spoon, wouldn't matter.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2015, 06:37 AM »
From Northland Tackle

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Page.taf?page=Articles/Tournament-Tactics-of-a-Champion&title=Tournament%20Tactics%20of%20a%20Champion

On the business end of things, Boshold remains steadfast on jig selection, although even here, he wanders from the crowd. “My favorite approach is to go ‘vertizontal,’” he quips, with a sly grin. “I’ll often tie up a vertical jig, such as a Northland Live Forage Minnow Jig, and then dress the hook with a micro plastic bait rigged horizontally. When you rig a vertical jig this way, it swims to the side on the drop. When you engage the bail and stop its decent, the combo pendulums and swings back toward center, which triggers big panfish like no other motion I’ve found.”

Great for minnow heads no bait snatching

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=704

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2015, 07:22 AM »
nope, I just use meat on my spoons. Small spoons get maggots, oak grubs or waxies. Bigger spoons I put on waxies or minnow heads. If I'm fishing for trout I will sometimes use mealies on my spoons. Whatever, if I'm fishing spoons, they are tipped with meat.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2015, 02:20 PM »
From Northland Tackle

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Page.taf?page=Articles/Tournament-Tactics-of-a-Champion&title=Tournament%20Tactics%20of%20a%20Champion

On the business end of things, Boshold remains steadfast on jig selection, although even here, he wanders from the crowd. “My favorite approach is to go ‘vertizontal,’” he quips, with a sly grin. “I’ll often tie up a vertical jig, such as a Northland Live Forage Minnow Jig, and then dress the hook with a micro plastic bait rigged horizontally. When you rig a vertical jig this way, it swims to the side on the drop. When you engage the bail and stop its decent, the combo pendulums and swings back toward center, which triggers big panfish like no other motion I’ve found.”

Great for minnow heads no bait snatching

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=704

This is my exact go to for crappie....no8 hook northland forage minnow jig in super glow chub, stacked with 4-6 waxies to produce the same flutter and pendulum action described. Pound it with 2-6" jigging motions to make it flutter. Crappie kill this jig all season

Catchin' Fish

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2015, 04:02 PM »
i'll sometimes replace the treble with a single hook and thread a 1" or 2" plastic minnow on there. works pretty well on the bluegill and i've found that i usually catch larger fish on that.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Plastic on spoons all the time. Leave the treble on, thread the plastic on the barb lined up with the face of the spoon. Spoon vertical, plastic horizontal. Killer combo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.