Author Topic: Byers Lake.  (Read 2592 times)

Offline firefish5000

• IceShanty Rookie
Byers Lake.
« on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Have PUC 2 and 3 rented this next weekend for some family time and some fishing. Anyone have intel on the ice/snow condition? We go every year and have never had the park close the trail due to lack of snow ( like Nancy Lakes/Red shirt ). But would be nice to know before we convoy up there. Thanks.

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Forrealyo11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'Em
Re: Byers Lake.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:13 PM »
One thing I do know if we fished that lake very very very hard for 2 days and only were able to manage one very small lake trout that looked unhealthy. Through a bunch of shrimp and herring out in the shallows to sit over night and was all gone in the morning. My guess was Burbot. Good luck. Let us know how you do please. That lake still remains a mystery to me.

Offline firefish5000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:02 PM »
Thanks for that link Danner , I've never come across that one! The lake does have a large population of very small burbot, we have figured out over the years how to be able to catch a few decent lake trout, usually eat one or two and throw the rest back. Have always had to put trails in the first night and let them firm up over night to combat overflow. We watched some folks fish the inlet last winter though never talked to them and never wanted to risk it myself.

Offline Zfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:16 PM »
I was up around New Years eve and overflow was pretty deep 6-8". Had 3 tipup and only one hit w fresh shimp. Reports of a few being caught but Rangers said there were some thin ice spots out there so didnt take ski doo out. Good luck

Offline No.9 Alaskan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Usually fish Byers at least twice a year for the past 15 years and have never not had overflow of some kind on it during my visits. Last year's overflow was the least I ever had and I iced my biggest Byers trout then.  Will not be going back this year as I have moved my trapline plus I will not miss the crap shoot of how much slush is under the snow today.

The least overflow I have ever had at Byers. That day was heaven compared to many others there! >:( :tipup:
Honestly, my fingers smell like that from fishing!!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:36 PM »
I trapped up that way also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.