Author Topic: Smitty Sled Anniversary Was Last Sunday! (post your smitty sled pictures here)  (Read 19641 times)

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Built this folding smitty sled last year. Makes it very easy to load in the vehicle without disassembling and pulls through the snow like a dream. Jet Sled is held fast with a cam-lock strap. Added LED flood lights this year because it looks awesome.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey you have turn signals on that thing too ;D

Nice build...
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great thread.  You guys have given me some great ideas.  Got a set of skis (for free!!!!).  I just can't figure out how to take off the front part of the bindings off yet, but I'm working on it.  Want to avoid bringing out the cutting torch.

I could not get the screws out of the bindings on the down hill skis I bought. I got out my side grinder to grind the heads off. When the screw got hot they came loose and fell out. Might have had some epoxy on them not letting them unscrew that the heat loosened up.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
 :clap: :bow:  where there's a will there's a way.  Dang nice lights, I need more battery power LOL
Bud

Offline qcbowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Here's mine, built in 2012 and been enjoying every trip with it|  Only big mod since was to shorten the skis.

Using it on the last day of the 2014 season... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpmLIuCA-54

Thanks for the ideas Smitty!

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
Wondering if I should have used the longer ski's for my Fishtrap Pro, I used a shorter version "140" downhill ski's, haven't tried it out yet. Lets here some opinions. :-\ 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wondering if I should have used the longer ski's for my Fishtrap Pro, I used a shorter version "140" downhill ski's, haven't tried it out yet. Lets here some opinions. :-\

The longer the skis the easier it will be to pull, but harder to make turns.. I'm not doing any slalom runs so I went with longer skis...

<°)))>{

Offline qcbowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
I had longer skis on mine but decided to cut them. The extra length was more of a nuisance than anythin else. Now, it turns easier, loads in the SUV easier and turns much better.

Offline Muser

• IceShanty Rookie
We are still missing some that were deleted, can they be added back into this thread?

I remember a cool sled made of white PVC with great features that I am interested in building a version of.
It had great pictures in the post!

Thanks!  ;)

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
This Popped up on my feed today.
https://www.facebook.com/SmittySledPro/timeline
Is this your page Smitty?
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline Justfishing

• IceShanty Rookie

There was a thread on this yesterday....it magically disappeared  ???

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

No, that is an entirely different person, that is using Smitty's name on a concept sled that is nothing like a Smitty...

<*)))>{

Offline Windknot412

• IceShanty Rookie
Got the binding off thanks to the posted suggestions.  Thanks guys.  Those screws were really tight.  Now to study the pics to develop a plan.

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here is mine that i built 3-4 weeks ago. Thank You smitty for the great idea. Makes life a lot easier to haul lots of gear. I added pvc rod holders to the back .

ECB

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver

Nope.......he has been emailed and messaged........no response yet and I don't expect one either........he knows my dis-pleasure using "Smitty" in the name......

BTW.......Keep the pics coming!!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular

Thanks Smitty!

Offline krup

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm going to try to build one... What's the best way to attach the wood legs to the skis? Thx

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Krup Private Msg sent.
Bud

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !

Offline 4chevys

• IceShanty Rookie

Here is my first Smitty Sled.  All I had available was some old M+W Sea King water skis.  They are old, cracked and dry rotted.  Glued em back together and works amazingly well. The only investment in this setup is the rope.  Everything else is made up of stuff that was laying around. Keep this in mind, water skis will work for a Smitty Sled. 

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
Hounds: You must be a plumber!!!

;D
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline GWPguy

• IceShanty Rookie
I just built mine this past week. I made a video of the build process.   It can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspQkY9AoXs  Can't wait to get it on the ice.!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I knew I wasn't a carpenter. Nice work. I just slapped mine together.
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
I just built mine this past week. I made a video of the build process.   It can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspQkY9AoXs  Can't wait to get it on the ice.!

Nice job there.........video is great to show the process........thanks for sharing it with us......Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
Some great sleds here!  :tipup:

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here is what I use;

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here is what I use;

Dang! That's the biggest suitcase style I've even seen!

And the biggest Smitty, although pretty far from being a Smitty...

Makes my Clam 5600 look lightweight...

What is it?

<*)))>{

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It is a Clam Sleeper

You know what they say, Go Big or Go Home. LOL

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It is a Clam Sleeper

(Image removed from quote.)

You know what they say, Go Big or Go Home. LOL