Author Topic: first time to erie  (Read 3700 times)

Offline sugarfuzz12

• IceShanty Rookie
first time to erie
« on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:44 PM »
planning on my first trip to Erie ice fishing this year. Any recommendations on size rod and set up?

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: first time to erie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:54 PM »
First u gotta figure out if u wanna fish for perch or walleye, also consider a guide for first time cuz Erie is a different type of beast

Offline sugarfuzz12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:41 PM »
sorry for not being clear I am going for walleye. I have ice fishing stuff for panfish but have never went for walleye  before.

Offline tomes1978

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I will watch this thread as I have the same questions and plan on going for the first time this year as well.  One more question, can I get away with a six inch auger if targeting walleye on erie or do I need to go bigger? 

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:43 PM »
Ya if its ur first time on Erie and targeting walleye I would definitely recommend either finding someone on here to go out with with experience(buy bait for the day for them or something haha) or hire a guide. They will teach u alot and also may notice a change in wind which may break up the ice that u may not notice, which may lead to u becoming stranded. Like I said, lake Erie is a different beast.
P.S. I'm a perch guy so I really can't help u much more but that is what I have read here a few times before. Plus I fish in NY on Erie

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Sugarfuzz, p.m. sent.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:44 PM »
need a stiffer rod than you would use for pan fish or one of your heavier rods, as the spoons/raps will be 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce depending on current. last year anything blue/ chrome caught fish, won't know whats hot yet this season yet.
Swedish pimples, kastmasters, vibee's( or other vibrating blade bait), and jigging raps are the go to lures.
use CAUTION whatever you do and good luck

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:04 PM »
Depend how whippy your panfish rods are, you might be able to get away with it if you're only going a couple times.  I had two 24" rods I used last year for walleye, but one was a little stiffer, which is what I used most.  This year I got a Medium 28" Ugly Stick combo for like $30 and that seems to be good enough.

Offline sugarfuzz12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:21 PM »
thanks for the info and to the people that PM me thanks I can't figure out how to reply back though

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I will watch this thread as I have the same questions and plan on going for the first time this year as well.  One more question, can I get away with a six inch auger if targeting walleye on erie or do I need to go bigger?

I have pulled 10lb eyes through a 6" hole, but it was very tough... Even and 8 seems small on some of those hawgs..

You could get 98% of your fish through a 6" hole, its the other 2% you'll cry about for a long time...

Maybe drill 3 holes together to make one bigger hole...

<*)))>{

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:27 PM »
I use a medium 28 inch jason Mitchell rod. And a 24 inch st croix medium with 6 lb mono line. Love this set up. Good luck be safe and have fun out there. Il be there next weekend. If ya Wana meet up some time and fish with us let me know.

Offline kjpaxson175

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2015, 02:19 PM »
I'm also new to the whole Lake Erie ice thing....I bought all the gear this year (clam XL2000,buddy heater,7" hand auger, Marcum lx-6) but the only thing that I'm missing is the wheels or Air Boat out to the fishing spot, would it be possible to walk out from Camp Perry? I was thinking about heading out on Thursday if anyone was walking out and maybe I could tag along to learn the trail out!

Offline stanton21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Going to head out to Perry on Wednesday, it will be a east wind for 1 1/2 days the switch to the north east. That should push the ice to shore. I would think that would be the best bet for fishing with out the ice breaking off.
I'm standing right next to you and you don't even know it.

Offline OhioMadMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2015, 10:08 PM »
Going to head out to Perry on Wednesday, it will be a east wind for 1 1/2 days the switch to the north east. That should push the ice to shore. I would think that would be the best bet for fishing with out the ice breaking off.

I have seen a N.E. wind at Camp Perry open up the crack a time or two over the years of fishing there.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2015, 10:41 PM »
I have seen a N.E. wind at Camp Perry open up the crack a time or two over the years of fishing there.

Maybe in Canada..

<°)))>{

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:40 PM »
I'm also new to the whole Lake Erie ice thing....I bought all the gear this year (clam XL2000,buddy heater,7" hand auger, Marcum lx-6) but the only thing that I'm missing is the wheels or Air Boat out to the fishing spot, would it be possible to walk out from Camp Perry? I was thinking about heading out on Thursday if anyone was walking out and maybe I could tag along to learn the trail out!

I was up for 3 days and saw a bunch of guys walking out all 3 days. LOOOONG trek.

Offline fish_pleaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:17 AM »
My cousin and I are taking a fishing trip.  We just want to target panfish; not even perch just some big gills and crappie.  Should we consider Lake Erie.  I know Sandusky Bay and some of the other bays can produce.  Anybody willing to help us out.  We are down in the central Indiana and have been planning this trip since last year.  We are setting our eyes on northeastern Indiana at the moment but this may be a better option for us.

Thanks guys,

Rob

p.s. We'd be willing to throw in a few cold ones or even some money for bait.

Offline fish_pleaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:18 AM »
Oh, sorry if this was off topic.  I know it isn't walleye, but it's a good thread to put it under.

Offline sugarfuzz12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:25 AM »
don't know about thbays on the ohio side but Presque isle  in PA is a good place to get blue gill perch and crappie

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:44 PM »
How deep are you fishing in PA for pan fish on Erie?  Any tips on what to looks for?

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:15 PM »
How deep are you fishing in PA for pan fish on Erie?  Any tips on what to looks for?

Depends where you are fishing in presque isle. Misery bay is shallower (under 10 fow mostly) gills, crappie, perch. You can also fish the main bay in 10-20+ fow for perch. Shad have been bad in the bay this year making the fishing tough.

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Does anyone use an underwater cam when targeting walleye on Erie? I'll have my flasher with me, just wondering if the cam is useful there. I'm sure the water is clear enough, might spook the fish though. Also, are a fair number of perch caught when out with the walleye pack?

Offline David UJ Kennedy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:33 AM »
What guides are recommended to catch EYES in Ohio? I am an avid ice and open water Walleye fisherman from NY. I Fish Erie and Kinzua frequently. Want to catch some HOGS!!! Checked out the Air boat guys online are they any good?

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Went for the first time today. Started in 25, bounced around to a couple areas. Didn't mark a fish. Moved again 22 feet and the graph lit up. Caught 8 between 2 of us. Very finicky it seemed. Biggest was 25 inches. They would come in pods of 3-5 fish. Jigging raps mostly. Can't wait to be back!

Thanks to everyone on this forum that offered advice. Much appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.