Author Topic: Big Bait  (Read 982 times)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Big Bait
« on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:15 PM »
How big is too big for baitfish for pike?  Im curious after getting a lot of funny looks over the years when i bust out my monster bait...
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Let em think what they want. A big hours of a pike will have no trouble inhaling a large bait. I have used full mackerel before, some use full suckers. For hookup success I have started to use half baits or have tried to get my hands on some 5-6 inch herring so that there is more of a hook to bait ratio.

Big baits, big fish.

Saying that, I caught a 40 plus inch pike on a single treble loaded with 3 small smelt. 

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Big bait equals big pike.  Just make sure you are using good hooks and let the fish run with it   They will quite often just be mouthing the bait so make sure they have it before attempting to set the hook

SHOTGUN

Offline gillagain

• IceShanty Rookie
  • always an adventure
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:26 PM »
im sure we've all had that 4lb pike reeling it in and then zammo it takes off like a torpedo only to play dead all the way back to boat with huge teeth marks in it. well I have at least half a dozen times. A double header once :o so I know that size can matter. ;D  but I haven't had luck with large bait under the ice. I am trying 15" FAT suckers with trebles this year .so far no interest. they swim right past it. 6-8" suckers are pulling them in as are little minnows on some days but I just cant let go of the big bait idea so one goes on the tip up every time out. mabe I will cut them in half head and tail.
until I figure out how to fish for a living, I live to fish!!

Offline HWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:57 PM »
Big bait equals big pike.  Just make sure you are using good hooks and let the fish run with it   They will quite often just be mouthing the bait so make sure they have it before attempting to set the hook

SHOTGUN

X2. I've only used big bait this season and it has really helped to bring in the pike from afar - even if they just hit my smelt on the other rod. The slow roll/drop action of a nice easy-kill meal is too much for them to resist. I've noticed that when using a 12" herring that they are usually hitting it right in the middle and swimming off with it for a while, but if they feel any resistance they'll spit it out. I'm not quite sure what the best rig is for large bait when they hit it from the middle, so i've been experimenting with making my own with leader wire. When they really want to go for it they'll take it head first.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:49 AM »
interesting to hear some people are cutting baits in half with success... Ive tried and never had any!

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Half baits work a treat for me with 2 x single hooks with plenty of exposure. You don't have to let them run as long and as a result not so deep hook sets. Gets the gut juices in the water for sent too.

I usually use a half bait dead on the bottom so it does not look suss. I like to use my full baits a few inches off the bottom balanced with the head down to look like a feeding or unwell fish.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:38 PM »
thanks for the input everyone!  Good luck out there!  Ive got a few sharks to go catch now.  :tipup:

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:57 PM »
X2. I've only used big bait this season and it has really helped to bring in the pike from afar - even if they just hit my smelt on the other rod. The slow roll/drop action of a nice easy-kill meal is too much for them to resist. I've noticed that when using a 12" herring that they are usually hitting it right in the middle and swimming off with it for a while, but if they feel any resistance they'll spit it out. I'm not quite sure what the best rig is for large bait when they hit it from the middle, so i've been experimenting with making my own with leader wire. When they really want to go for it they'll take it head first.

The guys that only fish for the big pike use a larger rod and bigger reel.   They set the drag at very minimum, prop the rod up and most put a bopper between the hole and  the rod where it can be easily seen.

When they see the bopper is down they go to the reel and let the fish continue to take line until it has stopped at least twice, then they tighten the drag and set the hook.

Seems to work real good, seen it a dozen times by some of the old timers at Badger.

SHOTGUN

Offline dirtydraws29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:24 PM »
good info

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Thanks Shotgun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.