Author Topic: how many members marcum units are at the repair shop right now.  (Read 16283 times)

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how many members marcum units are at the repair shop right now.
« Reply #90 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:38 PM »
I just got my showdown back and after one short trip it seems to be working ok. Fingers crossed that they fixed it this time. It's a bummer though, I will never have faith in it again after all this and I won't be surprised the next time I hit the power button and it fails.

I am not going to baby any of my ice fishing equipment. A flasher is a tool and I am going to use it like a tool. Its a good thing my vex is built like a brick and I don't have to treat it like its fragile or something.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #91 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:47 PM »
I know I take care of my flashers and all my equipment.i bring it in dry it all off charge the batteries at room temp.and both my Marcum units were still like new with around 6 or 7 outings when the motors went out.i don't spend money to abuse and throw my equipment around.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:48 AM »
You didn't look too well. Also like I said to be fair you could only look at lx3 and lx5 complaints since vex has no new tech at all anyway.
   I kept a copy of the results if you like I can post them

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #93 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:37 AM »
   I kept a copy of the results if you like I can post them
old goat don't let it get to you.i just hope you don't buy or own anything Marcum.hahaha.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:54 AM »
I have a buddy with an LX9 and an LX7. Another with an LX5. All have worked pretty flawlessly. On the other hand two buddies bought LX7s this December, and both are back at Marcum right now. He even got hung up on by customer service when he told them they ruined his ice fishing trip to a distant lake.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #95 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:19 AM »
not sure who saw some one throwing expensive gear around, but mine is not a careless casualty of ignorance like that. 763$ (thats what they cost retail with tax) is more than most folks computers cost, we don't throw any thing around except fish on ice around here. so count me out if your doing some sort of poll on who throws their gear and abuses it on purpose or otherwise out or operator error. its a fish finder not a helicopter. it doesn't come with a shoulder strap, so marcum knows it will be in a sled while being transported on ice. if they thought its a fragile unit, they would make a padded case for the bottom at least.
what i find amazing is the fact they use the wires jacket to support the wires and worse yet the weight of the transducer like vex does. bird has a way to not do that.

I have a buddy with an LX9 and an LX7. Another with an LX5. All have worked pretty flawlessly. On the other hand two buddies bought LX7s this December, and both are back at Marcum right now. He even got hung up on by customer service when he told them they ruined his ice fishing trip to a distant lake.

ouch!
thats when i bought mine from reeds.
shipping label just showed in my e-mail, so it will be in with the "many" other dead units soon.
thanks marcum!
the person i spoke to seemed a little like it isn't some thing he should be doing for a living either, but got the job done none the less. you can tell when you have a "seasoned service rep" on the phone. no choices when you call marcum, just be glad some one picks up the phone.

also, i e-miled them 3 days ago and not a word from them via e-mails.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #96 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:52 AM »
I guess my marcum is showing here up tomorrow now.they replaced the motor.probably with the same brand motor that failed the first time.im going to run it exclusively the rest of the year because its only got 8 months more on warranty.but will have my vex in the sled for backup.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:01 AM »
You would think if you are in a market selling these electronic units to Customers that they would have the smarts to check out these different websites for Customer feedback but I have never seen anyone post that works there.For sure I have purchased my last unit from MARCUM. On another forum a fisherman finally got a response from them after almost a week.He asked why it took so long for someone to get back to him.The guy said it's a slow time of the year and some workers were layed off !!:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #98 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:05 AM »
You would think if you are in a market selling these electronic units to Customers that they would have the smarts to check out these different websites for Customer feedback but I have never seen anyone post that works there.For sure I have purchased my last unit from MARCUM. On another forum a fisherman finally got a response from them after almost a week.He asked why it took so long for someone to get back to him.The guy said it's a slow time of the year and some workers were layed off !!:
I bet they didn't lay anybody off from the repair dept.hahaha

Offline Thinicejunky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Yup I was hung up on as well. My lx7 has been there twice In two years. Not a very comforting feeling when I. Walking on the ice whether or not my unit is gonna run correctly. I tried explaining to them that this machine is a computer. Well one of the flaws with this unit was the battery terminals falling off the battery very easily. Well when a computer get unplugged from its power source it's a hard shut down. Not very good.  Do this multiple times and you have problems. That my logical answer for my lx7 problem. Then the wise ass at marxum tells me " Anybody with common knowledge can tighten the battery terminals" I f-ing laughed and said" I spend how much money on this unit and I gotta worry about battery terminals. My hummingbird ice 35 back up flasher has a better connection then your crap". He hung up. I called everyday. This will be my last unit from them. I really hope vexilar has something big up there sleeves. I really do. Cuz I for one will make the switch.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #100 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Yup I was hung up on as well. My lx7 has been there twice In two years. Not a very comforting feeling when I. Walking on the ice whether or not my unit is gonna run correctly. I tried explaining to them that this machine is a computer. Well one of the flaws with this unit was the battery terminals falling off the battery very easily. Well when a computer get unplugged from its power source it's a hard shut down. Not very good.  Do this multiple times and you have problems. That my logical answer for my lx7 problem. Then the wise ass at marxum tells me " Anybody with common knowledge can tighten the battery terminals" I f-ing laughed and said" I spend how much money on this unit and I gotta worry about battery terminals. My hummingbird ice 35 back up flasher has a better connection then your crap". He hung up. I called everyday. This will be my last unit from them. I really hope vexilar has something big up there sleeves. I really do. Cuz I for one will make the switch.

not good!
what was wrong with lx-7 each time?

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:41 PM »
A customer service rep should never hang up on a paying customer. Period.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #102 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:27 AM »
I have both the LX-3tc and the LX-5. I bought both in 2009 and both are still working fine. Sorry, but I'm not ready to join in on the bashing!!.. ???

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #103 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:19 AM »

Really? You can't take a pair of Pliers and pinch the connection so this doesn't happen? I did it to both of my Showdowns. I think it took me 1 minute to walk to the drawer and get the pliers, pinch them a little and walk back and put them away.  I guess some people would just rather complain. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #104 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:32 AM »
would like to know, since their is this poll going on, what is the main thing that goes bad in each unit, if its the same thing over and over and if its being addressed by marcum when they get them back to "fix" or not.
my lx-7 was the control board. couldn't change any settings or turn it back on after pulling the battery wire off. i asked another unhappy lx-7 owner about his and his was the same thing as well.
sounds like the lx-5 and under have poor motors and get replaced every year.

A customer service rep should never hang up on a paying customer. Period.

a buddy of mine was hung up on 3 times by AT&T two days ago. kept getting the indian out source folks that can hardly speak english.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #105 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I got my lx3tc back today.motor replaced under warranty and got another 3 months added to the warranty.im going to run this unit like its in boot camp the rest of the year to make sure it runs good.i have 11 months till the warranty is off then its 90 bucks plus shipping to repair it..and that will be a hard decision if  I have to send it in again.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #106 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:47 PM »
so it took over 12 days to get it back. you started this thread 12 days ago and it was already in the shop.
right?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #107 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:51 PM »
so it took over 12 days to get it back. you started this thread 12 days ago and it was already in the shop.
right?
I sent it in the day before this thread so 13 days.i was supposed to get it last Friday.dont know what happened with that.but its here now and the unit seems a little quieter than before.time will tell.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:44 PM »
Google "vexilar problems" and then tell me why you would ever buy from them. As was pointed out, all manufacturers have issues. Vex is using the same simple technology that marcum and others have used for years. You don't see many problems with these units. When you change everything up and go digital, LCD etc. although it sucks it's likely there will be issues until the technology has been worked through and the common failure points are addressed. If you are a safe bet company and stay away from new technology you will probably have less problems but will never be a leader in your industry, there is an element of risk and uncertainty with new products.

So then why are the Marcums flasher units biting the dust so often then? FYI LCD, TFT and "digital" technology is nothing new and Marcum's competition has been doing it long before they ever came out with the LX-7. All the years I have been using Vexilar flashers, Lowrance/Eagle and Humminbird units from paper graph, LCDand then later TFTs I have never had an issue with any of them. It sounds to me like Marcum is using poor quality components and/or not assembling their units properly. About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a Marcum camera that was DOA, pissed away a bunch of gas and 2 hours of time returning it to Cabelas.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #109 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I sent it in the day before this thread so 13 days.i was supposed to get it last Friday.dont know what happened with that.but its here now and the unit seems a little quieter than before.time will tell.

ok, thanks. good to know turn around time.
so they had a hold of some kind too.

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I wonder how many complaints have to do with operator error or straight lack of caring for the unit, like yanking the ducer out of the hole and throwing it on the ice, not drying the unit out after each use, making sure all screws remain snug, battery terminal clean/snug, hammering down the lake with the unit it the jetsled absorbing every bump.

It's electronics, treat it like a laptop.
I did bud. Mine still broke. Got in back Thursday. About 2 weeks turn around time... like everyone knows. Slip said new motor new transducer new electronics. Well whats left?
Its a 2 week delay because thats how many they have sitting there. My unit looked brand new. I think they are testing them if they fail and you are under warranty new unit after warranty $90 from you new unit from them. They know they have  a problem.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 01, 2015, 01:07 PM »
Just joined the crowd!
Have a Marcum showdown 5.6 that was bought in Feb. of 2013; maybe used 20 times. First time out this yr. I noticed it was showing noise instead of depth at the bottom, got it to show depth for awhile and it went back to showing noise. Took it out today and only the power on button worked to turn it on, none of the other functions worked and I have to unplug it to turn it off.
In all fairness to Marcum, the unit had been slightly damaged during shipping (fuse holder broken, and battery terminals bent in) but it did work and Marcum sent me a new wire harness to replace the damaged one. I saw no reason to send the whole unit back, since everything else seemed OK; maybe that was a mistake but the unit worked just fine.
I know I had talked to Mike at that time, and I would think they have a record of replacing the harness due to shipping damage.
I will contact them tomorrow and see what they have to say!
In the meantime, I will just have to use the HB 597ci HD, that's set up for ice, but I do like the showdown!

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:10 PM »
I own a LX7 and LX 5. I have not had any issues with my 7 going on 2 years...fishing 3 days a week.  My 5 is a spare unit and is not used. I  believe the key is how it is transported...my 7 fits in a square bucket lined with foam top and bottom and I transport with a wheeler and sled...just my 2 cents....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #113 on: Feb 01, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Just joined the crowd!

you didn't peek in this thread not being down and jinx your self did you?!?!
i stayed away until mine died, but i didn't have to stay away for long. took only a few times out for it to puke.
dead control board also on lx-7. seems very common for rmarcums.

fingers crossed!

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Well put it this way...if you didn't have a problem with your marcum's what on earth would you be complaining about then? At least this way you have something to complain about so you don't have to worry about finding something else to complain about. I've got a marcum vx1 and it seems OK. I bring it inside after every trip and plug it into the wall asap. If I bought multiple different units and they all broke then I would think its not the unit but the user.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #115 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Well put it this way...if you didn't have a problem with your marcum's what on earth would you be complaining about then? At least this way you have something to complain about so you don't have to worry about finding something else to complain about. I've got a marcum vx1 and it seems OK. I bring it inside after every trip and plug it into the wall asap. If I bought multiple different units and they all broke then I would think its not the unit but the user.
this comment is no use to anybody.good luck with your Marcum .

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #116 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:57 PM »
ive ran the lx3tc for 12 hours so far and no problems since repair. but thinking about selling it still.along with my troller 2.0.and getting a vexilar flx28

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #117 on: Feb 01, 2015, 08:45 PM »

wow, thanks for your wonderful wisdom! tipsy much?
you may have just jinx yourself. its a thread for broken marcums.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:22 PM »
you didn't peek in this thread not being down and jinx your self did you?!?!
i stayed away until mine died, but i didn't have to stay away for long. took only a few times out for it to puke.
dead control board also on lx-7. seems very common for Marcums.
fingers crossed!

I was thinking the same thing!
Used maybe 20 times max, and always hand pulled on a sled, like I said in the post; something else other than the fuse block and the pushed in batt. terminals may have been damaged in shipping that took a little bit to show up. MAYBE!
After talking to Mike I could have sent the whole unit back right away, but it seemed to work just fine, so I figured if it's working what good would that do. That may have been a mistake; we'll see!

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Haven't had a drink all day 3300. I thought it was a thread for whiners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.