New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing keuka lake  (Read 31447 times)

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fishing keuka lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:56 PM »
What works for perch . Never been there, guess bait shop would know.

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:03 PM »
I was at brachport yesterday and still open water. BUT today I just came home thru Hammondsport and the whole lake was iced over from about 100 feet out from the head of the lake to the bluff (couldn't see past the bluff) so maybe just maybe with the cold weather coming we may get a couple of weeks fishing for them tasty lakers!!!!

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:31 PM »
I was at brachport yesterday and still open water. BUT today I just came home thru Hammondsport and the whole lake was iced over from about 100 feet out from the head of the lake to the bluff (couldn't see past the bluff) so maybe just maybe with the cold weather coming we may get a couple of weeks fishing for them tasty lakers!!!!

Tasty?  You must have the pallate of a raccoon.

Offline FishReaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I will ice fish there too!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Lakers on the bar-b-cue.... marinated in Italian salad dressing... lightly char-grilled, with onions and garlic? Hell yeah

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Lakers are for folks who like to eat fish.  Perch are for those with a blander palate.   You know, like coors light and white bread. ;)  haha

Unfortunately,   the lake seems to have frozen just in time to get 10-12 inches of snow on it.  Hopefully that doesn't stop the ice growth.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Tasty?  You must have the pallate of a raccoon.

Take the small Keuka Lake lakers, filet them, soak the fliets  in a 50/50 mix of apple juice/kosher salt brine solution for about 3 hours in cold garage or fridge.  Pull out filets, allow excess to run off for few seconds and then place on grill grates and allow to partially dry for about 20 minutes.   Sprinkle with some fresh coarse cracked pepper.   Put filets into a smoker with apple and hickory chips and smoke for about an hour.  Delicious. 

Rocky the Racoon never had it so good!

Offline wiggum1972

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just trying to keep them under me
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:31 PM »
anybody willing to give a ice thickness report for penn yann side.looking to hit 100 plus fow.out of college area.not looking for fish reports just ice conditions.

Offline 05page19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:30 PM »
8" of good ice; drifting snow on top of it. Water gushes from holes when you drill them so if you're using shorter rod you might make sure to wear good water-proof footwear. Lakers are hitting well. I use 4 1/2 foot rod so can sit back from the water that will surround hole. Good luck. 

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Get ready for a longggggggg walk ! And lol there goes that spot

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Anyone have an ice report around hewitt point (pen yan side)   ?   It sounds like the ice is good in front of the college but has anyone been further south?   I am thinking of fishing deep water in that area.

Offline OridginalPikeFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:17 PM »
hey guys, i've never fished Keuka before and im going there saturday. i have tip-ups and i jig so i dont care what i target just want to catch something. were can i park? i don't have a machine so not looking to walk too far.
come see me on facebook at  PikeFreak's fishing and outdoor's

Josh Miner Rochester NY

Offline bigcountry315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:59 AM »
if you are going to penn yan go to a place called seneca farms (take west lake road and take a left if coming form Penn Yan on to Ritchey  boulevard) and go down behind there there is boat launch, if you get there you can go for a 100 to 200 yard walk to the pump house it is a big brick building off the the right anywhere out in front of there is good water.   

Offline Splinter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Is anyone catching crappies in Keuka Lake? I'd like to go after a few.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:34 PM »
can you park at the pump house? what about out in front of the boat launch at the state park?

Josh Miner Rochester NY

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Not sure where big country is sending you ???

Go to Indian Pines Park and follow the herd. Google it. The drag is pretty brutal right now, but there should be a pretty good trail out by now. Keep in mind that the temps this weekend are going to be single digits. I'll be at the bench tying flies :-\

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Single digit temps.... fingers crossed Branchport fork starts making ice.....

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:26 PM »
That would be SWEEEEET!

This could be the year looking at the near forecast.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jdogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Just wondering what the big deal about the branch port side is something special over there?

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Just wondering what the big deal about the branch port side is something special over there?
When branchport freezes it opens up another public access point at the state park.  This access point allows for a short walk to deep water unlike the penn yan side.   Branchport doesnt freeze very often. 

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Thanks RG, cold doesn't bother me so ill check that spot out!

Josh Miner Rochester NY

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:21 PM »
It blows my mind what it takes to freeze the branchport side. The forecast looks promising.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:11 AM »
Yep, it is amazing. Probably because the depth there drops off like a rock.  I fished an area south of there last year where 50 yds from shore put me in 140'.   The other day, I saw a lot of guys fishing off Keuka College. Is there any parking in that area?

Offline bigcountry315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Not sure where big country is sending you ???

Go to Indian Pines Park and follow the herd. Google it. The drag is pretty brutal right now, but there should be a pretty good trail out by now. Keep in mind that the temps this weekend are going to be single digits. I'll be at the bench tying flies :-\

Rg
i was trying to get to that but just couldn't put it on the screen sorry for any confusion.

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Being new to ice fishing and seeing the Hammondsport side iced over my question is has anybody ever fished that? Last year as cold as it was that was the only open water. Just curious and wondering if it ever gets thick enough ice to be out on.

Offline hotholes870

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Never fished the lake before and was wondering where people go out from to get lakers? Like can you go out from the college or do you got to go out from the north end? If its only the north end does any one bring sleds and wheelers out there? Thanks

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Being new to ice fishing and seeing the Hammondsport side iced over my question is has anybody ever fished that? Last year as cold as it was that was the only open water. Just curious and wondering if it ever gets thick enough ice to be out on.

definitely not a spot that gets ice fished. drops off way to quick there. however, there are some shallow weedy spots . how long has it been frozen down there? is there alot of snow on the ice?

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Never fished the lake before and was wondering where people go out from to get lakers? Like can you go out from the college or do you got to go out from the north end? If its only the north end does any one bring sleds and wheelers out there? Thanks

not too many public launch areas on this lake. your wheeler will get stuck. snow is probably too deep. only place you will be able to get a machine out is probably from north end of PY. laker territory is pretty far from there.

Offline hotholes870

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2015, 11:55 AM »
So sounds like if I was going to fish for lakers pack light and plain on a long walk until branchport freezes

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2015, 01:34 PM »
So sounds like if I was going to fish for lakers pack light and plain on a long walk until branchport freezes

unless you know someone that lives south of the college. i think most of the guys getting lakers right now know land owners they can park at. branchport is not ice fishable yet.

Offline hotholes870

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Ok thank you for the info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.