The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Thin Ice on Pymatuning  (Read 3043 times)

Offline sam_buca42

• IceShanty Rookie
Thin Ice on Pymatuning
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:36 AM »
In spite of cold temps, Pymatuning has not reached "safe ice" status yet....3 guys went thru yesterday 1/13/15 off Tuttle Point.  THANKFULLY all are OK.  Surface snow has hindered development of good ice in some spots and that snow cover makes bade ice hard to detect.  Warmer weather, a bit of rain and another blast of cold is due over the next week and will hopefully be the perfect formula for thick and safe ice.

Chute82

Re: Thin Ice on Pymatuning
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Thanks for the update, was thinking about heading there this Friday.  Change of plans

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:26 PM »
 Sam, were you there ?? I hadn't seen any reports of this on the news or paper....I assume they drug themselves out ? People have been all over Tuttle for a week now. I have stayed away because I figured the ice was like everywhere else around here....too much snow/slop to make good ice.

Was more wondering if they fell in together, or was it three separate people on three different occasions ?

Need more info.....so I know where not to go  ;D ;D ;D 
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline Piscator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Thanks for the updates. Saved me a long drive.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Alot of the lakes here in crawford co are nasty, safe ice 8" thick and 10ft away 4 inches of slush and an inch of ice.  I am the only person until today that has fished my home lake.  Lots and lots of people checking the ice and turning around.  I have found some safe ice but sketchy.  I have caught over 250 perch in the past couple days the largest being 9" most 6-7".  I moved to a new spot and found lots more small perch and worse ice conditions so, right b4 dark I shoveled the snow off a path out to some deeper water near some brush I know of.  Hopefully the cold night temps are enough to make at least that section fishable, lol..  I have been pushing the boundries of the safe ice trying to get away from the perch and onto some crappies.  Be safe and use a spud the ice may get crappy on sat during the day.

Offline sam_buca42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:07 AM »
The news of the guys thru the ice came from the nice folks at Gateway Bait and Tackle in Andover.  I understand that the 3 guys went in together and all got out OK.  Much like PaWhisker has written, the blanket of snow has good ice in "most" places, but thin slushy ice (oftentimes buried and hidden under the snow) is only a few feet away from the safe ice.

Hoping that warmer temps and a bit of rain over the weekend melt the snow and cold blast due mid next week will get the lake consistent and safe soon.

Offline geofish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Fished westford today. Fair amount of people out. Ice about 6"  most everywhere . Didn't talk to anyone who had seen less. Slow morning and afternoon.

Offline Doubleclutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Thought of going there this Saturday but I think I will try Manning or behind the Welcome Inn. I was out buy the Inn last Sunday and there was 7 in out around 200 yards.

Check my Face Book Group Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/258599070959819/

Offline smalleyhuntersr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:58 PM »
I have been talking to a friend .He is local ice is fair at manning but better ice at Jamestown!

Offline Doubleclutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:21 PM »
6 inchs off Tuttle Point and 6-7 buy the Welcome Inn.  Don't know how true this is. I haven't heard anyone saying that anyone went threw.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:31 AM »
been by the lake but haven't seen anybody hitting  Jamestown except the docks, but buddy was at Snodgrass and got out. not biting though.

Offline paulinpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:51 AM »
     Just spent the last three days there. Thinnest black ice was way down south, about 4 inches. At least 6-8 everywhere else. Slow bite according to everyone I talked to, and nothing of any size. Found catfish suspended at Tuttle, which was odd. Caught 5 of them 15 or better, all at least 6 feet off the bottom

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Ran into a catfish "run" that winter off Tuttle as well. Caught 11 in about 1.5 hours.
Don't horse em!

Offline Doubleclutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:38 PM »
How about an update on Manning? Planning on going Sunday Morning.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:40 AM »
went ot Jamestown on Friday 9yesterday) walked out a short didtance drilled a hole and only at best 3 in with a bunch of wet slop and water on top. didn't fel comfortable at all and left went to shenango and plenty of ice good 7 inches. with the big snow coming sunday and Monday I don't think your gona get good ice on pymatuning any time soon!!!

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:14 PM »
How about an update on Manning? Planning on going Sunday Morning.

Seen a few huts on Manning when I drove by to Tuttle. Ice was 6-7" where I went (Tuttle) with the top two inches being white. Only had a few lookers but only stayed for a couple hours. Tightlines
Ron

Offline Doubleclutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2015, 05:32 AM »
Yes the South End of the lake has thinner ice. Been that way for years.
went ot Jamestown on Friday 9yesterday) walked out a short didtance drilled a hole and only at best 3 in with a bunch of wet slop and water on top. didn't fel comfortable at all and left went to shenango and plenty of ice good 7 inches. with the big snow coming sunday and Monday I don't think your gona get good ice on pymatuning any time soon!!!

Offline Drop Zone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:19 AM »
any updates on the ice on the lower end??  I was thinking of going out Friday evening.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:25 AM »
what about all the junk on top the ice? slush/ snow

Offline geofish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Fished south end Tuesday evening. Was surprised almost no snow or slush, easy drag. Snow that melted froze. Didn't help the fishing though. Caught very few. Can't say what its like today though.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:34 AM »
if you know anybody that hits it Thursday or Friday see what the snow is like on top please. that drag is tough

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:14 AM »
What we need is an all day rain to get rid of the snow than a flash freeze.  I would be all over the local lakes.  With the snow amount we have now access is very limited. I know I sure don't want to walk a 1/2 mile in this stuff.  It would be nice if they plowed a to of different spots but they don't.  Even the spots at the launch at Jamestown only has the road plowed and not the parking spots.  We got another 2-3 inches last night.  Should be close to over a foot now.
sparky

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:41 PM »
From  the forecast im reading , we are gonna get exactly what U requested Sparky. This Sunday , a day or rain with above freezing temps. Then a low of 15* two nights later. Should help a bunch I would think. Unless that forecast changes. Still 3 days for that to happen . & the weather prognosticators have been known to be off a little from time to time. 😳
Don't horse em!

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:44 PM »
if you know anybody that hits it Thursday or Friday see what the snow is like on top please. that drag is tough

Up here now. Lots of snow. Going to say 6-7" of crunchy covered by 6-7" soft fluffy by Westford. but only 1 degree out So it is cold.
Ron

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.