Author Topic: Don't kill your fish you plan on releasing!!!!!  (Read 6643 times)

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
Don't kill your fish you plan on releasing!!!!!
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Here's a quick link to some really important information. We can all do our part in helping our fisheries stay world class!!!

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/fresh/grip-and-kill.htm

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Don't kill your fish you plan on releasing!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:15 AM »
So which of these fish are handled wrong

I realize your trying to spread the word on how everyone should handle their fish and good job for that but when your 3 or 4 post is telling people they are doing stuff wrong it kinda puts a sour taste in people's mouth.  Read the article also.  I think sometimes it looks like people are squeezing but they are not
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:19 PM »
I don't see a problem in those pics. I don't understand why all this defensiveness is happening. It wasn't an attack it was simply me stating what I'm seeing. I saw the pics and saw fish being squeezed. I looked furthermore into this  person photos and almost every pic of nice bows they are being squeezed. not the stockers for the local lakes. Big native bows from what looks to from the kenai or wherever else. It's simply information that's good to know.

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:22 PM »
All those fish are out of the water ... not in best practice with C&R  ::)

dont make me draw down on ya & have you reach for the sky

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:33 PM »
All those fish are out of the water ... not in best practice with C&R  ::)

dont make me draw down on ya & have you reach for the sky

(Image removed from quote.)

in the last picture the bottom half of the tail is in the water  ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:50 PM »
LOL... then your Good to Go!  ;D

Offline Forrealyo11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'Em
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Ok first of all every single fish that I catch I do release. Unless it is a salmon or halibut. I am from tx, have fished since I was 7, was a professional guide for two years, and fished professionally for one year on a bass circuit. I think I know how to handle fish. Rainbows are very delicate and gorgeous fish. They have now turned into a favorite to catch for me. I do not keep a fish out of the water for very long at all. Keep in mind I have been doing this my whole life. There are more people up here that I see abuse fish, not know regulations, and act like complete idiots when it comes to fishing. I keep all of my fish in the water for as long as I need until they swim away safely. Especially in the winter when ice fishing. I am not squeezing any fish too tightly. These beautiful native rainbows have so girth. If I were to lightly hold them I am taking the risk of the fish falling and then being in some real trouble. I can take a hook out, snap a picture and place the fish back in the water to gain it's strength all in a matter of 15 seconds. I have more respect for fish than I do a majority of human beings. It seems you can't post anything these days without someone jumping down your throat about all of your "faults". I have joined this site to share my experiences and incredible fish that I catch. I will help a fellow angler out where necessary. Thank you for your input. Happy fishing.

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:25 PM »
I'll put some input here, since I have been labeled deputy dog and deputy Barney in the past for expressing concern about pictures posted on the web for the world to see.  I believe Vohs574 had pure intentions and DID express his concerns very politely before being bum rushed by the usual suspects.  It sure is a shame that a guy can't get away with stating a conservation concern to fellow anglers without being assaulted for it while some here post pictures of fish bleeding from their eye, on the floor of a canoe, ect and act like it is acceptable and then get butt hurt when you say something about it.  C&R fishing causes injury and sometimes death, it is the nature of the beast and  I can live with that.  I admit that I have handled fish poorly in the past and have been educated by numerous people, articles, and by the school of hard knocks.  Nobody is perfect and we all get better at handling fish with each and every one that we bring to hand.  We are all here because we love fishing, sharing our experiences, helping others, and to gather information, right? 

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Danner has a real good video of proper catch & release techniques for Situk steelhead.  :roflmao:
Why do I always leave shrimp in my pocket from last week?

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Danner has a real good video of proper catch & release techniques for Situk steelhead.  :roflmao:

You better watch it again.  My handling was pretty good.  The other two guys, not so much. 

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:38 AM »
barb pincher are ya..... ::)

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:59 AM »
Lol! Nope I buy the right hooks Without barbs for the type of fishing I'm doing. Wether it's through the ice or on the river. If I keep my line tight then I don't need a barb. After 20+ years of fishing in Alaska I guess I got the hang of it.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:01 PM »
I'll put some input here, since I have been labeled deputy dog and deputy Barney in the past for expressing concern about pictures posted on the web for the world to see.  I believe Vohs574 had pure intentions and DID express his concerns very politely before being bum rushed by the usual suspects.  It sure is a shame that a guy can't get away with stating a conservation concern to fellow anglers without being assaulted for it while some here post pictures of fish bleeding from their eye, on the floor of a canoe, ect and act like it is acceptable and then get butt hurt when you say something about it.  C&R fishing causes injury and sometimes death, it is the nature of the beast and  I can live with that.  I admit that I have handled fish poorly in the past and have been educated by numerous people, articles, and by the school of hard knocks.  Nobody is perfect and we all get better at handling fish with each and every one that we bring to hand.  We are all here because we love fishing, sharing our experiences, helping others, and to gather information, right? 

LOL - I went back and re-read the thread - no one bum rushed him - and I was "very polite" in my response - no one got but hurt expect maybe him? 

He hijacked a photo thread because he felt like the fish handling skills depicted by the angler needed improvement, all under the notion that the fish in beer can lake could better survive to reproduce.  (silly I think by someone with a self admitted 20 years experience fishing in AK) I added my 2 cents of comments on the thread, and just like he did gave the "not trying to be a DH" courtesty line just before I made my points. 

I also believe he has good intentions.

Just like you, I try and handle fish I C&R with the most respect and care as possible using recognized best practices. I am sure the angler in the photo does the same. I think we agree that Utopia for C&R does not exsist, but that does not mean you abandon good handling practices. Sometimes bleeding occurs or a fish will flop out of a persons hands...again just  dont understand what emergency occured in the original post that needed his "polite" advice and link.       

No need to call him out for a percieved infraction ice fishing at beer can lake. Your going to be very busy policing this ice fishing forum if your concerned with best C&R practices - but if that your thing I guess? 

It sure is a shame a guy cant post a picture of a stocked fish (that wont reproduce) without being called out for a perception of holding the fish the wrong way for a photo and then releasing it.  Makes people not want to share or celebrate there outdoor experience.

You said it best -

"Nobody is perfect and we all get better at handling fish with each and every one that we bring to hand.  We are all here because we love fishing, sharing our experiences, helping others, and to gather information, right?" 

Exactly! Although I do not agree with some of your comments, I am not butt hurt by any of them. Your conclusion is spot on.

By the way I plan on collecting a beer that was discussed in a PM last year - when I come through Anchorage - looks like April. 

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:25 PM »
You must be missing the point! Look at his photos of the fish on the KENAI RIVER!!! Everyone of them. And why are you talking about this? Get over it...

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:59 PM »
you snooping through his photobucket or something?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:59 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:02 PM »
link to the pics pls? not concerned about how they were held... just want to see some fish!!  ;D ;D
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Click on the photo and it brings you there.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:12 PM »
looks like some of the most gentle trout handling ive ever seen! nice fish  :tipup:

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:15 PM »
That's sad.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:29 PM »
That's sad.
you can clearly see from the pictures that hes not squeezing them at all... its sad that this is a thread on the internet

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:31 PM »
you can clearly see from the pictures that hes not squeezing them at all...
unless im looking at the wrong pictures

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Your blind. Read the link I posted. Then look at the pics again. It's not rocket science. It's blatently obvious.

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Click on the beer can thread. Click on the pic of the char and it will take you to his photo bucket. Look through and see the pics that are clearly on the KENAI. Those big native bows are getting squeezed.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:39 PM »
excuse me, you said:
Click on the photo and it brings you there.
i clicked on the photos posted below your initial post... you should have said Click on the beer can thread. Click on the pic of the char and it will take you to his photo bucket instead the first time lol. how am i supposed to know you meant go back and choose some random thread and then lurk the guys photobucket. shoot, rocket science would be easier than reading your mind  :blink:

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:31 PM »
There are more people up here that I see abuse fish, not know regulations, and act like complete idiots when it comes to fishing.

Yeah, and from browsing your Instagram page, I'd say you fit in well with those who do not know the regulations.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:35 PM »
shut up

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:50 PM »

no skates were injured in the process of these pictures.

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:56 PM »

no skates were injured in the process of these pictures.

I got my skates sharpened last week.  I can really skate faster, make sharper turns, and stop on a dime.   :clap:

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:45 PM »
I once caught a fish and I let it go and it lived.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.