New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Conesus Lake  (Read 8711 times)

Offline wackmaster308

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbabooey
Conesus Lake
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Anyone fish off of Long Point or out of the State boat launch? What kind of fish do ya catch there? I usually to the North end but lookin to mix it up a bit.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
Re: Conesus Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Anyone fish off of Long Point or out of the State boat launch? What kind of fish do ya catch there? I usually to the North end but lookin to mix it up a bit.

That is area is one of the last places to freeze good on this lake. 

25+ years ago, I used to get many a jumbo perch out there jigging in about 50 feet of water. :icefish:  They used to smash a pimple with a perch eye.  When pulling them up, their stomachs would bloat out of their mouths spilling baby sawbellies everywhere.  Good times.  Sadly, now Conesus Lake perch fishing is just an "old time" memory that I tell my teenage son.   

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:56 PM »
That is area is one of the last places to freeze good on this lake. 

25+ years ago, I used to get many a jumbo perch out there jigging in about 50 feet of water. :icefish:  They used to smash a pimple with a perch eye.  When pulling them up, their stomachs would bloat out of their mouths spilling baby sawbellies everywhere.  Good times.  Sadly, now Conesus Lake perch fishing is just an "old time" memory that I tell my teenage son.   
I was taking to an old timer a few years back on Conesus. He said the same thing you did. I was thinking " yeah yeah yeah..whatever...." lol until till he pulled out some old polaroid's from the 70's!!! :o mind blown what they use to pull out of that lake....Honeoye too.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Absolutely true. I have about 20 yrs on you two guys and Conesus was great for a lot of different fish. You wouldn't believe the size of the gills we got there too. What a shame.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:34 PM »
 I remember fishing Conesus in the mid 1970's and 1980's too.  On a nice weekend day, there were likely a 1000+ people on that entire lake ice fishing.  No lie!  I remember finding alewives frozen in the clear ice in the early 1980's and that's when the perch fishing really went downhill - FAST.    The pike, walleye and perch that came out of there during the Annual Conesus Lake Ice Fishing Contest used to be very impressive.   I'll see if I can go to my mom's and pick up some old photos my Dad took back then.   My Dad used to sharpen the old Swedish spoon augers for Bob's Baitshop in Lakeville as well as Jay-Ve's in Rochester back in the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's.  Brings back some good memories.  Old school fishing - no electronics, no shanty, no heater, rods and reels that held line and you handlined the fish in, sitting on a bucket with your back to the wind, big parka on, and wearing Army/Navy surplus stuff from Korea/Vietanm era, and freezing your butt off but your feet were warm with Mickey Mouse Boots  ;D.   :cookoo:  We are so spoiled now. 

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:43 PM »
ya I grew up fishing Conesus in the 60's and 70's, Coleman coolers full of perch back then

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:53 PM »
I remember fishing Conesus in the mid 1970's and 1980's too.  On a nice weekend day, there were likely a 1000+ people on that entire lake ice fishing.  No lie!  I remember finding alewives frozen in the clear ice in the early 1980's and that's when the perch fishing really went downhill - FAST.    The pike, walleye and perch that came out of there during the Annual Conesus Lake Ice Fishing Contest used to be very impressive.   I'll see if I can go to my mom's and pick up some old photos my Dad took back then.   My Dad used to sharpen the old Swedish spoon augers for Bob's Baitshop in Lakeville as well as Jay-Ve's in Rochester back in the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's.  Brings back some good memories.  Old school fishing - no electronics, no shanty, no heater, rods and reels that held line and you handlined the fish in, sitting on a bucket with your back to the wind, big parka on, and wearing Army/Navy surplus stuff from Korea/Vietanm era, and freezing your butt off but your feet were warm with Mickey Mouse Boots  ;D.   :cookoo:  We are so spoiled now.

I had a number of spoon augers sharpened by dropping them off at Jay-Vees, so your dad did a really nice job. We also went to Hollow Grinder to get them done-not sure your dad got those??  Those Spoon Augers were great when sharp-I won a number of bets by cutting threw 12" of ice in 10 sec.-of course anything over 12" was a lot tougher as the shavings started to bind the blade up and you then had to scoop them out-and back then Oneida had up to 30" of ice at times-ahh the good old days!!!  Memories Hunyeraws, memories!! Thanks..

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Absolutely true. I have about 20 yrs on you two guys and Conesus was great for a lot of different fish. You wouldn't believe the size of the gills we got there too. What a shame.
What do you think happened? over fished? over managed by DEC? I know DEC had something to do with the demise of Honeoye

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:17 PM »
What do you think happened? over fished? over managed by DEC? I know DEC had something to do with the demise of Honeoye

My father speaks often of what this fishery once was.  "Over Managed" by DEC?  I don't believe that to be the case with any of our Finger Lakes fisheries.  In fact they have done next to nothing to manage our fisheries in my opinion.  I haven't seen a net survey done since the mid 2000's for Conesus.  Supposedly a study is in place now with the walleye population which is down and possibly dwindling.  They take no action until after the fact.  Kind of like Law Enforcement most of the time.  That's what they've mostly become, ticket enforcement agents. It's a shame, but its all I've seen in my lifetime.  I'm a young angler and I shudder to think of what my fisheries will be in another 10-20 years.  Same thing with hunting.  Wish I was born in the 50's and could have seen what my father had.   
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:22 PM »
My father speaks often of what this fishery once was.  "Over Managed" by DEC?  I don't believe that to be the case with any of our Finger Lakes fisheries.  In fact they have done next to nothing to manage our fisheries in my opinion.  I haven't seen a net survey done since the mid 2000's for Conesus.  Supposedly a study is in place now with the walleye population which is down and possibly dwindling.  They take no action until after the fact.  Kind of like Law Enforcement most of the time.  That's what they've mostly become, ticket enforcement agents. It's a shame, but its all I've seen in my lifetime.  I'm a young angler and I shudder to think of what my fisheries will be in another 10-20 years.  Same thing with hunting.  Wish I was born in the 50's and could have seen what my father had.
By "Over Managed" I mean DEC's involvement that lead to the issue. Like what they did to Honeoye years ago "managing" weeds. they killed off half the lake. It has never quite recovered.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:35 PM »

In the late 1960's and early 1970's, the DEC tried stocking rainbows into the lake.   They really didn't take and they ceased the practice.  Likely during that time or in the late 1970's, someone may have used sawbellies as baitfish and dumped some into the lake...that was the rest of the story...walleye and perch population plummeted.  I remember as a kid before sawbellies took hold in the 1980's, when you caught perch in water over 25 feet, their bellies would come out of their mouths from their air bladders and they would spit up nothing but scuds, daphnia and copepods that were living near the bottom.   The alewives ate many of the invertebrates as well as the perch and walleye fry - there goes the fishery.  Tiger Muskies were introduced to help control the alewife population. 

Personally, I have always thought that Conesus would be a prime lake for the introduction of hybrid striped bass (white bass x striped bass) rather than tiger musky.   They "wipers" school, suspend and would chow down suspended schooled alewives.   They wouldn't really compete with the native perch, bass, pike, pickerel, and walleye that much and since they they tend to use open water more readily.  Wipers are sterile and with an 8 or 10 year lifespan, once they stopped stocking, they would eventually go away.   In addition, it would produce an incredible trophy fishery for wipers.  The NYSDEC did stock then in a few lakes back in the 1980's but I don't that they do anymore.   I can only dream...

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I had a number of spoon augers sharpened by dropping them off at Jay-Vees, so your dad did a really nice job. We also went to Hollow Grinder to get them done-not sure your dad got those??  Those Spoon Augers were great when sharp-I won a number of bets by cutting threw 12" of ice in 10 sec.-of course anything over 12" was a lot tougher as the shavings started to bind the blade up and you then had to scoop them out-and back then Oneida had up to 30" of ice at times-ahh the good old days!!!  Memories Hunyeraws, memories!! Thanks..

Mike, My Dad had a real talent for putting an edge on a spoon auger.  He used to sharpen them after work in our garage.  He used to be a tool grinder and put new edges on worn cutting tools and millbits for a living.   He never sharpened augers for Hollow Grinder, they did it themselves...often guys that took blades to Hollow Grinder to get "sharpened" ended up getting their blades over to Jay-Ve to have my Dad put the edge on the right way.   ;)    You were right, they used to cut really fast...as long as it didn't get too thick and then like you said, you would have to scoop out the shavings.   But was really nice is that you usually ended up with a really cool "core" of ice which was fun to chuck down the lake and watch it skip and slide for what seemed "forever" along smooth glass ice.  Ah, good memories once again.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Mike, My Dad had a real talent for putting an edge on a spoon auger.  He used to sharpen them after work in our garage.  He used to be a tool grinder and put new edges on worn cutting tools and millbits for a living.   He never sharpened augers for Hollow Grinder, they did it themselves...often guys that took blades to Hollow Grinder to get "sharpened" ended up getting their blades over to Jay-Ve to have my Dad put the edge on the right way.   ;)    You were right, they used to cut really fast...as long as it didn't get too thick and then like you said, you would have to scoop out the shavings.   But was really nice is that you usually ended up with a really cool "core" of ice which was fun to chuck down the lake and watch it skip and slide for what seemed "forever" along smooth glass ice.  Ah, good memories once again.

Yea, forgot about that core of ice-Kool (or is that showing my age!!).  Also I can remember catching Walleyes at the South end using "summer" rods and reels making 10' sweeps into the air using home made lures (Lucky 7s??) that were like today's Pimples. As I recall there was some mismanaged ground moving at the South end by a developer that ruined the Walleye spawning grounds and put a major dent into the Conesus Walleye population.   Cya..

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:35 PM »
In the late 1960's and early 1970's, the DEC tried stocking rainbows into the lake.   They really didn't take and they ceased the practice.  Likely during that time or in the late 1970's, someone may have used sawbellies as baitfish and dumped some into the lake...that was the rest of the story...walleye and perch population plummeted.  I remember as a kid before sawbellies took hold in the 1980's, when you caught perch in water over 25 feet, their bellies would come out of their mouths from their air bladders and they would spit up noting but scuds, daphnia and copepods that were living near the bottom.   The alewives ate many of the invertebrates as well as the perch and walleye fry - there goes the fishery.  Tiger Muskies were introduced to help control the alewife population. 

Personally, I have always thought that Conesus would be a prime lake for the introduction of hybrid striped bass (white bass x striped bass) rather than tiger musky.   They "wipers" school, suspend and would chow down suspended schooled alewives.   They wouldn't really compete with the native perch, bass, pike, pickerel, and walleye that much and since they they tend to use open water more readily.  Wipers are sterile and with an 8 or 10 year lifespan, once they stopped stocking, they would eventually go away.   In addition, it would produce an incredible trophy fishery for wipers.  The NYSDEC did stock then in a few lakes back in the 1980's but I don't that they do anymore.   I can only dream...

Do you believe that the construction of the sewer system around that time also had an impact?  Your response makes the most sense out of all the explanations I've heard over the years. Some say that the DEC also stocked alewives around that time. Any truth to that one?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I also fished Conesus in the '70 and '80's. The perch fishing was out of this world and keeping the numbers in check. 1000 fishermen and fisherwomen every weekend. Unless you knew someone who lived on the lake, parking was not good. If you remember we had 3 or 4 "warm" winters in a row. Getting onto the ice was tough. Not many fish were taken during those years. After that the fishing went down hill. In the summer you could see schools of perch, but they were all small. Just too many fish, with not many being taken out. You would think by now it would have recovered....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline b ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:01 PM »
still a lot of big fish in that lake :tipup:

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:53 PM »
still a lot of big fish in that lake :tipup:

Really?!  What species are you referring to?  I know your not talking about esox.  As an angler who grew up on this system, I would love to know!  I also love it when guys try and son me and tell me there's still a lot of perch in the lake, I just don't know what I'm doing. 

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:00 PM »
Alewives are the culprit.  Do some research on Alewive numbers and their affects on perch populations. When Alewive numbers are up, perch numbers are down.  I'm all for them stocking what ever they need to get the alewives out of Conesus.  I have fished Conesus hard on the ice since 2004.  It is an awesome lake but it is not the lake from the past.  My buddy that lives on the lake has a couple pike mounted in the mid 20# range (caught in the early 80's).  Now you are hard pressed to find a 40" plus fish from this lake. 

FrankM

« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Conesus was the first place I ever ice fished back in the '70s when I was in my teens. I had just got my driver's license and it was a big adventure to drive out there from Amherst where I lived at the time. I had a spoon auger and we always got our bait from Bob's.  Mousies, oak leafs and Michigan wigglers.  I still have some "Conesus Jigs" from Bob's in my jig box.  The perch fishing was great back in those days.  You could easily fill a bucket.  We used to do best in deep water off Stella Maris or Long Point.  I wish they could figure out how to get rid of those alewives and get back to those good old days.
At least we still have a top notch perch fishery in Lake Erie and it looks like we will have 2 old fashioned winters in a row so we can get out on Erie.  But I do miss those times on Conesus.

Offline nundaiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:44 AM »
my dad fished summers and winters on conesus. he told me for a few years the limit on walleyes was 10 per person. the end of conesus was when they stocked rainbows and the sawbellies got in there. my dad fought with the dec over this but they would not listen and went ahead and put the rainbows in. I believe it was pressure from some of the people that lived on the lake to get the rainbows stocked. our dec leaves a lot to be desired. if conesus was in Minnesota it would a great fishery. only the memories are left .   

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Alewives are the culprit.  Do some research on Alewive numbers and their affects on perch populations. When Alewive numbers are up, perch numbers are down.  I'm all for them stocking what ever they need to get the alewives out of Conesus.  I have fished Conesus hard on the ice since 2004.  It is an awesome lake but it is not the lake from the past.  My buddy that lives on the lake has a couple pike mounted in the mid 20# range (caught in the early 80's).  Now you are hard pressed to find a 40" plus fish from this lake.

I  guestion  alewives  hurting the  perch population lake  Ontario and  lake  erie  both have  great populations of perch  and  yet have   large   amounts  of  alewives

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Lots of memories of fishing Conesus in the late 70's and early 80's .... grandparents house was on E Lake Rd near Orchard Pt .... I think.  Used to watch tip-ups right from the front room on the nastier days.  Sad to see the fishery dwindle like it has.  Haven't fished it in years although I have a good family friend now on the west side near what used to be the small amusement park .... somebody help me out with the name?? If the whole lake goes and is fishable I am definitely gonna be there.

Are walleye still stocked??

DAN

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:40 PM »
I  guestion  alewives  hurting the  perch population lake  Ontario and  Lake  Erie  both have  great populations of perch  and  yet have   large   amounts  of  alewives

Alewives tend live and school up in deeper water where the trout and salmon put a hurtin' on the population.   Perch are typically in closer to shore.  Great Lakes are much bigger and deeper lakes.  Conesus is only 66 feet deep max.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:51 PM »
The park at the narrows at the middle of the lake (N to S) was Long Point Park.  My wife (of nearly 40 years) and I went there back in 1972 and played miniature golf on the course built around some immense trees which still stand.  Much simpler times; No cell phones.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:13 PM »
im not  compairing them I  am using  examples   that  alewives  may  not  even  be  the  issue  with the  perch population .... and  I  have  seen  schools  of alewives  right in  Oswego harbor  in the  summer  .... I  would  think perhaps  there  could  be  another problem

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:23 PM »
The DEC stocked the rainbows to get rid of the Alewives!  Alewives eat the perch and walleye fry, thats why they stock fingerlying walleye in lakes with Alewives!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:39 PM »
Trap, 
Here is what I'm talking about (link below).  Lake Erie Alewive population is WAY down and the perch numbers are thriving.  The alewive numbers in Lake Ontario in the 90's were way down and perch populations were way up.  Alewive numbers are increasing and the perch population is down.  Look at the 2013 state of the lake meeting minutes.  The perch population is well below the 5 and 10 year average.  Spend some time on Conesus trolling around and you will see TONS of bait schools of alewives.  Not suprising that the perch population is next to nothing in Conesus today. 

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8659(1987)116%3C641%3APBAOLO%3E2.0.CO%3B2#preview

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:10 AM »
whatever is bigger eats the freakin other when hungry   lol,,, thus the avatar, eat or be eaten  lol
youngster

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Comparing Conesus to Ontario is like comparing apples to oranges. The DEC stocked rainbows, then stocked alewives for food..... end of perch, end of story.

Devo, my understanding is that this is urban legend and rumor about the "(DEC) then stocked alewives for food" into Conesus Lake.   I can find no indication where the DEC indicated that they stocked alewives in that lake.   They more than likely came from a dumped bait bucket(s)....just like the invasive and numerous Rudd that live in Conesus now.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Yeah, I've heard a lot of theories over the years and maybe it's true. Shiners and rudd I can see, but but how many bait stores sell alewives for bait? We always bought shiners or suckers.
 Anyway the lake is def overloaded with them, in the spring they boil on the surface at night as far as you can see and you hook them accidentally on almost every cast!
Also the suspended walleye get REAL fat on those alewives!  Good luck everyone.

Many moons ago, when there were more baitshops than today, people weren't using fishing electronics or downriggers and techniques like today, Alewives were quite common as trout bait (primarily lake trout) in bait shops in the Finger Lakes region.   Some people would even catch their own. 

I agree, the lake is overloaded with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.