The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Tip-Ups  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Bigfoot1595

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-Ups
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:20 AM »
Hey everyone, i was wondering what you all have for tip ups and how you like them, i need to buy some new one mine are pushing 30 years old and are starting to break down. :tipup:

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-Ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Look into Indian Hills, can't beat them, plus they are locally made and Mike offers top notch customer service.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:24 AM »
I really like my Black Majic tip-ups. Ease of set up and they really are wind proof.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Still rocking the 20 year old 40-Ups. Gotta save some pennies for Indian Hills though.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Indian Hills. Great tilts made by a member of this site and MA local.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:37 AM »
Indian Hills are only a couple bucks difference from a Heritage Laker but they come with a metal spool, a nifty flag locking device, a really great drag system, you can get them customized from the wood to the flag, and like I said locally made and good customer service.  It goes without saying, I love mine and everyone else I know with them feels the same.  Also, as tmuskie said, nothing better than a wind proof setup, I'd keep that in mind when shopping around.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:37 AM »
I HAD heritage lakers, NOW I have Indian Hills.
Indian hills have better hardware/fasteners etc. the wood doesn't seem to swell and make them difficult to fold. That is my biggest complaint with Heritage Lakers always tinkering with the wing nuts to get it to fold properly. On the other hand I am a fan of their flag spring being a little more "springy" also a huge fan of the clip to hold the flag down when not in use...the Indian hill on the other hand, my biggest complaint is holding the flag down when not in use. the sleeve designed to do this always wiggles off and the flag pops. but not a huge deal. I also think I may be changing the flag material on the Indian Hills. The felt collects snow/ ice/ water when you set them down on the ice making them heavier, and less visible.(easy fix)
Other then those things I feel the Indian Hills have a great advantage. Better hardware, wood doesn't swell, smoother drag system, and I prefer the metal reels on the IH as well. So I feel like the Indians have better qualities in the more important areas.
2 other large influences on going with Indian Hills was, Mikes customer service is constantly talked about. Every body rants and raves about him and his product, and the other was the fact that he is less then 20 minutes from me. Only 6 trips this year with the new indian hills but this is to-date my honest opinions on both.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Have heritage Lakers for last 5 years they are good but next year stepping up to some Indian hills.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:30 AM »
I run a guide service and I ONLY use heritage lakers... I own 140 of them, bought 60 more a month ago.  Do yourself a favor and don't buy the cheaper ones unless you plan on staining them. Buy the pre varnished ones to avoid getting wood swell. This also helps when packing up at the end of the day when it's cold, you can just break any ice right off of them and fold them up.

Biggest advantage to a laker other than their flag being superior is that other than the grease filled tube, every component is easily replaced should it ever fail. I literally run 70-90 lakers per day when me and my crew have multiple trips out and they always work flawlessly.

Every tip-up mentioned is a good tip up. But why spend the extra money to get a similar product. Just like anything else, if you maintain them properly they will last a lifetime.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:39 AM »
The lakers are 34.99, the Indian Hills are 37.. You are getting a better quality product, and better support with the Indian Hills. Mike is always around to take care of any issues.

If you want to try them out Bigfoot let me know. We can meet up on the ice and I got a set you can use for the day.

Offline motogsp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:43 AM »
[imghttp://][/img]

You could always build your own.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Bottom line is, everyone has their opinions...which is what you are looking for right?

All above tip-ups are good....but buy what you can afford. And upgrade as necessary. If you plan on fishing every weekend in all types of conditions, as well as traveling North or West (or over the border) then you may want to consider something that will last. That being said....I have friends who are still using their grandfather's tip-ups!!! And they catch as much fish as anyone else. It's not the tip-up, it;s the presentation and location, and PURE LUCK. Spend what you can afford.
If you are buying wooden tip-ups, take them apart, swap out the hardware with stainless, and use a good polyuerathane on them to protect them (I put several coats on my Heritage's 5+ years ago and they are still good as new).
If you are just going to fish at your local frog pond on occasion, then just buy something run of the mill. No need to spend $300 on gear.
Trust me on this one.  ;)2

Then again, if you've had your tip-ups for 30+ years you are no rookie!! Time to upgrade!!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:10 AM »
I run a guide service and I ONLY use heritage lakers... I own 140 of them, bought 60 more a month ago.  Do yourself a favor and don't buy the cheaper ones unless you plan on staining them. Buy the pre varnished ones to avoid getting wood swell. This also helps when packing up at the end of the day when it's cold, you can just break any ice right off of them and fold them up.

Biggest advantage to a laker other than their flag being superior is that other than the grease filled tube, every component is easily replaced should it ever fail. I literally run 70-90 lakers per day when me and my crew have multiple trips out and they always work flawlessly.

Every tip-up mentioned is a good tip up. But why spend the extra money to get a similar product. Just like anything else, if you maintain them properly they will last a lifetime.
ivr noticed no difference in the wood swelling on varnished vs non varnished

Offline PENCIL FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:32 PM »

I have been ice fishing for over 60 years and have had many different traps and have found the Indian Hill trap the best I have ever seen or used at any price . You will not be sorry if you buy them they will last you a life time.

Pencil fish

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:06 PM »
ivr noticed no difference in the wood swelling on varnished vs non varnished
Heritage changed their varnish three seasons ago due to that reason. Now it is minty fresh.  Also they changed glues to secure the spindle the spoil sits on so that it doesn't break loose.
The heritage tip ups made today are far superior to the ones if even just a few years ago.

Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Heritage changed their varnish three seasons ago due to that reason. Now it is minty fresh.  Also they changed glues to secure the spindle the spoil sits on so that it doesn't break loose.
The heritage tip ups made today are far superior to the ones if even just a few years ago.

I have the newest ones made and they are sick!  Ordered and shipped to me in 2 days....I would have preferred to buy from Mike but I had a need to fill quickly and the folks in Maine took good care of me.  No customer service needed either....if I need to replace hardware its readily available down the road from me, no calls, no waiting nice and easy.

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:09 PM »
I'm going on two seasons with my heritage lakers and have had no problems. I also have been using the bass pro jack trap ripoffs for 6 years now and love them. No drag on those but i usually use those for smaller bait. 

I would also like to warn you guys to stay away from Frabill hardwood classics. Beautiful looking tip ups but they are just junk. The triggers on them have spunoff and fallen down the hole on two of them (I had to make a piece to replace it), the flags are held on by some kind of tape which sucks and now they don't trip at all. I pulled them at the end of the day last year and was spooled on two of them, no flag went off. The spool spins but the trigger doesn't move.  Now they are collecting dust in my basement.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I use both indian hills and jack traps myself. Both work great and last. If your not sure go to a gathering and see every option out there in one day on the ice.

Flags up!
Ctown

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:37 PM »
HT black plastics with the large spools.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Bigfoot1595

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Thanks everyone. Also has anyone used the flat tips that cover the hole? i think i might try a few Indian Hill a few Heritage Lakers and maybe those flat HT ones if i hear good things about them

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:13 PM »
Support local ! Indian hills ... Good luck with your choice and they are 100% american made ! :P
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:21 PM »
The lakers are 34.99, the Indian Hills are 37.. You are getting a better quality product, and better support with the Indian Hills. Mike is always around to take care of any issues.

If you want to try them out Bigfoot let me know. We can meet up on the ice and I got a set you can use for the day.

Lakers are under $24

Go on sale in the offseason for under 20...

Offline KayakerB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Well done is better than well said
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I have a bunch of different tip ups including the round cover type.

The round HT style are similar to their polar tipups, but instead of the h frame, it is a plastic circle. I use them for days where there is a lot of blowing snow or the temps are below freezing and holes are freezing fast. The only down fall is the fact that they do not pack down real small so they can be awkward to store. It is nice to be able to see if the line is paying out from a distance.

I have some of the bright Orange round fragile thermal tipups.  I like using these when fishing shallow water on days where the snow is blowing or holes freezing. The down fall is the fact that the flag is short.  You have to position the hard plastic flag so it can be seen well from a distance. They pack nice and small and can be packed in a bucket or nylon bag made for them.

They say both round styles can be used on holes as large as 10". I used them over an 8" hole and they work great. I would be nervous if using over a 10" hole if there is rain and a bit of melt during the day.  I also get nervous on lakes where snowmobiles and atv's are flying around. I have seen people get these low traps run over and destroyed

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:33 PM »
It was mentioned that everyone has their own favorites. I've seen them all and still wouldn't use any but the ones I have been using for 20 years. Dad won them about 35 years ago at a derby. Made in Westfield ma. Called the Windcheater. You will notice the oval cut out in the side of the aluminum box. The flag bar hook sits inside the wind box. The only way the flag will fly is when the release hook comes out the oval hole releasing the flag bar. I've had to do some repairs throughout the years because of heavy use. I've modified them a little here and there. I'm gonna build an exact duplicate set with exotic Purple Heart wood, incredibly strong and looks cool! Do you're research and I'm sure the great guys on this site will help in any way possible 👍

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Just ordered my Indian Hills the other day.  Can't wait to get them.  Best tilts on the market.  Plus Mike is a shanty member and makes them right here in MA with 100% parts that were made in the USA.  Go  buy the last set of tilts you will ever need to buy (until you decide you want 5 more).
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Just ordered my Indian Hills the other day.  Can't wait to get them.  Best tilts on the market.  Plus Mike is a shanty member and makes them right here in MA with 100% parts that were made in the USA.  Go  buy the last set of tilts you will ever need to buy (until you decide you want 5 more).
Ed gets commission lol :-) are you sure 100% USA? That is awesome if true!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:47 AM »
I have the newest ones made and they are sick!  Ordered and shipped to me in 2 days....I would have preferred to buy from Mike but I had a need to fill quickly and the folks in Maine took good care of me.  No customer service needed either....if I need to replace hardware its readily available down the road from me, no calls, no waiting nice and easy.

Doesnt get much faster than a 20-30 min drive to Mikes house. Or next day standard USPS since hes so close. Hell Mike would probably drive halfway to meet up if you needed him to lol.

That being said, i havent heard of any issues with Indian Hills that werent user error. IE: Losing a flag, or a mouse eating the felt. And Mike warranties against that as well. Cant tell you how many posts ive seen with him replacing flags for those two reasons.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Will again I'd like to do business with him, I've used the traps, they are great no doubt....but when you want 15 of them it's not happening from what I understand unless you get that order in the off season...so I bought a set of the newest lakers, which are super nice as well, I have some complaints...

Its all about scale, Mike has more demand than he can handle....time to go the way of JackTraps and try a retail location and crank up production. I know someone who wanted to buy 80 IH traps and even with my best efforts we couldn't seem to make it happen...biggest part of customer service is having the product readily available to the consumer, its why Heritage got my business....

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:32 AM »
 I made my own 20 years ago... I never found the perfect tip up.. every one had one or two things I didn't like about them.. so I made what I wanted... my only flaw was the trigger... which some times froze... 3 or 4 years ago I bought jack trap triggers and adapted them to my tip ups and all is good... I've owned( still own) 40 ups... I think I have about 30 of them... I've got polar tip ups in 2 styles and really don't care for them... I have about a dozen old "fish crafter" made in Worcester mass. back in the 60's... those are as fine a trap as was ever made for  small water lakes and ponds.. all brass hardware a quality spring steel... rock maple cross and uprights... some of the new tip ups look real sweet.. but you need to take a second mortgage out to purchase a complete set..if I were to buy new tip ups I'd go with the jack traps myself...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:37 AM »
Having owned, used and crushed bass on your plugs Joe I can only imagine what your traps look like!  Any pics of the customs?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.