New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Gr Sacandaga ice report  (Read 42820 times)

Offline colobok

• IceShanty Rookie
Gr Sacandaga ice report
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 12:57 PM »
ANY ICE REPORTS FOR THE GR. SACANDAGA LAKE.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gr Sacandaga ice report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 03:43 PM »
colobok, i was up there last weekend & they were all over the lake with quads & snowmobiles on the main lake. i talked to my sister yesterday who lives up there & she said she went over the northville bridge  yesterday & they were out there with cars & pick-ups on north hampton beach. walt

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Yes this may be true but is anyone catching anything?

Tight lines~

camo_fish

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:00 PM »
sure there are tons of eyes, perch, pike, and rainbows. All get caught, you just have to be in the right spot at the right time.
Go out from sport island pub and get out in the middle.
good luck

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Is anyone really catching Rainbows in Sacadaga?? I thought it was more of bass, pan fish and pike type of lake

camo_fish

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Is anyone really catching Rainbows in Sacadaga?? I thought it was more of bass, pan fish and pike type of lake
they some nice ones on the open water, but again on the hard water, it is a very tought lake to crack.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:21 PM »
They are catching walleyes,but not sure of anything elser!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:25 PM »
camo,
I have a friend who has a house up by the dam(northern end) He tells me he hasnt had much luck in that part of the lake for years. I just have never heard of anyone doing well but then again maybe I talking with the wrong people...
What have you heard on Glen Lake and rainbows?

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:49 PM »
     Frank says ice is good but he's checking again tomorrow to see if he can get the big shack over the thinner channel ice below Northville bridge. I'm bringin' a bunch of new 'Stuff' to try out, and may stay all night. It'll be my first time on the Sac. this year and am anxious to see them 'Puppies,(Mud Puppies that is), swimmin' around on the TV screen.
      If I can remember who I loaned my generator to I'll bring that along with a VHS recorder and try for some vids of what swims and lives down there. :tipup:
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline jmh8098

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:41 PM »
Check your regs, you can't keep rainbows through the ice on Glen Lake.  Monroe or Trout Lake is a good bet though.

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:54 PM »
Check your regs, you can't keep rainbows through the ice on Glen Lake.  Monroe or Trout Lake is a good bet though.
right now, I PM'd jflood about the NO Rainbows. they watch that place pretty heavily during the winter.

It'll be my first time on the Sac. this year and am anxious to see them 'Puppies,(Mud Puppies that is), swimmin' around on the TV screen.
Should be plenty of ice, there were tons of people out on the ice Monday.
Good luck and hope ya guys limit out and get to watch some cool underwater TV.  ;D

camo,
I have a friend who has a house up by the dam(northern end) He tells me he hasnt had much luck in that part of the lake for years. I just have never heard of anyone doing well but then again maybe I talking with the wrong people...
During the hard water it is a mystery body of water.  ??? And there have been a good number of eyes taken off the ice, but with the water level being at super high. It is going to be even harder, the fishies have all that extra room to swim. But the southern and western sides are better on the ice.

Good Luck and stay safe out there.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:06 AM »
Have never fished Sacandaga but have always wanted to...where is the best spot for making a go of fishing pike there in winter? I know nothing of the area so as much info as you can give would be appreciated......I think it would be about a 4 hour trip for us to get there...thanks.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:12 AM »
Me and Upstate went out there last night and there was about 6-7" of ice in most spots with snow and slush, we drove out with the wheeler. We talked with a couple of guys that were there fishing and at 2 of there holes there was only 3" of ice, so be careful.

As far as the fishing goes we caught 1 dink eye, we then moved to the spot where I caught the crappie last week and caught 2 more of them ;D, missed a few more bites and marked a bunch on the VEX. So now we have a nice little Crappie hole on the Dead Sea ;).

I forgot to add this, a guy I know who lives on the Sac told me over in Broadalbin on some bay that people were driving their pick-up trucks on the lake already :woot: :%$#!:.

Robb :tipup:

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:32 AM »
Yikes, driving trucks on some parts??  I wouldn't even take my quad out there. 

Not for nothing, but let me ask a question here.  Has anyone ever taken a walleye bigger than 5lbs out of that lake?  The reason i ask, is every year, a group of us enter a derby in feb.  Seems the last three years, in the first hour of the competition, some guy brings in a 8-9lb walleye to win the competition.  Now either i have really bad luck or i'm totally fishing in the wrong spots, but i've been fishing on that lake for a long time, and i never catch any walleye with size (especially weight).  Please, someone set me straight and tell me they've caught monster walleye out of there!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:47 AM »
Yikes, driving trucks on some parts??  I wouldn't even take my quad out there. 

Not for nothing, but let me ask a question here.  Has anyone ever taken a walleye bigger than 5lbs out of that lake?  The reason i ask, is every year, a group of us enter the fish-house derby in feb.  Seems the last three years, in the first hour of the competition, some guy brings in a 8-9lb walleye to win the competition.  Now either i have really bad luck or i'm totally fishing in the wrong spots, but i've been fishing on that lake for a long time, and i never catch any walleye with size (especially weight).  Please, someone set me straight and tell me they've caught monster walleye out of there!

They are in there but I've never caught one >:(. So I must have bad luck too! But I have cauht some nice trout through the ice and I lost a huge pike during a contest a couple of years ago :'(.

Robb :tipup:

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Thor, my brother caught a 7 lb'er out of there three years ago and I got a 5 lb'er last year. I know of a couple of guys that have caught big ones also. We live by the lake so we fish that lake more than other lakes. There have been many days with out even catching a dink, but we know that there are some big walleyes and pike there so we put our time in.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:47 PM »
Thor, my brother caught a 7 lb'er out of there three years ago and I got a 5 lb'er last year. I know of a couple of guys that have caught big ones also. We live by the lake so we fish that lake more than other lakes. There have been many days with out even catching a dink, but we know that there are some big walleyes and pike there so we put our time in.

Wow! Those are nice walleye.  I know the pike are huge, i still think sacandaga is the best place in NYS for trophy pike.  Just give me a hint, are the big walleye being caught in the fat-mayfield end of the lake or the skinny-edinburg/day side of the lake? ;D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:03 PM »
I started fishing that lake last winter, and put some good time on it, and I love that lake, still have yet to catch a 5+lb walleye, or a big pike, but still fun none the less knowing that the state record came from this lake.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Still the North American Record!!!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:01 PM »
fished Sacandaga yesterday, 4-5 inches of good ice with a bunch of wet nasty crap on top

managed a few tiny perch (2-3 inchers) and a mudpuppy (14 in)

:pinch:  they are ugly boogers

looks like they let a bunch of water from the Res...  beware

tightlines

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:05 PM »
  Dude ive heard of like 7 or 8 mudpuppies coming outa there this season  :o
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:10 PM »
carogakid and I must have caught 3 dozen in the opening week of walleye season this year

they are everywhere makin FAT pike  :)

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:36 PM »
We fish the Mayfield-Northville area of the Sacandaga. If you get to the Mayfield area stop in at Fuel and Food on Rt 30,to check out some of the pictures of some of the pike and eyes that have came out of that lake.( He also has bait and food there).

Offline dodger11

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great Sacandaga Lake Ice Conditions
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:31 AM »
If anyone has been out on the dead sea recently, please post the ice conditions here..thanks

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake Ice Conditions
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:05 AM »
Saturday and Sunday I talked with icefisherman who said the sheriff deputies were tell everyone to get off and stay off the lake.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:45 AM »
I went out Saturday down by the campsite beach. had no prbs getting on or off, but up by the bridage there was open water so if you plan to go out please be smart and have a buddy or something..we don't need anyone going through..
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline dodger11

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sacandaga/Saratoga
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:34 PM »
This weekends Fish House Tournament has been cancelled. >:(

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Hopefully the Sacandaga will harden up this week.  i believe there is a tourny this weekend.  hoping to get out there and chase a few flags.   :tipup:

b.r.a.a.h.
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline dodger11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:21 AM »
This weekends tourney ( :(Fish House Tournament) has been cancelled..

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:48 AM »
dARN IT I WAS PLANNING ON FISHING IN THAT...
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.