Author Topic: Is The Season Over ?????  (Read 6471 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is The Season Over ?????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Ice is gone here in northern Indiana ponds. Doesn't look safe on the lakes as far as I can tell. Too cold to comfortably open water fish and not get your guides frozen up and I still want to ice fish. Whats a guy to do? Here's my solution until we good ice.

Ice shanty screwed down to the end of the 70 foot pier with deck screws through the floor and washers to keep them from tearing through. I also secured the shanty later with rope (not rope seen laying in pic).  She's really on there so I'm don't take a tumble into the water like sandwich in zip lock bag!   It's not as flimsy as it looks. The part that is extended over is not the wide and and it's not stepped on anyway Only downside is I am about 10 inches about the water line but I have a small scoop net and long handle so I should be able to scoop fish in if need be. Maybe set it as a safety net right on one side of the opening.

What do you think? I'm so impressed I'm going to drive more posts in the future and build a permanet shed on the pier that I can use for ice fishing in winter and storage in summer. My pier is permanent as ice damage isn't a problem in small ponds. Yeah I know pier needs some adjustment but it's much more sturdier than it looks. Floating thing inthe background is a floating cage where I put feed trained bass fingerlings into until they are large enough to release into the pond. Post with nails on top is for a bug light to hang on and the nails are to keep fish predator birds from landing on it.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:21 PM »
That is awesome.....  :o

Don't let the weather beat you  :flex:

Just be careful running  to the tip up's  ::)

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:24 PM »
  :tipup: I wana see tip-ups floatin out there then you guys will be al set  ;) Hopefully youll get some ice out there :tipup:
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:29 PM »
That's off the hook right there!   I guess do what you got to do to get some "ice fishing" in.  man you can even use that thing in the summer if you feel like it, although I think it might get a little hot in the shanty !  Reminds me of a time a few years back when I was out on a lake and a guy must not have anchored his shanty to the ice.  Wind came up and the shanty blows away with him inside of it.  The shanty starts tumbling and finally somehow the guy gets out of it after it goes at least 200 yards down the ice.  As he gets out I notice the shanty starting to smoke and within about 30 seconds the whole thing is engulfed.  He must of had a heater going that caught the canvas on fire!  I wish I had a video of it.  Was really quite funny at the time and fortunately no one was hurt!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:38 PM »
That is awesome.....  :o

Don't let the weather beat you  :flex:

Just be careful running  to the tip up's  ::)

No tip ups thank goodness! Athough I suppose I could put on in the shanty with me?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Fishing report form the shack on a track.

Well it definitely does the job but all I got today were dink bluegill, perch, and one very small crappe. Missed a lot of bites that I assume were probably small fish. Sure hope it's not a small fish area and I'm set up over a goods spot (i.e. too clean of bottom not enough weeds or other things that attract the bigger fish in another part of the pond.) I do know the bottom weeds vary tremendously in this pond. On the other hand some of these fish were small enough to be forage fish so maybe the big perch come here from time to time. Could also be the sudden loss of ice has put them off balance or something. Gonna hit it all day tomorrow and bring the Vex and see if maybe I'm not fishing at the right depth. The Vex should also keep me alert for any nibblers I assume.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:46 PM »
you can put your traps on inner tubes and tie them to your dock. :roflmao: :roflmao: that is just to funny,can't say iv'e seen any thing like that.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.