New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: lake lonely  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
lake lonely
« on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Anyone think its safe to fish Lake Lonely . I want to take my little nephew out but no way want to risk it.

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: lake lonely
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:02 PM »
there was 4 guys with 2 shelters on the back side around 11am this morning
I Live To Fish

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:30 PM »
yes, they have been on the lake for a week now.
be safe and have a fun time on the ice.  :tipup:

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:54 AM »
was out there on 2" 4 weeks ago. seemed like no fish in there and I fish that lots and do really well. Big winter kill last year, counted over 70 crappies dead mixed with gills several large pike and a big bass all dead floating down by the golf course this april. I called DEC and they said it is most likely winter kill, but could also be related to chemicals used on the golf course. All the fish were still alive which was strange, but could not swim away. Freaked me out actually.....

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:13 AM »
was out there on 2" 4 weeks ago. seemed like no fish in there and I fish that lots and do really well. Big winter kill last year, counted over 70 crappies dead mixed with gills several large pike and a big bass all dead floating down by the golf course this april. I called DEC and they said it is most likely winter kill, but could also be related to chemicals used on the golf course. All the fish were still alive which was strange, but could not swim away. Freaked me out actually.....

I have a medical back ground. Yup. Def. sounds like chemicals from the golf course.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:26 AM »
Thank you guys that helps, god I hope the golf course is not killing our fish. If anyone sees this again I would get an enconn officer involved, a good one is supposed to be our wildlife steward.

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Friend of mine was out there last weekend, said he caught a good haul of crappie right off the golf course, so they're not all gone.  That is disturbing though,  makes me wonder if they're safe to eat. Going to try to head out there tomorrow afternoon and see what I can do.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:39 AM »
zombie fish!? I'm confused...you said they were dead and then you said they were still alive. :whistle:

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:04 PM »
yep all floating on the surface, you could grab them and they would try to swim but would float back to the surface. They were discolored and they all were in the same kinda shape like it happened to them all at the same time. Hey no reason to lie man. I fish lonely all the time just something I noticed that shocked me.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I have a medical back ground. Yup. Def. sounds like chemicals from the golf course.

The "kill" reported here is probably just seasonal, as they only treat the golf course in the spring and early summer. My son used to work at a golf course and he agrees with me. His course's pond usually got some "weed kill" of fish, as they called it, early spring, through early summer, when they dosed the course with fertilizer and weed killer. He says it was usually a small number of fish affected and some seemed to recover, as he saw some actually swim off, after being "stunned" for a while.

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Ferts and chem runoff from the course,the new weed harvester they bought this summer that tore the hell out of that end of the lake this summer,monster algae blooms the last few years,way too much catch and keep of everything year round out there for the last 5 years,its all taking its toll on that small piece of water. Been on that lake since 96' and have watched it slowly dying these last years,i used to but now would not eat nada outta there.

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:41 PM »
I could not agree more with Billy.  The lake has become a disaster with the chemicals from the golf course and the weed harvester that hacked up the upper bay.  The other problem is the way people fish the lake and take every type of fish they catch no matter what size.  Of course the way the four wheelers/snowmobiles tear up the access path we won't have to wait long for that to be taken away from us.  Each time I go in there I fill up a large garbage bag with all the empty cans/trash/etc. left along the trail in and out of the lake.

Eagle Ed

Offline clarky215285

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Went there today.  Dad caught and released two pike.  I caught and released a bass and kept a catfish. 

Offline clarky215285

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:07 PM »

Offline clarky215285

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:07 PM »
12" of ice 1/23/15

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:24 AM »
12" goona be interesting for the auger! Still hoping to get to Lonely. Any advice on fishing for Crappie? Hoping to catch some with my son. (10)

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:25 AM »
Managed to get out with my son yesterday; got skunked! ???

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Anyone fished LONELY recently?

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Seems lonely is a little slow this year. Tried my old spot from last year and action really slow.  ???

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:37 AM »
Saratoga lake has been slow this year too, it could be something similar on lonely or the years of over fishing is catching up to lonely
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Saratoga lake has been slow this year too, it could be something similar on lonely or the years of over fishing is catching up to lonely

there ya go.  Lake has been put through the ringer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.