Author Topic: Baits for crappie  (Read 839 times)

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
Baits for crappie
« on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Hi All, I have become a pretty avid open water crappie fisherman but have limited ice fishing experience. My experience consist of fishing ponds with ice jigs and bee moth for bluegill. My parents live near Mississinewa so I'm thinking about trying for crappie maybe next weekend. Wondering what the preferred bait of choice is for crappie through the ice?

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Baits for crappie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Me personally blue/chrome,black/chrome small jiggin raps, second is a crappie tube blue again or pink for me, then minnies but each work and out perform the others at different times but thats usually what i start with

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Me personally blue/chrome,black/chrome small jiggin raps, second is a crappie tube blue again or pink for me, then minnies but each work and out perform the others at different times but thats usually what i start with

When you say crappie tubes are you talking about the regular sized tube jigs I would use during open water or are these smaller?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:43 PM »
When you say crappie tubes are you talking about the regular sized tube jigs I would use during open water or are these smaller?
In reservoirs, small is not always a good idea. Most bait fish are 3" or better right now. I'll be using Bobby Garland scented wigglr, baby shad, raps, traps, spoon, and hair... Just like open water.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Jiggin raps are good to use at Missy and I caught some some on jigs n spikes as well!!

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Small spoons, jigging raps, or put some kind of plastic tail on anything you'd use for bluegill.   Gives it a little bigger profile, and usually they can't resist the wiggle of the tail.
Fish On'

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:05 PM »
They seem to love jigging raps of all sizes and colors. Heck they Love all Spoons too! As a matter of fact they Love EVERYTHING!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:26 PM »
I like the jigging raps sizes 2,3 & 5.  The cool thing about the #2 rap is you may catch some big gills too.... especially if tipped with spikes. You're also likely to lose them to walleye, pike, bass.  They are good lures.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:35 PM »
jigging raps are good, so are small panfish jigs tipped with spikes or plastic.  If I'm targeting crappie I always have at least one rod rigged with an ice buster and a minnow. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.