Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lost Grove Lake  (Read 2892 times)

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lost Grove Lake
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Anyone been out to check the ice thickness lately? I have been dealing with some health issues at home and havent been able to make it out to check.

Offline bigchris074

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lost Grove Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I Checked yesterday just before the snow storm on the small side about 20 feet out from the landing. There was 6 inches of ice. my auger was dull so I did not check any further out. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:44 PM »
I Checked yesterday just before the snow storm on the small side about 20 feet out from the landing. There was 6 inches of ice. my auger was dull so I did not check any further out.

Be careful there. About 50' out from the canoe launch was open water last Weds... so it is going to be thinner than the rest. Then going west from there was all open water. Also open water on the west bays in the south end of the little lake. South bay down by the over-flow should be safe, there was 3" there last weds. Half way across, almost straight out from the overflow, is a brush pile that always holds bluegill. Sometimes the crappies are there as well.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bigchris074

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:58 PM »
im glad my auger was dull! I think we should be fine after Wednesday to fish Lost Grove.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:06 PM »
I think you PROBABLY would have been safe, but I just want everyone to know that it will not be even ice out there. Sounds like it grew 3" from when I was there last, if you measured 6"... so the open water areas are probably safe at 3-4".. but be aware and it wouldn't hurt to use a spud in your travels. Don't know how much of this powder snow stayed on the wind blown lost grove lake.. but I'd say after this weekend you'll be good to go without any issues.

I've got other lakes on my mind for next week, so you'll have to let me know how you do at lost grove. Last ice in mid march we caught the heck out of the crappies there. All suspended 2-3' down over 11-12' of water. Some nice numbers of 11-12" fish as well! Also hit them on the same pattern all through early spring in open water. Tons of 9-10" fish with good numbers of 11-12" when they were running. Didn't keep any, so my share is still in there! Seems like the 11-12" fish were in one school, since I fished nearly the entire lake for 4 days catching nothing but 8-9" fish until I found them.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jdhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Anyone been out this week?  This will be my first outing on this lake as we recently moved to the area.  Is the east side main lake worth fishing yet?  Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Main lake has tons of crappies in the 8-9" range, if that is what you are after. Long walk though.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Larrycindyus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for info!! heading out there Saturday!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Should be one hell of a group out there sat. I know of at least 15 guys going, and there was 15 on the lake today.. so I'd say at least 30-50 groups out there this weekend. My group will be out there, we'll have 5-6 guys I'm sure. One idiot out there today said he was going to try and drive his truck on the ice saturday.. so get ready for the rescue. There's about 10" across the lake. That place has turned into the "if you don't know how to fish go to..." area. Everyone and their brother goes out there and watches people fish then spreads the word when they see someone catch something. Was out there today and saw at least 5 trucks stop with binoculars and watch us fish. Time to break out the flipover and hide from everyone I guess.

Drilled up a new area on Tuesday where not a single hole had been drilled and caught a few small gills, today there was 4 tents, 8 guys and about 75 holes where they saw me catch the fish.

What stinks is that 90% of the people out there can't catch a fish.. but they'll be glad to drill right next to you and try. Then tell everyone they know that you caught fish. The fish are coming in schools and are for the most part suspended, so if you don't have a flasher you won't do very well. The 3 guys with me who did not have flashers today caught 9 bluegills combined.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Larrycindyus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I have an lx6 and I'll make sure to put tent up. Thanks a lot!!

Offline jdhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Just wondering is the crowd generally on the main lake or the west side?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:26 PM »
West side.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tubbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Well me and the wife are getting ready to head out.  Will be our first time fishing since we moved here.  Wish us luck.  Just hope to atleast get some bites. 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Sounds like the people during open water season down here...binoculars and all. Catch something, next thing you know they jump out of their vehicles with 3 poles rigged and ready and start casting shoulder to shoulder with you lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Pretty slow today. In fact I did not mark a fish from 12-2. I caught a few when I first got there, but it was slow. Saw a gill and crappie caught here and there. Almost everyone had left the lake by 2.

Nice meeting you tubbie, wish you had some better luck though!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tubbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:36 PM »
Nice meeting you as well.   We were glad to just be able to get out on the ice, but I definitely see that I am going to need to buy a flasher. 

Offline wjs0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Not 100% but I think there is a tourny next weekend.

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:57 PM »
The tourney is 1/31.

Offline jdhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Anyone have updates on the ice conditions?

Offline oxdeleon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:05 PM »
I fished on 8" in the qc area today.

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:17 PM »
9" at Lost Grove today.

Offline wjs0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:48 AM »
9" at Lost Grove today.
Any luck yesterday?  I was there from an out 10-1 and it was pretty slow. 

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Slow.  6 keeper gills from 3:30-6:00 pm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.