Author Topic: Central Illinois Ice conditions  (Read 9719 times)

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
Central Illinois Ice conditions
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Just wondered what ice we have in the Bloomington,  Decatur, Springfield areas now. Even over from Jacksonville to Quincy. After Wednesday we should have 2-3" and hopefully 4" by Saturday I hope.
Anybody been out to check?
Shawn

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Central Illinois Ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Won't bother checking until Thursday I live around Clinton.  Heading over to Jim Edgar maybe Monday???   Willing to meet up if you're interested.  Jeremy
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline grizzlyg2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:45 AM »
might be interested in riding with you again. if you don't mind

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:27 AM »
No problem we will get together gonna do a little checking tomorrow if I'm home...and we will go from there!
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline grizzlyg2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:20 AM »
just went to weldon springs.  A lot of open water

Offline iceguy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Any word on the ice thickness. Im an avid open water fisherman but never ice fished and eager to try it. Been researching the last 2 week's and am ready to put all this knowledge to the test. I live in Champaign and was thinking about going to homer on Saturday.

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:29 PM »
OK weldon springs is locked up finally.  There is a 10 foot section open by pump geese still have open.  Drilled around boat docks and launch 5 inches!  Did not venture past that.  Use caution.  Hope this helps plan on trying to fish Friday or Saturday.  Hit me up if you're interested. Jeremy 
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline klrbaer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:58 PM »
I checked several private lakes this week and I've had 3.5 to 5 inches on all 6 lakes I checked.
The lakes were east of Peoria.

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:29 PM »
OK weldon springs is locked up finally.  There is a 10 foot section open by pump geese still have open.  Drilled around boat docks and launch 5 inches!  Did not venture past that.  Use caution.  Hope this helps plan on trying to fish Friday or Saturday.  Hit me up if you're interested. Jeremy

That helps a lot, thanks Jeremy! Good enough to venture out with caution for me! Any snow on top?

cheers,

Jeff

Offline cjlangellier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Any word on the ice thickness. Im an avid open water fisherman but never ice fished and eager to try it. Been researching the last 2 week's and am ready to put all this knowledge to the test. I live in Champaign and was thinking about going to homer on Saturday.

I went out to Homer today and checked ice depth out to about 100' from the south launch. Ice depth was 4" at 80' and 3"-3-1/2" at 100' from the shore. Geese have a small hole opened at the dam as usual. Ice should be good to go by Saturday but it's best to use caution and check ice depth as you make your way out on the lake. Some of the ice is nice dense clear ice and some isn't.

Offline iceguy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:08 AM »
Awesome thanks for the reports guys. I'll definitely be on the ice Saturday. What's usually the best time to? Plannin on being out all day but is there a benefit to starting really early?

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Jeff light dusting of snow on top... may finish blowing most of it off with the wind. Looks like Sunday I'm going to head to that special spot!!!!!!  If you want to meet up. 

Really haven't noticed a supreme better bite in the morning iceguy22 just more time to fish!!! ;)
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Jeremy,

The threat of freezing rain has me a bit spooked to head east and north so I may stay more local and fish Beaver Dam Sunday. Can't wait to get out and chase some pannies!  ;D @) Do you have any plans for the holiday weekend in January?

Jeff

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Hey Jeff, I would like to know how you did at beaver dam. I have Ben there but never fished it. Good luck.
Shawn
Shawn

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:44 PM »
I'll post a report...if it's worthy  ;). I fished there many moons ago and the panfish were small. The 2013 IDNR report made it sound a little better. Oh well, there are always trout to play with.

Jeff

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Springfield area has fishable ice.  Fished a farm pond in Petersburg Sunday and it had 4-5" of solid ice.  Gridley pond out at Site M had open water in the middle (geese), but the coves had 4" of ice.  Drake had 4" of ice too (watch out for the spring at the end of the first point to the right/south of the boat ramp).
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline fatfenders

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Hit a local private pond near Mahomet Saturday and Sunday. Had 5-6" of good ice. Caught a few bluegills and crappie late Saturday afternoon and went back Sunday morning. Took a while to find fish Sunday. Had to move shallower but eventually found enough fish to keep us amused. Forecast looks good through the weekend so hoping to get out a couple more times.

Kevin

:icefish:

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:43 PM »

Well fishing was tough but very nice to be out.  These are from Weldon Springs State Park today.  Ice was around 6 inches with slop on top!
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:23 AM »
gotta like that sled trail shot

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Drown those waxworms while you can.  Temps next week are going to be crawling into the 40s.  Hope the overnight lows are sufficient to keep the ice intact.   
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Whitebeard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Hit a couple of farm ponds North of Jacksonville today. One had 4-1/2" of  ice, the other 7". Was able to catch a few bluegills and 2 nice sized bass.

Offline iceguy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Anyone have luck ice fishing at night? I'd imagine youd have to use glow jigs.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Anyone have luck ice fishing at night? I'd imagine youd have to use glow jigs.

Do you think fish swim around bumping into stuff when the sun is not up?   ;D

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:26 PM »
If you've never tried fishing at night...you should. Pick a lake that has clear water, which makes it more possible for the fish to see at night and for the low-light food (eg. zooplankton/daphnia) to become active. You can actually watch the water come alive in the evening on your fish finder when the sun begins to set and when you turn your lantern on. Some of the best ice fishing I've ever done in my life has been at night.

tight lines,

Jeff

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Lake Petersburg. Does anybody know if the public can fish this lake? Is it worth trying?
Shawn

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:54 AM »
I used to live on Lake Petersburg.  It is a private lake.  If you know someone (or know someone that knows someone) you can get on it.  The problem is that the roads are tight and you have to either park at someone's house or side yard and walk through their yard to get on the ice.  If they do not know you, you will likely get a visit from the fuzz or the lake ranger.  It really is a roll of the dice.  Given that the local cops can be real dicks, I would just drive past Petersburg and fish the ponds and lakes at Site M.   

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Fished a farm pond in Virginia this morning.  Caught 40 nice gills in about 90 minutes.  Ice was about 6'' thick.  Recent forecast is calling for highs in the 40s until Tuesday.     :'(

Offline spcsports

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Nice catch Vanderlan. Thinking of going to Jim Edger sat morning.
Shawn

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:29 PM »

First 17 out of the bucket.  Only caught one redear.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Looks like the low overnight temps are working to preserve the ice.  Drilled a few holes in the neighbor's pond and the ice is still a solid five inches thick.   :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.