Author Topic: The road less travelled (Lake Wpg) (pics)  (Read 1694 times)

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
The road less travelled (Lake Wpg) (pics)
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:31 AM »
Welcome to the 10th largest fresh water lake in the world...

every year lake wpg take casualties of the fishing world . may it just be a heavy wind taking a fisherman's brand new pop tent and break it into pieces

or may it be harsh cold temps that just shatters all our plastic fishing equipment and then forces you to" tap out" to mother nature and turn around and head back home
The "BIG WINDY"  is a lake that needs to be respected and not took for granted or she will swallow you whole and spit you out..

every year big windy is a new puzzle that the fishing community has to solve to enjoy her precious fishing resources...

this years HUGE problem is finally not snow... (so far)..(knock on wood) ..this years HUGE problem is a far south ice ridge.. it has force most fisherman to stick to shallow area's of the south west ...      BUT        This has been some of the best fishing this area has ever seen ,,   

everyday there are monster walleyes being pulled out of 6-7 fow .  I have never seen so many awesome pictures of big walleyes and most came from these trapped area's that most people are forced to fish cause we can't cross these huge  and daily opening ice ridges ..(scary stuff)

almost every second day there is a person that tries to cross these ice ridges with out respecting what this obstacle is in front of them ...
oh I have a 4x4 and im all good ,,,  sorry to the people who tired and busted through and all of sudden fell to the Mercy  of the lake and felt stupid and helpless ,
 but the province of Manitoba holds a licence plate that says FRIENDLY MANITOBA.. 
thank your blessing cause there is  usually a kind hearted fisher person who seen you attempt..
but will back up and pull your truck out , and smile at you and say "your welcome"   

you drive on the lake and you will see main tire tracks, paths and trails ,  most people in there right minds will follow the trail

lake wpg is home to lots of people and they know there stuff , and always come on the lake PREPARED.. 

--TOW ROPE
-- SHOVEL
--FOOD
--TOOL TO SMASH WINDOWS
--PROPER CLOTHES
--PLANKS
--BATTERY POWER PACK (Boost a frozen tuck)
--AND A PLAN..

well me and dave had a plan ... plan was to fish the red river mouth....   we wanted it ,   so we prepared for it
check list ... CHECK ...

if you want to get off the beaten path ,, be ready for the worst and be ready for the best ... 

WORST

jagged shark fin ice (take out your tires) (spare tire)

snowdrifts that can trap you fast , (shovel)(tow rope)

ice ridges (most dangerous )  (planks) (shovel) (tow rope) (food) (warm clothes)  (and a PLAN) =be ready for the worst

everyone makes mistakes and takes chances
and deserve a second chance or three..   

if you came to lake wpg and had screw ups and lost the battle , don't give up be prepare next time and learn from your mistakes

me and most of my friends take risk taking chances to unbeaten paths to fishing spots ,
today we had a plan
were crossing this ice ridge from hell
packed a chainsaw and planks to conquer this ridge that is just in our way ,,

did some work and finally found a spot that looked promising and safe ,   we had a heavy ice bar to test the ice ridge for weaknesses
ice ridges some times give you the illusion that they are frozen and safe to cross

biggest mistake everyone  is doing
this years ice ridges are opening and rising daily , so just cause you made it across in the morning ,
 doesn't mean you will be able to make it back in a few hours ,   so be ready to have a plan..

fishing was slower then normal ..the fish we did get hammered and inhaled the rattle baits..
 what ADVENTURE ..

ice is getting  thick almost time for extension ,  make sure you pack one , 

after you safely cross the south west ice ridge you are golden ,  travel was no problem .
 you have to steer around small drifts and some shark fin sharp ice but otherwise today we travelled in 2wd , and only touch 4x4 crossing the ice ridge

I cant believe no one is posting any updates on lake wpg .   

[URL=http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/Mikey_Smith1/media/IMG_62881_zpsdae0ef9a.png.html]
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/Mikey_Smith1/IMG_0220_zps9e82a427.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: The road less travelled (Lake Wpg) (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:29 AM »
           Wow! Congratulations!

Excellent fish!

WS

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Excellent synopsis, report and photos as usual Mikey!  :thumbsup:
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Steven_Polaris

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GEMME WALLEYE
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Awesome Report!
"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Sweet Post Mikey!!!

Offline Bowkes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Great post, and good things to think about. Im not experienced with the lake and it scares me the stories I hear about things going wrong which makes me shy away. However some good things mentioned. I know there is no such thing as "safe ice" however the fish I see being pulled out of there makes you think I'll have to get out there !

Offline lexbroski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:31 PM »
You couldn't be more right, its all about prep and planning. 

Must've been fun setting a tent up out there today.

Offline lakerunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:46 PM »
It looks like you must of spent a  fare bit of time with your chain saw prepping that spot to cross.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:56 PM »
awesome write up, sure looks like some world class fishing. one day I will make it north of the border to fish!
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.