New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: canadice/ hemlock lakes.  (Read 12010 times)

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
Re: canadice/ hemlock lakes.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Icerougue, you have posted partially correct information.  The PCB health advisory is on Canadice Lake ONLY for Lakers and Browns.  Hemlock Lake is general statewide advisory of 4 meals a month.  No PCB concern in Hemlock Lake.

Here is the current information
http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2768.pdf
Copy! Tks for the correction

Offline btatar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Hey any of you guys go for the smelt in the creeks in the spring?

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:37 AM »
Copy! Tks for the correction

Does anyone else think that a health advisory for women under 50 and children under 15 is concerning?  I mean I'm not a fan of eating Sh$ty fish either why save that gender and age class but let the rest of us consume and die....  No thanks, I think I'll pass on the glowing fish and practice catch and release, but you can take your chances I guess
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Does anyone else think that a health advisory for women under 50 and children under 15 is concerning?  I mean I'm not a fan of eating Sh$ty fish either why save that gender and age class but let the rest of us consume and die....  No thanks, I think I'll pass on the glowing fish and practice catch and release, but you can take your chances I guess

33Canuck, my Dad was an immigrant that ate tons of fish (you name it, it swam, he caught it, it was legal, he ate it) for years out of bays and open water of Lake Ontario, Genesee River, Ponds in Greece, etc. when farmers and companies were dumping all sorts of nasty crap directly into our ground and waterways before and after the EPA was created and we knew some of that stuff was really bad.  My Dad lived cancer free and died at age 87.  It was finally his heart and lungs that finally got him.  Most of his buddies were in the same boat.  Usually what got many of his friends at early were complications from decades of smoking of unfiltered & filtered cigarettes.   

Women of that age are making babies - concentrated contaminants can pass to little ones both inside of the womb and outside via breast milk.  Kids of that age have various cells multiplying and growing fast so that mutagens and mercury can impact them significantly.  Remember, these are advisories. The entire state has an advisory on any fish of no more than 4 meals a month. The ones that are really  the ones to watch are the "DO NOT EAT!"  Those must be really, really bad.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:21 PM »

Its related to what the toxins or contaminants do to children. Did a paper on PCB's and the effects are birth defects in newborns and can cause cancer in adults. Not unlike dioxin, mercury and a host of others that mandate these "advisories" from the state. We all carry toxins in our bodies from exposure through food, water, and air but, elevated levels in women of child bearing years can pass those toxins on to the fetus and cause a host of serious birth defects and depending on the containment, continue to cause harmful effects in children as they mature like lower IQ's and other mental/physical damage.

In men and adult women, typically abnormal levels of a particular containment causes carcinomas in a number of varieties. Again, levels have to be elevated and the exposures can be from consumption in food, water and or air quality. Not everyone exposed gets cancer just like everyone that smokes. I've spoken to DEC officials and its a case of trying to find a balance between the public consumption, habits, and minimizing exposure to harmful chemicals and toxins and their effects.

One biologist told me he did a biopsy on a rather old snapping turtle from our local waters and he was surprised at how polluted its system was and still alive at the time. They can't very well tell the public to eat no fish anywhere, all the time but, occasionally for a particular body they will put up a "eat no fish" advisory on a particular species. Ultimately its a choice and I'm with you on, who wants to eat blinky the three eyed glowing fish but, who would.

Most times you can't see the effects of the chemical build up in a fish you consume until it is a "blinky". The words "advisory" and "warning" are there for a reason. Native tribes still depend on fishing and consumption as part of their traditional lifestyles so, they become a good example for finding a balance on advisories and consumption habits vs. effects and not always with good results  because they do depend on the resource more than you or me. The general public however, is a little bit tougher to manage and therefore the standards are what they are to reach an acceptable warning on contaminated waters and the fish there in................

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:05 AM »
Could someone please pm me some info about gill/crappie fishing either south end of hemlock or east side canadice? Where are the weeds? Thinking about going tonight after work starting in shallower for gills then moving deeper for smelt. Haven't ice fished either lake so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:30 AM »
If you guys are worried about the contaminents in the fish from our lakes, dont do any research on the food you buy from the supermarkets!  I got a survey from the NYS Health Dept last year and had blood and urine samples taken to check for contaminents.  My levels came back WAY below the limits of concern.  I eat a lot of perch, trout, salmon and some pike out of Lake Ontario and its bays.  Everything in moderation. 

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:49 AM »
Could someone please pm me some info about gill/crappie fishing either south end of hemlock or east side canadice? Where are the weeds? Thinking about going tonight after work starting in shallower for gills then moving deeper for smelt. Haven't ice fished either lake so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Canadice had a significant drawdown this year of several feet.  Many of the shallow weedbeds near the shoreline areas and coves, and south end are either exposed mudflats/rockflats and the weedbeds are mostly gone right now.  It may be difficult to find weedbeds as the shoreline areas drop off rather quickly.  However, if you can find weeds and/or structure such as submerged trees, you might find some success.    I haven't fished Hemlock so I can't give you any advice.  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/cdiclkmap.pdf

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:03 AM »
Thank you for the informative post. I'm wondering if south end hemlock might be the way to go.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:12 AM »
If you guys are worried about the contaminents in the fish from our lakes, dont do any research on the food you buy from the supermarkets!  I got a survey from the NYS Health Dept last year and had blood and urine samples taken to check for contaminents.  My levels came back WAY below the limits of concern.  I eat a lot of perch, trout, salmon and some pike out of Lake Ontario and its bays.  Everything in moderation.

But you are a very strange dude :wacko:
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:21 AM »
But you are a very strange dude :wacko:
Not saying much for yourself Kurt since you do fish with me!   :P

Offline davyday1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Are ppl getting a lot of lakers. And where can I get on from

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Anyone fishing Hemlock or Canadice today?  How much snow did the area get/how much on the ice?  How was the drag?  Thanks!

Offline ratherbfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's a Sloboraski
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:10 AM »
I have never fished Hemlock during the winter.  This thread has really got me hooked.  Work schedules with fishing buddies would make smelt a great night fishing trip.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Hit up canadice for first time last night to try my hand at lakers and smelt for the first time. 85 feet of water jigged for lakers and saw nothing on the flasher. Moved in close about 30 feet from the launch at dark and got into the smelt. Lots of fun and very tasty can't wait to go back

Offline H the yeti

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Hit up canadice for first time last night to try my hand at lakers and smelt for the first time. 85 feet of water jigged for lakers and saw nothing on the flasher. Moved in close about 30 feet from the launch at dark and got into the smelt. Lots of fun and very tasty can't wait to go back

Nice. Was about 50' from you and got skunked.
Yay4u

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:19 AM »
smelt in 30'? I wanna try it again. I saw a guy catching smelt successfully in 90' and I tried without success. I was not geared right to fish so lite in 90'....But 30' i can handle
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Thirty feet from the launch in 16 feet of water Is what I meant.

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:30 AM »
For those of you fishing at night... Are you parking roadside or in launch driveway ?

Either way, any issues / problems ?

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:39 AM »
For those of you fishing at night... Are you parking roadside or in launch driveway ?

Not for nothing but aren't boat launches usually for loading and unloading?Why would it be any different during ice season?Unless your old or handicapped is the extra 30'going to kill you?   

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:22 PM »

I park in road haven't had any problems

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Anyone been out there since the snow?  How bad is the drag?  I have passed by other bodies of water that had drifts and some bare ice.  Hoping Canadice is the same.

Offline H the yeti

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Lots of snow on the lid.
Yay4u

Offline wiggum1972

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just trying to keep them under me
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:11 PM »
was on there yesterday.lots of snow hard drag.my holes were still open from four days before.pack lite and be ready to take breaks.lakers are there

Offline zimm298

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Ok, gotta ask. What do you guys use to fish for smelt? I'd like to give it a shot. Also am I understanding that it's mostly done at night?

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:40 AM »
Red thread

Offline Splinter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:27 PM »
how deep are the lakers? Will verticle jigs work?

Offline Daves not here man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Hi all, wondering what the current ice/snow conditions are.  I'm hoping with the cold over the past week has helped to freeze the layer of slush.

Offline H the yeti

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Slush was frozen at ramp. Snow is about a foot deep.
Yay4u

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #59 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:56 PM »
stupid snow
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.