The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur, Butler Co.  (Read 22504 times)

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Arthur, Butler Co.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Thanks..

Last year I walked from McDaniels out to the front of the Island and there was  at least 18 inches of ice... I used a hand drill and made 5 holes... caught one dink perch.... A lot of work but I was amazed at that much ice.

Offline josh6012jak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:42 AM »
I'm new to fishing this lake an got a few days on it last season but would like to find a few new spots. I just got a lake map for it an have been circling a few spots but does anyone have a couple areas they would like to share. The muddy creek area is what I've been trying so far on the east side of the lake. Like to try Nealey's point or Trout cove but have not herd of any good reports.  I'm looking for the bass, pike an muskys that I know are in the lake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cant wait for the first FLAG of the year!! Thanks all!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:57 AM »
mouth of trout can be good have not had much luck getting anything of any size off of nealey's watch the spring on your right heading to trout.

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Any Ice Reports on Porters Cove?

Offline Creighton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Any info on the fisherman who went thru the ice last saturday - as to where he was fishing and what kind of ice conditions he chose to go out on?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:24 PM »
is that the one who went chest deep in shanon or was there another?

Offline Creighton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Sorry my bad - that was in 2013 -

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:56 AM »
Do you guys use braided line strait to the hook on your Tip ups when using Shiners? Or do you add a Mono Leader?

This is for just general fishing, not really targeting anything

I'll be tying rigs tonight so any suggestions would be great...

I bought some Small gold treble hooks I might use for paper mouths, think they will work or spook em?

2, 4, or 6 lb at Arthur for all around Fat head rigs?

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:28 AM »
I use braided line down to a swivel. Then I attach a 4 foot section of 4lb. test mono from the swivel to the hook. I usually use treble hooks through the bottom of the dorsal fin on the minnow. I usually fish for trout this way but have also caught some decent sized bass on this rig as well.

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Thanks Curtrein.

Anyone got preferences on Small vs. Medium vs. Large  Fatheads?

Offline woodstock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Braid to a swivel then 2' of 17lb  fluorocarbon to a single hook. Red octopus #6

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Thanks Curtrein.

Anyone got preferences on Small vs. Medium vs. Large  Fatheads?
50lb braid to 25lb florocarbon red size 6 treble hooks with chubs and shiners also size 8 treble hook with fatheads big fat ones lil ones die when impaling them through their back also put a gulp attractor on treble hook upto swimming mullet size :o hope you slam them
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Anyone ever do any good on the road bed that goes straight out from McDaniel's Launch? Was thinking about taking a buddy there Friday and try it but I have no idea if there is some depth/structure there or if its just a featureless flat... next weeks weather looks like it could hurt the ice so this might be my only trip for a while... I am hoping for some LMB  or Paper Mouths..

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:51 PM »
of course i fished every inch of lake arthur from the dam to the shallows of mc lol as for the road its pert near featureless other than the bridge/culvert on the far end :o  it dont go straight across ??? but turns a lil left its about 25 fow at its deepest jiggy guys hit it hard for pannies
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:52 AM »
That's what I'm talking about 1mo, you da man!

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Recapping the weekend.

Arrived at McDaniel's at noon, a little later than I wanted because a buddy I was with waited to get a fishing licenses that day and had an expired drivers licenses... I tried to set up on where I thought the old bridge would be.. ended up in about 22 ft of water. We had 10 rigs up all day.. didn't catch a thing. My dad came out later and posted up about 50 yards away caught a few pan fish and a large mouth. DCNR Park Rangers came out and dropped off a dead deer for the eagle to eat. Stayed till dark....

Saturday we tried what I call the Bayou.. ... I didn't catch anything but the old man caught a few pan fish and surprisingly 2 baby walleye... after 57 years they were his first Walleye through the ice....

Where I was fishing got real slushy, I think that because of the natural shade/sun in the area my spot made less ice and the shady spots around it had more ice and actually tilted the unfrozen water in toward me. Note to my self.. if your going out on new water and want to be extra safe... go to the shady inlets.

Offline sitnspin31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:10 AM »
Anyone doing any good. been out 3 times all day  and was very slow..  caught a few crappie and gills  and couple small bass on tip ups. We had four guys and 20 lines out just seems like its really slow this year..

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Anyone doing any good. been out 3 times all day  and was very slow..  caught a few crappie and gills  and couple small bass on tip ups. We had four guys and 20 lines out just seems like its really slow this year..
imofish

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:44 PM »
its been kinda slow see some coming in but been slow lots of drops.

Offline Fish4biggins360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:52 PM »
looking to try over by the church boat launch tomorrow in a little deeper water. Any reports over their? Really been striking out in the channel in MC.
If im not at the bar or work im probably out fishing...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:07 PM »
unless it changes I don't know if you will go anywere and slam them its been slooowwwwww.the ice seems good everywere we have been

Offline oldjimbo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:28 PM »
[][/img] Just trying learn how  to share pic of 19 inch bass at MC on Friday. Caught it on a swedish pimple. Released him to swim another day

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:38 AM »
oh I see the. green carp are on the prowl

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:26 AM »
 I am wondering if drilling holes and using a depth finder to see fish would work or if drilling the hole would just scare them away. 

Anyone ever fish the 30+ ft of water around the island?  Would bass hold on those vertical walls? 

Offline DanOnIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:36 AM »
I have drilled a hole, setup the tipup and before starting the next hole, I had a bass on the first. In 6' of water.  I think sometimes the noise attracts them.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:44 PM »
I am wondering if drilling holes and using a depth finder to see fish would work or if drilling the hole would just scare them away. 

Anyone ever fish the 30+ ft of water around the island?  Would bass hold on those vertical walls?
of course ive fished that deep hole in front of the island @) two hit and drops nothing else :'( me and mojr and the ateam fished it,also in years past we fished all the way to the rt 422 bridge nothing, deep water dead sea to us.athough shorlines can be good
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:01 PM »
What a lake to figure out... even with the maps and tools.

Anyone try to key in on old buildings that were their prior to filling the lake?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:10 PM »
They bulldozed everything prior to filling that's why there is almost no stumps or natural structure.punched about 60-70holes by island and creek Chanel not 1flag 10 fish all smaller than 5in ice about 8in everywhere we drilled .tomorrow is another day

Offline Fish4biggins360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Few fish up MC today. Church area was dead slow. Pike an a few bass up MC in 6fow off the channel. Not a bad day only 4 flags all day
If im not at the bar or work im probably out fishing...

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:10 PM »
What a lake to figure out... even with the maps and tools.

Anyone try to key in on old buildings that were their prior to filling the lake?
like the udder mo said the deep water barren but there are structures hidden like the railroad bed and old bridges small and not easy to pinpoint ??? the lake is getting to the tiping point on saturday there were 100 guys on the bay i was at  :o >:( the local dutchies ie the carhart gang was loading shop and save bags full of bass and going to their cars with them  :callcops: so i wish the jaw flappers would let up on the amish as they all are trying to feed their families :) there are few areas on the lake not hit hard but they are there i was exploring with fishhunter 80 up big run there was a few spots very promising but no fish go figure
GOD BLESS
mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.