The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur, Butler Co.  (Read 22508 times)

Offline Fish4biggins360

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Arthur, Butler Co.
« on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:45 PM »
I'm new to fishing this lake an got a few days on it last season but would like to find a few new spots. I just got a lake map for it an have been circling a few spots but does anyone have a couple areas they would like to share. The muddy creek area is what I've been trying so far on the east side of the lake. Like to try Nealey's point or Trout cove but have not herd of any good reports.  I'm looking for the bass, pike an muskys that I know are in the lake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cant wait for the first FLAG of the year!! Thanks all!
If im not at the bar or work im probably out fishing...

Offline woodstock

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Arthur, Butler Co.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Any cove with weeds will be good for bass. Muddy Creek is usually the hottest spot so it receives the most pressure. Trout cove has produced bass and pike for me in the past. Nealey point straight out gets over 20' only about 5' from shore so I would call that more walleye territory. Maybe to the right or left were it gets shallower might work. Find the weeds then try and find the opening in the weed beds. That's how I have my best luck. Drop your minnow (shiner) 1' off the bottom for bass. Pike seem to like the bait higher but I've caught them low also as well as bass higher. Don't be afraid to move around and try something different. Good luck and be safe.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:57 AM »
I would like to add staying were the people are or fishing with someone who knows the lake before going exploring LA has springs in it you need to watch like going to trout.stay safe.good luck

Offline woodstock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Very good advice mo. It's always safest going out with a friend. More advice is to watch the videos about going through the ice. Just having picks, rope, life vest, ect.... with you is good but being mentally prepared was probably the best thing I got out of those videos.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Like 1moslabs said, stay safe, keep in areas in/around other people until you learn the area/pitfalls, if possible fish with a friend.  There are plenty of areas that create thin ice, current weeds, springs, ect… If this snow holds on top it will be difficult to tell what’s what.  Like Woodstock said always, always, always have pick, rope, and a flotation device with you regardless of how this the ice is.   

If you’re not hooking fish change what you’re doing and/or move.   

If you’re running tip-ups for game fish a nono leaders work well.  Change up bait size throughout the year.  Suspending your bait higher up in the water column can be beneficial at times so can using dead bait.  Location is key.  The fish move and so must you.

Get a grill haul it out there in a crowded area cook a pile of food and hand it out.  You’ll get more advice and gain more friends than you’ll know what to do with. 

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:09 PM »
And let me know when and where you will be with yer grill... ::)
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:43 PM »
got 2 in on mc 1"clear and about 1" second layer witch is pretty hard. snow is blowing of good

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:51 PM »
Cool! Thanks for the updates guys! Hope to be walking on water within the next 2 weeks! Can't wait!!

Offline Fish4biggins360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:58 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.
If im not at the bar or work im probably out fishing...

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:15 AM »
It will not be long now, I had -2 at my house this morning just a few miles away from the lake.  This wind is great, is should keep the snow off of it. 

My vex is charged, new batteries in my gps, a fresh propane tank on my auger, rods are rigged, and new mantles on my lantern.  By the way do not put new mantles on the lantern then fire it up in the basement it will stink the entire house up, set the fire alarms off, get the dog all wound up, and make an unhappy wife....     

It will not be long now, be safe.

Snapper

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:42 AM »
Snapper, that is funny !!!!!!

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Too funny, thanks for the laugh Snapper!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:29 PM »
had 2" solid with almost 1" soft on top up mc little better out by 528 launch at almost 3" solid

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Hi All,

First Post on ice Shanty although I have been reading messages for the last 2 years..

Can't wait to hit the Hard Water, from what I can see here Lake Arthur wont be safe this weekend but maybe next...

Anyone Agree?

My Green Ant out fished all other ants 10 to 1 last year.... can't wait to see that bobber go down..

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Just depends on what your looking for under your feet.  There will be more than a few guys out.  I'd bet there will be more than a few guys out that think there will be more ice than there is.  I'd imagine I'll be out some place.       

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I posted this up on the conditions page too, if this is a repeat for you sorry.

Things to think about:

1. The entire lake was open water on Monday and it is now Friday.
2. There's 4 inches in SOME shallow water areas and it drops of to as little as 2 inches in the SAME shallow water bays further out.
3. There are people fishing.
4. Fish with a friend, have ice picks, rope, and a flotation device handy if not for you then for the next guy.
5. If you see a fat guy that looks like me flopping around on the ice lend a brother from another mother a hand.

Be safe, & have fun,

Snapper

Offline bowman732000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Good post snapper,things to think about.let's be safe out there people,Good luck to everyone this season.

Offline Swadey1214

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Bear run is good also

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:00 PM »
fished MC today iced ranged from 2" to 4" .maples was  about 3 than 2 20ft out didn't bother going farther.wind was a b***h.some crappy bass perch and gills.gills were averaging better size than normal for LA hopefully a sign of good things to come.probably not. :)

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Nothing but good things to come brother, just a few more days that's all.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:02 AM »
there is no fishing trip or catch worth the ice swim. I did it few years ago and never want to again. make it a safe and fun trip and stay dry. safety

Offline dan print

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2015, 04:42 PM »
i was there when you went in at edinboro that was a scary ordeal - i was the guy fishing alone when you guys went thru i'll always remember that noise when the ice gave way , i'm sure you will to and you never want a repeat performence- stay safe guys

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:07 PM »
I posted this up on the conditions page too, if this is a repeat for you sorry.

Things to think about:

5. If you see a fat guy that looks like me flopping around on the ice lend a brother from another mother a hand.

Be safe, & have fun,

Snapper

I will, if you will.  ;D

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:40 PM »
i was there when you went in at edinboro that was a scary ordeal - i was the guy fishing alone when you guys went thru i'll always remember that noise when the ice gave way , i'm sure you will to and you never want a repeat performence- stay safe guys
I also was there it was so dark didn't see you go in the hollering sounded like someone hootin about the bull gill bite :o
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I learned a lot  from that day and how to respect not so good ice. I will be there for the ice bothering. Sad thing is I am a certified ice and water rescue

Offline Slabslayer17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Fished today from 8-6 never had a flag with 5 of us. Had ice 2" to 7".

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:57 AM »
fished the maples yesterday not 1 flag.but we had non stop action jigging.some nice slabs ton of gill ,probably almost 50 crappie that were about 8" will make nice keepers in a year or 2 ,2ft cat that's always fun on 2lb.ice was a clear 4".hit a black fiscal forage minnow and pimple didn't seem to matter.people up shanon in front of church,and a guy set up in a shelter right by the bridge ??? :o

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:48 AM »
fished sunday from 11 till 4:30 probably close to a hundred gills and just a few crappies. solid 4 inches of solid ice on  muddy creek dead end. other lakes I checked were not so good ice. went from five to 3 inch in twenty feet. and was creekin too much.

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Anyone know about ice out at McDaniel's Launch?

I'm thinking about going Friday at about noon and getting a few buddy's to join in a friendly Fishing Competition

What do you guys think about this?

Attempt to be at the lake by 1:30
30 minute window to drill holes and get ready
Period 1 is from 2-3
Period 2 from 3:15-4:15
Period 3 from 4:30-5:30

4:30 to 5:30 fish are worth double

Large Mouth Bass and Crappy are winning species
Each eligible fish counts
Large Mouth have to be 15 inches to qualify
No minimum on Crappy

Total Inches Wins

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Ice is still a little sketchy in most areas, I was around McDaniels for a few hours yesterday and most I found was 3" of clear and another inch or so of slushy stuff.  The increased snow fall really put a damper on the ice. 
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.