The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Portable sonar use for ice- Vexilar sonarphone and hummingbird fishinbuddy  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Since I can't find many reports about these devices used while ice fishing, I figured I might as well share my thoughts. I don't have a boat myself but I do a lot of shore fishing and my friend has a boat.
I got the sonarphone last spring to help locate trout while out on my friends boat and to find structure from shore. it has worked very well for me so far.
Today I tested out the sonarphone out on the ice. I drilled a second hole next to my jigging hole. After playing with the settings, I was able to see my jigging spoon go all the way down to the bottom (10 feet where I was fishing) and was able to mark fish Comming up to my presentation. The "magic bobber", as I call it, comes with a waterproof phone holder that straps to your wrist that allows you to use the touch screen while protecting your phone, I'm going to have to try and stuff a heat pack under it next time to keep the phone warm and extend battery life.
 I only had two hours before it got too dark, but I landed a small perch and a large sunfish, and lost several others as I miss the hook set and was able to watch the fish mark dart back to the bottom lol. Just need more practice, I only just started ice fishing last year.
Theoretically with my 7" auger, I can use this devise until the ice is about 14" thick (30 degree transducer, should have cone that covers roughly an area that is 1/2 that of the depth) as long as I keep it centers in the hole.
Later this week I'm going to also test my new fishinbuddy 120 which has a 24" transducer shaft, I have a bucket lid with a hole in it to rest it in the ice hole. It has a side scan feature that I'm really hoping works to mark fish schools around the hole for more drilling locations.

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would be interested to know how the fishing buddy works. I was looking at one the other night at beans

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't worry, review is to follow.  I'll be trying on a local stocked pond, but it pretty shallow so I'll prob just be testing the side scan anyway. I'll bring it to the bigger pond (same location as today) by my friends house next weekend for a full testing.

Offline Owlett

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking forward to your review!  Second year ice fishing for me and I loved it so much last year I can't wait to get a sonar to use out there.  Not sure what the difference between a "flasher" and a fish finder though.  Looks like one only shows depths.  Call me girly but I kinda wanted something with little pictures of fish on it.  :P

Have you seen this thing? https://buydeeper.com/index.php?_route_=fishing-type-ice-fishing

It has an ice fishing mode and dual sonar, 15 degrees for ice fishing.  No idea if you can tie it to a stick and force it under the ice to use the wider sonar though. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had not seen that yet, but I like the two beams to choose from. With as narrow as 15 degree is, you can just let it float in the hole like I did, just wouldn't be effected by the ice thickness as much as the sonarphone with a set 30 degree beam.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
I used my Sonar phone last year and the ice was over 2' and had no issues w/ reduced coverage. Worked great. You can even throw it in your hole w/ a trap in it. Don't forget to use your keel adjustment...
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
so this unit does work the ice?  I have been interested in it for a while, but because of the cone angle i was hesitant.  Maybe i will take the plunge and see how it works.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I didnt adjust keel at all, not sure what that was to be honest.
I've only used it that once so far,  had to play with the settings to be able to see my jig. at first I was using a small tungsten jig head, and I couldn't see it excpet for the occasional blip. I switched to a rattle spoon and it was a solid mark, was able to see just about instantly on the graph every time I moved it up and down. going to get more practice with it.  I'll take screen shots next time too.
I did have an issue where I couldn't see the first foot or two under the surface, looked like a solid bottom but on top of the screen. It gets better if I turned the surface clarity setting to high, but at the time I was still using the small jig and couldn't see it at all so I turned it back to medium or low. I'll have to continue experimenting.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Ya it's in your settings: keel offset. I set mine at 2'.

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Neat I have been wondering when sonars would make the leap to smartphones. Its a logical jump.  Here is some notes for newbies looking at sonars and wondering how they work through the ice: Pretty much all you need to do is toss the transducer in the hole, and get it pointing more or less straight down.

If the ice is too thick or the sonar cone is too wide of an angle you will likely get some interference. This in my experience is not a big deal. It manifests itself as a band of interference near the top of the screen. The more ice in the way, the deeper the interference band extends (usually less than 5', 10' at worst). It does reduce the ability to see fish of to the side. Despite the interference, I've always been able to see straight down just fine, as long as the transducer is pointed down at open water.

If you really insist that you want to avoid the ice, just attach the transducer to a vertical stick and a crossbar. Keep the rig simple and packable- no need for 4' of stick.

With good clean ice, and s few drops of water, some transducers shoot through the ice from the surface very well! My current model does not, but my previous one I would fish without sticking it down the hole at all.

For the record I use a humminbird 385 with the transducer held underwater only 2".
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Had 2 Fishinbuddies ---used them for finding depth. About all they are good for. Last one broke after a couple of years and would
have cost almost as much to get it fixed as buy a new one so went with a hand held.

Offline polarbear86

• Team IceShanty Regular
A buddy of mine had one that hooked to his phone had to return it three times
A bad day fishing is better than any day working

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well I tried the sonar phone in some deeper water today at little osspiee, but I could barely see my spoon past 20 feet down.  I tried for three hours today on that lake, from 7-30 FOW, but I didn't get a single nibble, nor did I mark any fish, so nothing really to report.
I then hit sokosis lake where I had plenty of action.  I do really like how fast it was to get the water depth as I used it to set my tipups. unfortunately my phone died before I could really get to use the sonar for jigging, so sorry, no screenshots like I originally promised. However, I was able to get this pic before my phone died. Got him on a tipup.

Oh, since I ended up going out alone today, the fishin buddy sonar didn't leave the car as I didnt want to carry any more than I needed to

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice bass. I usually use my sounding weight when setting traps shallow, but for fishing deep, having some kind of fishfinder is so convenient. You can just bait the hook and watch it drop right to the depth you want, without needing to pull it back up to get the weight off.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
I am curious about the hummingbird fishing buddy too. Small simple and can use year round. Waiting for your review!!!!
Lord, may I catch a fish so big, when telling of it afterwards I need not lie...

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sorry but it's going to be a little bit before I get to go out and give it a good try. But it will be within the next month.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Well I tried the sonar phone in some deeper water today at little osspiee, but I could barely see my spoon past 20 feet down.  I tried for three hours today on that lake, from 7-30 FOW, but I didn't get a single nibble, nor did I mark any fish, so nothing really to report.
I then hit sokosis lake where I had plenty of action.  I do really like how fast it was to get the water depth as I used it to set my tipups. unfortunately my phone died before I could really get to use the sonar for jigging, so sorry, no screenshots like I originally promised. However, I was able to get this pic before my phone died. Got him on a tipup.

Oh, since I ended up going out alone today, the fishin buddy sonar didn't leave the car as I didnt want to carry any more than I needed to
Get a portable charger. This one will recharge my phone 2x. Pretty compact and light. You can also charge the T Pod with it. I'm using Lil T Pod smelting tomorrow. I will let you know the results.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll be bringing my tpod out for smelt on Monday night lol

Offline MIZAR

• IceShanty Rookie
I just recently purchsed the Deeper Fishfinder.  I was skeptical at first, but took it out yesterday and was pleasently surprised.  Has reglular and ice fishing mode.  Paired with my phone with no issue.  Read depth and my bait.  It didnt spot any fish, but i also didnt get any flags.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My Vexliar ,and my Hummingbird have such a strong battery life several trips before charging again. Why would one chance on running down his cell phone???????????????

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have spoken with marcum and vex reps about these devices. I am sorry to report that neither company is excited to role out a more ice fishing friendly device any time soon. The main reason is that they cannot charge $$$ for these practical devices that do the same thing as the sonars today.  I run and gun for specs and gills a lot. I think a Bluetooth linked sonar to my phone would be genius! And I think it would not hurt my pocket book as much as the big ticket units on the market today. I would look for a company other than vex or marcum to come out with a Bluetooth linked sonar for ice fishermen.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
I have spoken with marcum and vex reps about these devices. I am sorry to report that neither company is excited to role out a more ice fishing friendly device any time soon. The main reason is that they cannot charge $$$ for these practical devices that do the same thing as the sonars today.  I run and gun for specs and gills a lot. I think a Bluetooth linked sonar to my phone would be genius! And I think it would not hurt my pocket book as much as the big ticket units on the market today. I would look for a company other than vex or marcum to come out with a Bluetooth linked sonar for ice fishermen.
What's the advantage of Bluetooth over wi fi? The T Pod vex is wi fi and works great ice fishing. I have the basic Marcum depth finder which also marks fish w/ a depth reading and I don't use it now that I have the vex

Offline MIZAR

• IceShanty Rookie
Realitycheck,  check outdeeper fishfinder.  Duel mode bluetooth for phones or tablets.  No issues with mine.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
In warmer months battery isn't a problem for me, and the vexilar tpod does say it's not designed for ice fishing but it works! But that's also one of the reasons I picked up the fishin buddy, just haven't tested it yet.

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
What's the advantage of Bluetooth over wi fi? The T Pod vex is wi fi and works great ice fishing. I have the basic Marcum depth finder which also marks fish w/ a depth reading and I don't use it now that I have the vex
Bluetooth tends to be less battery hungry than wifi.
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Bluetooth tends to be less battery hungry than wifi.
That makes sense. Just for anyone's information I usually get 6 hours of straight use on the vex pod. I ran it the whole tide at Worthings. My phone has great battery life and will outlast the vex. I carry a charger that will recharge both 1x. I don't jig normally so I check depths etc and only leave it in a hole for a few minutes and no issue draining battery. If you leave it in a hole for an extended time on a very cold day battery life is affected.

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
I've been using the vexilar t-pod sp300 all year with good luck through the ice.  I've only used it down to 50ft but I'm hoping to fish some deeper lakes soon now that the ice is thicker. I find it extremely sensitive on 100% gain  for example I'll drop a spike into the hole and watch it drop all the way to the bottom.   It attaches perfectly onto my old heritage tipup without even the need for a screw because it fits so snug and perfect.  I stick the leg of a tipup down in the hole to get the transducer under the ice.  Haven't had an issue with battery life.  Fished 6 hours in 0° conditions without battery level so much as changing from full.   I haven't managed to kill the battery yet but I do charge it before I go out everytime.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I figured the "boat" version with the underwater transducer would work a bit better and has a stronger signal with the dual cone option. The tpod has a fixed cone and floats on the surface. I've been marking bottom no problem, but inconsitant with showing my jig/lure at depths, or I had the settings wrong like noise filter or surface clarity. Still playing with it but haven't used it much since Ive mostly been hitting a small pond for stocked trout.
Although there are sunfish in there, I might give it a try there next time if the trout bite is slow.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
T Pod says "can't wait for Moosehead, been dying for some hole lately. Rip it up hard!" ...

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was just thinking, with the SP300 with the right rigging and carry case, you could carry around the unit and iPad/phone just like a traditional flasher, maybe add some hand warms in the case to extend battery life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.