The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Anyone using new 4amp lithium makita drill on clam plate?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just picked up a new clam plate to add to my ice fishing arsenal and was wondering if anyone is running the new makita on it. Trying to decide which one is better between the makita or the Milwaukee fuel 18.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone using new 4amp lithium makita drill on clam plate?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:04 PM »
There's a couple of guys using it and so far so good.  Look at the last several pages of this thread.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=273421.0

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Just picked up a new clam plate to add to my ice fishing arsenal and was wondering if anyone is running the new makita on it. Trying to decide which one is better between the makita or the Milwaukee fuel 18.
I own both. If I had to choose one for ice fishing, it would be the Makita. I use a ton of Milwaukee tools on the job and they are great. Both drills easily turn my 8" Nils. Good luck! BTW, Don't be afraid to buy refurbished M18 either. Just as good with $100 savings. ;)

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Between the two, which one has the longer run time per battery with both using a 4 amp battery?

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:36 AM »
I don't have it on a clam plate but I have the Makita on a 8" nils and it cuts like a hot knife... I have yet to kill 1 battery in a day. I tried to keep track and I was over 400" of ice cut before the one battery would not cut anymore (but I think the cold had some play in that my drill sat out for a couple hours in sub zero conditions)

The best Milwaukee has 750 inlbs of torque vs Makita's 1090 inlbs...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Between the two, which one has the longer run time per battery with both using a 4 amp battery?
I would say the Makita. Nothing scientific though. I have not done an actual test. Both drills are about identical as far as drilling holes, but the Makita seems to be a bit more up to the task. The Milwaukee seems to have to work a bit harder to do the job, but is well within its ability to do it. One advantage that the Milwaukee has is that you can buy a car charger for their batteries. Another advantage that I see is the L.E.D. Lanterns they came out with are my new go to for lighting up my tent. Yet another advantage is the ability to run your fish finder on the Milwaukee batteries in a pinch. They sell an adaptor for there heated jacket that puts out very near 12 volts. To make a plug for it, one only needs a type "m" male power connector and a couple of male spade connectors. The heated jacket is pretty sweet too. Obviously, to me the Milwaukee is more versatile in many ways and if I could only have one brand, Milwaukee wins. However, when I saw the new Makita torque specs, I couldn't not try it out. So far I am very happy with both drills. The Makita lives on the ice auger for now though. Good luck!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:03 AM »
I don't have it on a clam plate but I have the Makita on a 8" nils and it cuts like a hot knife... I have yet to kill 1 battery in a day. I tried to keep track and I was over 400" of ice cut before the one battery would not cut anymore (but I think the cold had some play in that my drill sat out for a couple hours in sub zero conditions)

The best Milwaukee has 750 inlbs of torque vs Makita's 1090 inlbs...
I also don't use the clam plate as I find it VERY unnecessary. Maybe nice on a 10" hole, but an 8" is cake without it. Yes, I am thinking of a 10" with the Makita using an old Jiffy transmission that has handles built right in.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Are the chucks on the makita any harder to remove than the Milwaukee?  I read of some complaints on the removal on the Milwaukee but more so on the ridgids. Same procedure I take it in the chuck removal?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Pulled the trigger on a new Milwaukee model# 2603-22. Got a killer deal at the local hardware store for $182 out the door. This model doesnt have the hammer drill mode on it, will this be a problem? Haven't opened it up yet, figured I ask  incase I need to return it...??

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Take a look at homedepot they have pretty good deals on their combo kits right now. $50-150 off.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Pulled the trigger on a new Milwaukee model# 2603-22. Got a killer deal at the local hardware store for $182 out the door. This model doesnt have the hammer drill mode on it, will this be a problem? Haven't opened it up yet, figured I ask  incase I need to return it...??

I think you'll be OK.  You don't use the hammer mode for drilling ice, but some think the transmission is beefier.  Same torque, both models, and you got the 4.0 batteries (right?).

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Yes, 4.0 batteries.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Yes, 4.0 batteries.
Great deal! Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Great deal! Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

The deal gets better! Got an extra 4.0 battery so a total of (3) 4.0 batteries for that price :o

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:33 PM »
The deal gets better! Got an extra 4.0 battery so a total of (3) 4.0 batteries for that price :o
Now go check out the lantern that I mentioned earlier. You will love it if you fish at night. Congrats!

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2015, 04:29 PM »
used it today with a 6 inch lazer and thing cuts super fast! i was averaging 5 seconds a hole in 10-12 inches of ice. battery was already a little used at home before i took the chuck off and i got 30 holes before it started dying a bit. next time going to go out with a full charge and see what i get. but overall im extremely impressed with it. my dad was also impressed and after one day is already talking about selling his gas auger to get a clam plate makita set up

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2015, 04:34 PM »
          I think k that model has 525lbs/in ,is it brush less?  If so good to go!!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:28 PM »
The Milwaukee 2603-22 is Brushless drill/driver with 725 in lb of torque

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:33 PM »
If u paid $182. For that with charger and 2 4ah batteries you stole it!!!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:15 PM »
If u paid $182. For that with charger and 2 4ah batteries you stole it!!!

That kit comes with 2 batteries but for some reason they threw in an extra battery with it so I got 3 batteries...score!

Offline chasinfins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Have both drills and either one works great. The Makita has a lot more torque and I use it most of the time with the side handle attached. No clamplate.
Life is hard ... even harder if you're stupid ...

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:46 AM »
i took advantage of the home depot milwaukee deal and got the fuel set with hammer drill and 1/4 impact, and got the 1/2 inch fuel high torque impact with 1100 foot pound nut busting torque and 700 tightening torque.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:35 AM »
That kit comes with 2 batteries but for some reason they threw in an extra battery with it so I got 3 batteries...score!
.          Batteries are the cheapest I found $60 each!!

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2015, 01:51 AM »
.          Batteries are the cheapest I found $60 each!!

batteries are expensive for the milwaukee.  4amp and 5 amp are same price, so obviously will buy all 5 amp when i get extras.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.