Author Topic: Deep Creek Lake Kids Fun Fishing Day  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
Deep Creek Lake Kids Fun Fishing Day
« on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Dear Friends,

Deep Creek Lake Hard Water Anglers is pleased to announce the Third Annual Kids Fun Fishing Day,  Saturday, January 24 2015. Registration will begin at 9am in the Arrowhead Market Parking Lot located at 19746 Garrett Highway, Oakland, MD. Parking for the event will be in the main parking lot across the road. This event is free and open to the public. An adult needs to be on the ice with their kids. This is not a drop off event.

The first 30 kids to register will receive to take home their choice of a fully rigged ice spinning rod & reel combo, or a fully rigged palm rod compliments of Your Bobbers Down. Each kid will also receive a mini tackle box filled with ice jigs & tackle. There will be hand warmers for all participants. We will have 6 fully rigged HT tipups as door prizes. Bait will be provided and no equipment is necessary.There will be a hot lunch served. We will be coming up on the 21st to pre fish Arrowhead and make certain that ice conditions are safe.

We will be fishing Arrowhead Cove, one of Deep Creek Premier ice fishing hot spots. Targeted species will be Bluegills, Yellow Perch, Walleyes, Northern Pike, and Crappies. There will be hands on workshops covering the following:
1. Basic fishing techniques (tackle, jigs, bobbers, knots, bait, etc);
2, Basic electronics (flashers, underwater cameras);
3. Basic jigging;
4. Introduction to Palm Rods (The emerging trend for big bluegills & perch);
5. Tipups;
6. Ice safety;
7. Ice fishing strategy.

Take advantage of this unique opportunity to introduce children to the exciting sport of ice fishing. To preregister or volunteer to teach a workshop, contact John Steinbach at [email protected] or call 703-822-3485.

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Deep Creek Lake Kids Fun Fishing Day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:57 AM »
DCL will be frozen safe by January 24th. I was out on one of the frozen coves last Saturday on 4 to 5" of black ice.

We have about 8 kids signed up so far. Any one who has or knows kids, this will be a great experience for them. Arrowhead Cove is very productive. Kids over 16 are welcome to help volunteer.

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:54 PM »
Although I was not able to attend last year's kids fun fishing day, I did attend the first one in 2012 and me and my grandson had a wonderful time and learned a lot.  In addition to being a fun time, it's a great learning experience for the young ice fishermen and the instructors are experts I all facets of ice fishing.  I'll be there if I can----HIGHLY RECOMMEND.----spur
I never lost a little fish----spurcollector

Offline wvengineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun.

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:52 PM »
What is the age limits or age groups for the kids?

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Ages 5 to 16. Older kids can volunteer. Younger kids can share their older sibling's outfits. We only have 15 or so outfits left- first come first served. If we do fill up, there will still be plenty to see and do.

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:08 PM »
Do they have a phone number or website to pre-register?

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:36 PM »
Contact info at the top of the thread

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:23 AM »
Here-Here! I know there are no guarantees when it comes to fishing but you can bet your bottom dollar that if you bring a kid here to this event then he or she will have a total whale of a time as will you.  Not to be missed!

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:47 AM »
We're still looking for volunteers to demonstrate fishing techniques/equipment. Just show up at Arrowhead Market in Deep Creek, Md by 9am.

John Steinbach
703-822-3485

Offline jeepdude64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Great event helped last year and plan on being there this year.  See you up there.  Anyone know Nicklow's hours on saturday ?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Open at 7

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Hello. I have my two kids registered. 1 my daughter is 13 and has never been on the ice. My son is 15 and has been doing quite well ice fishing. I saw on another site that some help could be used.
It is almost a definite that we will be showing up on Saturday. I have a large 3 man eskimo pop up hut and a mr. buddy heater. Will gladly let it be used for any children that need warmed up. Also I'm really not great with giving class type instruction. however I am great with children and am good at hands-on help and fishing skills that can be passed on. Anything I can do to help. I am able and willing. Also my son is able and I'm sure more than willing to help with the younger kids.

Offline wvengineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone that helped with the event.  My kids had a blast and have already asked if we can go next year.  What a great group of people!  Thanks again!

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:49 PM »
I appoligize for having my kids registered and not showing up. I really wanted to help.
My wife is really sick with cancer. Some days good, some days bad. That morning just happened to be a bad day. Maybe next year.

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:57 PM »

The 3rd annual DCL Kids Fun Fishing Day was a success beyond our wildest expectations. Despite the ominous forcast and waking up to freezing drizzle Saturday morning, more than 50 kids participated in the program. Thanks to various sponsors like HT, Marine General and others, we distributed approximately 40 ice fishing outfits and other fishing tackle. A special thanks goes out to Your Bobbers Down and Oly Olsen for donating 15 palm rods and many tungsten jigs and micro plastics. Another very special thanks goes out to Randy Brooks for providing storage space and logistical support. The other dozen or so volunteer Ice Dawgs who worked so hard to provide the kids with a memorable experience knpw who you are.

The work was difficult and physically exhausting but worth every sore muscle.

Those of us with the energy gathered at Little Sandies (Many thanks for opening early for us- the best breakfast ever!) for a friendly fishing contest. We collected $180 towards next years kids fishing day and headed out to the State Park. The winner of the biggest bluegill was Oly Olsen with an 11 inch monster. Frank Broskey won the biggest perch contest with a respectable 14 inch jumbo. Next year we're hoping that more of you Ice Dawgs will sign up to challenge us DCL Dragon Slayers.

Again, thanks all! Stay tuned for next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.