Author Topic: Peoria/Fulton/Knox Counties Ice Thickness  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
Peoria/Fulton/Knox Counties Ice Thickness
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I fish farm ponds in knox county, so I thought I start a thread about the ice thickness in the peoria/knox/fulton counties areas. My posts will mainly be able knox county farm ponds. If anybody has been out already and knows the ice thickness and conditions, please post them here. I'll try and post mine after each fishing trip, hopefully sometime this week. Finally, it's hardwater walking time!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline rocklake

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Peoria/Fulton/Knox Counties Ice Thickness
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I had just under 4 on friday afternoon when i went N peoria co. No open water from the rain. Should be good to go again in a couple days

Offline Hsiftac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2015, 01:42 PM »
No open spots on neighborhood lake in peoria area, will check Thickness maybe tomorrow, can't wait to get out

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Three inches outside of Bartonville on a small pond.  Could be game on soon ;D.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:00 AM »
thanks for the reports guys! Keep it up! I live 30 minutes from the lakes I fish now and have spent the past 3 years battling thyroid and lung cancer, so it's been pain in the butt the past few years driving all the way to the lakes, get out all my gear and lug it to the lake just to find there's no ice! I hope you guys get a lot of hardwater time. I'll let u know when I finally get out. Hopefully, this weekend!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Hsiftac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Yep 3 inches of solid ice this morning on a local lake, I bet there's at least 5 by late week

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Hopefully we don't get to much snow and it stays windy.  Gonna try and fish Thursday after work. Hope it stay cold and allows some of the bigger stuff like banner to freeze

Offline Hsiftac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:16 AM »
4 under all the snow outside peoria this morning, 1 more inch and I'll be out

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Had 5 inches yesterday.  I wish I didn't have to work t would make fishing so much easier

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:01 AM »
thanks guys. hope to finally get out over the weekend. threw my  back out shoveling snow, plus with lung cancer and a vocal cord implant in my throat, breathing in this polar vortex for me in damn near impossible! I'll report back later.

Offline Hsiftac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Had a few hours this afternoon, visited two lakes. First one had a thin layer of ice then a layer of water then about four inches of ice so I got off there pretty quick. Second pond had a little over 5" everywhere I drilled, marked lots of fish and had a few small bites but no takers. Couldn't find any decent wax worms so I was using crappie nibbles and little chunks of frozen minnows. Anyone Been out to banner yet?

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:07 PM »
Went out by canton Saturday to some strip mines and they had 5 to 6 inches even on some bigger lakes.  I was a bit shocked and a bit shocked that the fishing was so slow. Between 5 guys 6 sonars 1 camera and too many rods we maybe caught 15 between 5 different lakes. Went to a small pond in mapleton Sunday that still had snow on it and only had 4 inches and it usually has thicker ice then most lakes.  That snow sure slowed ice growth it had 3 inches a week ago and only made 1 inch or so all week with snow on it.  Fishing was better but not amazing.  I'd be very careful on banner it has hundreds of springs. A buddy checked shovel midweek and it had less then 2 at the boat ramp. Hoping to get on it this year caught some big cats last winter. Ole cat flat

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:10 PM »
Presley's had wax worms yesterday

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:06 AM »
first trip of the season yesterday to a small farm pond in northern fulton and there was almost 6 inches of hard ice under a couple inches of snow

Offline Hsiftac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:58 AM »
If you need company going after cats at banner fishbowl let me know.  Wolf hollow archery in Rome always has the best wax worms, just haven't made it out yet

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Presley's guarantees theirs to catch fish or they'll die trying ;D

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2015, 02:32 PM »
looks like with the warm up I won't be fishing the hardwater this season. Anyway, thanks guys for posting the info and keep it up, maybe i'll get out but i doubt it.

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Fished a pond yesterday outside of Hanna city and it had 9 inches of ice. Fishing was good took the wife and kid for the first time so it wasn't the most serious crew either. Caught some nice gills and bass plus my son broke off a 4 pounder at the hole. Couldn't catch a crappie even though we seen a few on the camera. I think it was wrong time of day for them because its full of crappie and putting 30 on the ice is normal. But o well still fun to be on ice. Hope this week doesn't mess it up to bad >:(

Offline Crappie Day11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Anyone been out lately since warm up..

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2015, 10:16 PM »
The lakes seem to be fine. Maybe some bank issues but after tonight I'd say its a go almost anywhere.  I heard lake camelots having their tourney this weekend. Just use caution and you should be just fine but every lake is different just watch for spring holes. Seen a couple last weekend wide open on 6 inches of ice just big enough to fall threw.  But it's looking good for February so far

Offline Crappie Day11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Thanks Fishbowl 69, i think im going to head toward Fulton County Rec Area or Banner friday morn..

Offline rocklake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:26 PM »
N Peoria Co.  Two lakes side by side one 6-7 other 7-9. It varies but good. Made vary little last night. Dame snow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.