Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2015  (Read 69792 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Newfound Circus Season 2015
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:28 PM »

Happy New Years to all. I hope it is a productive and safe season for you all.

Well, I'm finally done with Brown and Brookie fishing during early ice. Laker Taker and I did our yearly marathon and had the last 16 days off. We hit all our usual ponds and looking back did quite well. Up very early every day hauling out all our gear in whatever conditions good ole mother nature was willing to throw at us then tearing it all down at night to dry our gear off in order to do it again the next morning, long days, very little sleep....however got some great video footage of our days in the process. Looking forward to putting those together.
I am waaay ready to switch over to Lake Trout fishing in the comforts of my bob house and join up with the rest of the Newfound Circus folks.

Speaking of Bob house, I put ours out on Cummings beach today and were able to get a couple of tip ups in some fair water. Right now there is only 1 punch with a chisel of ice but pure black ice. Cant get too close to the holes to put in or take out a tip up but manageable if you stretch.

We also have a few new houses that will be gracing the lake this season. Cant wait to see them.

This season should bring in some of our usual shenanigans, exciting and fun times. We are hoping to capture as much of the good times as possible on video. We have several GoPro's that we will be passing out to help with capturing some great videos and In addition, we have a drone that will (on good days) be flying around capturing some of our season as well. 

Our Super Bowl, the Alexandria Fire Dept. Newfound Fishing Derby head quarters will be located at Wellington State park this year! Central to the lake and easy access. This will be a great change and improvement to the derby. Tickets are on sale now.

Please feel free to post up on this thread as the season progresses when you fish on Newfound, it's always nice to go back and read through them at the end or start of the next season on one thread. A ton of stuff gets forgotten. Pictures and videos are cool too! Anything from Newfound is welcome.

And last but not least, do not hesitate to holler out on your radios (channel 5.5), we'd love to hear from you.

Cheers to all and Go Go Get Em!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2015
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Kicking off the Thread....

House on at Cummings Beach. Just waiting to launch.

Tip ups

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Awesome job Jiggin.  Glad to hear the house is ready to go.  I will have my wheel house and radio up there after the Winni Derby.  I can't wait.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:07 PM »
Great pics, looking forward to the early ice vids.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Great pics, looking forward to the early ice vids.
Times two.

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Giddyup! Will have to make it this year as it's a bucket list trip for me.  :tipup:

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Right On Man, Good to see some traps on a big lake.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:47 PM »
here we go !......buckle up.......this should be good !!!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:53 PM »
May it be a safe and productive season for the NC.
Looking forward to coming up this year.
Tight lines to all!!!

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Come to think of it I haven't fished new foundlake since I was in my early 20s it was a zoo back then the lake was packed and no place to park I hope to go up this year and meet some of the folks on here I do know it has nice Lakers and is very deep good luck jiggin I hope to come up there when there is safe ice .

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:00 AM »
welcome back

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:48 AM »
   Welcome back Jiggin to you and the crew. Be safe
John

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Be safe  circus folks and have a great year.  I'll be up for the week end of the derby and the following week on vacation. Can't wait !!!  Might sneak in a trip before too
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:41 PM »
same channel 5.5

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Could someone give me an overview on regulations in nh. I think you are not allowed to use treble hooks on your tip ups if I remember right.  I want to take my dad out for his birth day for e Meredith derby. I live in ny now but can't remember the rules. Thanks

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Could someone give me an overview on regulations in nh. I think you are not allowed to use treble hooks on your tip ups if I remember right.  I want to take my dad out for his birth day for e Meredith derby. I live in ny now but can't remember the rules. Thanks

Easier i you remember, if your using bait (any kind, live or artificial) only use a single hook only. No bait use a treble.

Good luck!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:43 PM »
We have a digest for a reason ;)

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:45 PM »
It's just as easy to ask. What is the restriction on how many lines you can have on new found. I think I'm reading only two lines?  Is that hand lines or total with tip ups?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:11 PM »

Nice day today. Cold but no wind. Ice is black, like plexiglass. Very cool. Great day to fly a drone, so we did.

Da Jew caught the 1st laker this season with Frog catching one shortly after. Rest of us were skunked.

Shortly after we got to the lake, Guinea showed up. After getting lines in the water, I was telling her it is really cool to lay on the ice and use your ice picks to drag yourself around on the ice while checking out the bottom. Cool to see all the stuff on the bottom, structure as well as watching it drop off to the "abysses". So she did but while dragging herself around face first on the ice, we noticed EMS and Bristol PD showed up. Guinea went over to greet them so I thought nothing of it until CH told me they were giving her a hard time.

I went over to talk to them. Of course the 1 EMS was very vocal. The cop and other EMS didn't say much. I asked what the problem was, which he responded "the water was wide open the other day". I told him "yes it was, but now it's not." He then told me that "it's not much fun rescuing people through thin ice", which i responded, "Yes i know I've done it a few times myself pulling people, houses and wheelers out of the ice". He then said "the ice is unsafe and we shouldn't be on it" which I responded "how do you know? Have you gone out and checked it with a chisel?" He said "no i didn't". I responded "well I did and it is some of the best ice I have seen so how can you tell me that the ice is unsafe, when you really don't know?"

I asked him why they were there? He told me that someone reported a person on the ice using picks trying to pull themselves out. Ah, Ok i get it now!
First i want to thank you for doing your job and covering our backs. It's good to know that if there was a problem, you have us covered. I sincerely thanked them for coming out and expressing their concerns but a couple of things have me confused, why didn't the person who called it in, stay? and why wasn't FNG called? No reply.
The cop did say he saw me putting my house out yesterday on the beach and was hoping i wasn't going to put it out on the ice. I told him no worries, it is still unsafe for a house of my size however we are using the house to stay warm and fishing with tip ups from shore. Later we went out and jigged but with no luck. We have about 4" of pure black ice, very strong and made more ice all day today.

Although I really appreicate EMS and the Bristol PD for being there (which I thanked them for), I was waiting for them to tell us we had to get off the lake. Luckily that never happened. In all fairness, the Bristol PD and the 1 EMS person were very decent. The other we'll call was "very concerned" which i can understand to a point.
Later in the day, families were coming out ice skating near shore. Great ice and day for that too.

Got to see many folks stop by and take pictures including 1 guy from New York, first time on the ice. Came out and we took pictures for him of himself on the ice. He was very happy. All day long we had visitors stop in. Best part was seeing some of the Newfound Circus folks stop in and visit. Like family coming together after several months apart. 

Looking forward to more as the season progresses.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:16 PM »
It's just as easy to ask. What is the restriction on how many lines you can have on new found. I think I'm reading only two lines?  Is that hand lines or total with tip ups?

Yes it is easy to ask however it is always best to look into the laws yourself. I'm pretty sure if you get busted by FNG, the excuse "Jiggin or someone from Ice shanty told me it was ok".....wont fly. Use what we say as only a reference but make sure you check for yourself, it is best.

You are only allowed 2 lines in the water on Newfound. You can have a jig stick or jig rod and a tip up. You can have 2 tip ups. You can have 2 jigs sticks or rods. But you can only have 2 lines total in the water. Hope this helps.

Now if you wanna talk cusk fishing which i have a feeling your not, that's a different story.

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Yes it is easy to ask however it is always best to look into the laws yourself. I'm pretty sure if you get busted by FNG, the excuse "Jiggin or someone from Ice shanty told me it was ok".....wont fly. Use what we say as only a reference but make sure you check for yourself, it is best.

You are only allowed 2 lines in the water on Newfound. You can have a jig stick or jig rod and a tip up. You can have 2 tip ups. You can have 2 jigs sticks or rods. But you can only have 2 lines total in the water. Hope this helps.

Now if you wanna talk cusk fishing which i have a feeling your not, that's a different story.

I had read the fishing reg but I just wanted to confirm what I was reading. Thanks for your input

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:19 PM »
   So Guinea is raising hell already. LOL  sounds as though you handled that situation well Jiggin.
John

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Had a bunch of things to say about your experience with the "vocal" EMS JIGGIN.
After reading til the end, I guess there's two sides to the story.
The vocal EMS was probably a little perturbed about the "scary" call. OTH, doubt she / he's ice thickness safety certified?

Steph... do you always do what your told?  :nono: :nono:
A little early to be getting in trouble, girl... :callcops:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:51 PM »

Went out to check on the bob house and got to witness a laker caught by Laker Taker on a tip up. His 1st of the year.

~ 5+" of snow on the lake with a top layer of crust. Good to see some wet spots on there, hopefully will freeze up this week. Get the house onto the lake this coming weekend.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:56 PM »
was able to get out and do battle with lakertaker...he got 2... i got 1...but it was fun....we stared each other down like in a western,trying diferent things..
ice still very thin...should freeze up good next cold snap..
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Let the battle begin!

A fish off between the teacher Laker Taker and his pupil, Tippin.

Go Go Get Em!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Yeah, thanks to Jiggin for taking the heat off of me! I had all the answers that would NOT satisfy...(I have ice picks, the water is up to my knees, if I get wet my truck is right there....). It felt like 15 minutes I was being grilled, but it was probably more like 5 lol.

And hey, you forgot, I jigged up that trolling lure!  ;)

It was great to see everyone that was there, or just stopped by to say hello!

It's extremely windy in Bristol today.....even just downtown. I hope it doesn't do too much damage.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:00 AM »
Thanks Guinea.

If you get a chance at lunch, check on Beerhog's house. He brought it out onto the lake yesterday and I heard it was leaning late in the day. Plus this wind, I think he only had it tied down in 2 corners.

I left him a message at home and on his cell but no reply's back.

I can check after work today too on my way home.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:15 AM »
I'll run over at lunch!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline beerhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:55 PM »
All is well the house had fallen of blocks rookie mistake two tie downs cheap rope and 40 mph winds .got out today fixed my mistake now have four tie downs and told the wind to stop no response except it blew harder ended the day with 2lakers 18 and22 inches yeehaw the ice is sinched up at end of the day the wind is still blowing thanks to all that was looking out for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.