The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clark canyon help  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clark canyon help
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Hello all!! I fished CC for the dirt time last year....had some
Luck with the ling...I'm looking at going back in a couple of weeks.
I would like to go for some trout during the day and ling at night?? Any suggestions of what areas to fish
On cc for trout during the day and ling during the night ? Or maybe staying
In the same area and fishing for both...maybe different tactics?
Thanks for your suggestions!!! And good fishin'!!

Offline Big Shmack

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clark canyon help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Call Rocky Mountain Supply 406-683-2308 in Dillon ask for fishing department. There's a guy in dillon that makes jigs they sell there that work great for trout. I call them an ice crab tipped with maggots is whats worked for me. There doing good by the dam is what I heard.

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. I've got  some ling jigs there before. I wonder if you can fish for ling at the dam?

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:25 PM »
I don't know how to fish CC...tomorrow will be my first trip out.  I will tell you that Rocky Mtn Supply only has a handful of nightcrawlers...no waxies, no maggots, no sucker fillets as of 5pm this evening so better plan to get bait before you come to town.

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:52 PM »
Good luck!! Let me know how you do.!

Offline SchmittyMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2015, 12:48 AM »
Ive been having decent luck at the dam for ling. One night last week caught a limit and was back in town in under 2 hours. 30ft off the dam on the camp ground side, roughly 20-30fow.  not my favorite place to go after ling but before this cold front it was the only place safe enough to go. Good luck!

Offline OhioEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:48 PM »
New to the ling thing.  I know they are primarily nocturnal feeders, but is the best time right at dark or after it's been dark for awhile?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:15 PM »
You guys should message/email bigskyokie. He seems like he has them dialed in. Haven't seen him on here for a while though.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:50 PM »
New to the ling thing.  I know they are primarily nocturnal feeders, but is the best time right at dark or after it's been dark for awhile?

Dusk to dawn or even late afternoon. Any heavy spoon like an old Daredevil tipped with a hunk of sucker, sculpin, crayfish or shrimp jigged and pounded on the bottom for a bit and left still for a bit a foot off the bottom. I guess the fluorescent stuff is in vogue but have not tried them yet.

Offline OhioEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Thanks Wenger.  Hoping to get down there Sunday or Monday.  I don't have a shanty and have learned from prior experience to check the wind forecast.  Maybe i will build something tomorrow...

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:11 PM »
I had pretty good luck last winter with cut bait with and kind of heavy jig...caught them as it was getting dark and even around midnight...has anyone had luck by the big island for trout during the day??

Offline jamesstevens1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:41 PM »
I had pretty good luck last winter with cut bait with and kind of heavy jig...caught them as it was getting dark and even around midnight...has anyone had luck by the big island for trout during the day??
During the summer we had some luck on the back side of the island near points....haven't tried in the winter.  The hike is always a limiting factor.

Offline Gundy7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:02 AM »
I have only fished it once and we caught 7-8 ling during a day bite.  We used jigs (white) with night crawlers and a minnow. I also tried some sucker meat in that cocktail bait as well and had success.  We were jigging near the bottom of the lake but it was a few years ago and I don't really remeber exactly where we were on the lake. Good luck. 

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I have only fished it once and we caught 7-8 ling during a day bite.  We used jigs (white) with night crawlers and a minnow. I also tried some sucker meat in that cocktail bait as well and had success.  We were jigging near the bottom of the lake but it was a few years ago and I don't really remeber exactly where we were on the lake. Good luck.

Dead preserved minnow...right? ::)

Offline StoneIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Fishing for ling can be strange.  I remember fishing one night on CC.  We had something like 8 holes drilled between all of us.  We caught something like 11 ling that night, every one of them came out of one hole except one.  Somebody finally drilled a hole about 8 inches off of the one we were catching all the fish out of and caught one out of that one.  Wish I could have seen the exact contour and maybe even video of what was going on down there that night.

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:45 PM »
That's pretty interesting....do you know of any contour maps that you can access for CC?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:24 PM »
That's pretty interesting....do you know of any contour maps that you can access for CC?

Made this a awhile back. You will need Google Earth to view the .kml files.  Read my original post. It has how to download and view. CC is in the Region 3 file ( R3_Bath.kml) Any question just PM.... hopefully headed that way soon too.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=202841.120

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:18 PM »

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=273321.msg2815569#msg2815569

The second picture is of CC. I mark all of my fishing spot on my phone and with having the contours it helps with scouting. Or do what everyone else does and setup next to the locals.

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:38 PM »
Awesome!! That's some great info!! Will be there middle of next week...that map really helps.

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:43 PM »
Awesome!! That's some great info!! Will be there middle of next week...that map really helps.

PM me with your email and I will send you a PDF. Just download the app or go old school and print it.

Offline finsandfeathers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:12 AM »
How much pressure does CC get during day and night ?

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:58 AM »
I went up sunday and drilled a hole near the dam and fished for a bit...nothing.  I didn't have my shanty labeled so I stayed only as long as I felt was a good effort

Finsandfeathers, I saw about 15-20 shanties up and I assume only half were being used at the time.  There was one spot where 4-5 shanties were stacked on top of each other and I assume that is one of the "hotspots".

Offline Bigskyokie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:56 PM »
Thanks for the mention, Missoulafish.  I have been working, fishing crappie, and following crappie.com all winter, in our winter home, Oklahoma.  This is the first time to get on ISC this year.  CC ling really like frozen smelt, which you can usually get at Safeways.  Fish them day or night, on a single hook, or on one of the big glow jigs with mylar "wings" that you can get at Anderson and Platt.  DEEP is good, but you can get them just about anywhere.  Just make sure you don't drive over the warm springs on the east side.  Our best spot was at the toe of the slope, right in front of the lookout.  The comment about one hole getting all the fish is typical of the ling.  Back in about '77, we had a hole that literally produced almost a thousand fish.  We re-drilled it every time out.  But holes that were within 3-10 feet produced very little.
BTW, my brother in Dillon says it has been very warm this winter, and there are no posts on this thread after Jan. 6.  Does that possibly mean that the ice is no good?  If so, maybe global warming is real.  Down here, we have had more ice on the water than usual, with a -6 degrees expected this week.
If anyone wants particulars on the ling or the trout, feel free to email at [email protected].
Tight lines and good ice, guys.   

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:54 PM »
There are boats on the south end of the lake and the ice is crap everywhere else

Offline Bigskyokie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2015, 11:06 PM »
Ouch. But ice out is a super time to nail the big'uns on that south end, especially trolling a big Rapala.  It was below zero here last night, and now we have a bad ice storm.  Tomorrow,we're supposed to take a seven hour drive.   :(

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Anybody know if CC is ice fishing at all? I would love to get out there again for some ling...!!
Has anyone used trout parts for ling?

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I haven't heard of anyone on the ice.  I know of people fishing the open water on the south end.

I think the regs state that no parts of salmonids (with the exception of eggs) can be used for bait.

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:07 AM »
Called rockey mtn supply today..they told me that there's people ice fishing still..maybe still some hope!!! :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.