The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 8" or 9"?  (Read 563 times)

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
8" or 9"?
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 11:34 PM »
I'm sure this has come up here before, but a couple searches didn't answer all of the questions I had.

I've settled on the Jiffy Pro 4 propane auger.  Now I need to decide on the 8" or 9" auger.  Most of my fishing will be for panfish, but my parents have a pond that is loaded with 6-10# catfish.  I plan to set tip ups for the cats when I fish out there.  I will also take 3-5 trips a year where we will be setting tips ups for pike (N.E. S.D. and North central Nebraska).  When I fish around home, there will be small kids around. 

I also wondered about the lifespan of the 9" blades?  Are they popular enough that Jiffy will continue to build them for the foreseeable future?  I'll buy a couple extra blades for whatever size I decide to go with, I'm just trying to cover my bases.

Thanks for your input, and sorry if these questions have been asked time and again.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 8" or 9"?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 03:37 AM »
Most people use either 8 or 10 inch augers.  An 8 inch auger will work for you and because of the chance of a kid falling into or through I'd go with an 8 inch auger.  Sure 1 inch isn't much but when dealing with kids it can make the difference between a kid getting a broken or wet leg rather than falling through and drowning. 

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:14 AM »
I'd have bought a 9", if they where in stock when I got my Pro 4.  They where not, so I went with the 10.  Pro 4 has plenty of power for any size drill.  Jiffy chippers are simple to sharpen, so I would not see a reason to need to replace them often.  Maybe pick up one extra set, and have nothing to worry about if they stopped making them for some reason. 

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll go with the 8".

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Don't you know by now that bigger is always better??  If  you fish where it's really cold, 10" holes can become 6" holes fairly quick.  If you're worried about kids falling in, tie a broom stick around their waist so they can only go in waist deep!!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:13 PM »
If  you fish where it's really cold, 10" holes can become 6" holes fairly quick.
X2
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.