Author Topic: Baiting your quick strike rigs  (Read 4006 times)

Offline chironomidkraut

• IceShanty Rookie
Baiting your quick strike rigs
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Where do u guys place the double treble hooks on the dead baitfish?
I have seen one thru the eye and one by the dorsal fin, I have seen both trebles on the back, what's your guys opinion?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Baiting your quick strike rigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:54 AM »
I hook so the dead bait hangs as perfectly horizontal as possible. This means, one behind the head and the other hook back far enough, to balance it out.

WS

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I do the same as Whopper Stopper. You also want to make sure they aren't tilted from side to side.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:33 AM »
I likes to put one near the head but on one side, with the hooks facing the tail, and one near the tail on the other side, with the barbs facing the head. , so at what ever end the strike come from, there is a hook facing the way you want. I now use only circle hooks, but his method made sense  to me. Most will say all strikes come head first, and maybe most do but I spear also and have seen many a decoy hit side on or in the back

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:25 AM »
I likes to put one near the head but on one side, with the hooks facing the tail, and one near the tail on the other side, with the barbs facing the head. , so at what ever end the strike come from, there is a hook facing the way you want. I now use only circle hooks, but his method made sense  to me. Most will say all strikes come head first, and maybe most do but I spear also and have seen many a decoy hit side on or in the back
Most of my strikes come from the side on big baits. They tee bone it, go to bottom, and turn it 90 degrees. Personally, I don't like quick strikes, for more than one reason.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Oh boy, I'm at odds with just about everyone here...........

First, (all due respect to those who believe) it does not matter if that bait is horizontal or not. I've had a zillion "lessons" and still just snap one on and dangle it with as good or better success than the "teachers". I mean really, who are we foolin'? the thing is DEAD! One eye hanging out, half the fins busted off, guts starting to ooze and stink to high heaven in some cases......... It's D E A D. It's an easy target..... it's D E A D. Ever see a dead fish in the water? Head up, head down, upside down..... you name it. Now that's natural. For dead.

I won't fish dead without a Q/S rig. Period. Traditional Q/S for me, not the two legged versions. Keep it simple. Never had a reason to change that up.

As for how to hook. I usually put one just behind the head and the other just past the dorsal, kind of off to the side so they list a bit. Sometimes I'll move the whole works back until they hang head down @ a 45 or so. Caught some good fish mid season in deep water with the head just touching the mud.......

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:12 PM »
One between head and dorsal, one between dorsal and tail. One hook going in the left side, one hook going in the right side. I run Northland Predator QS rigs when I'm fishing for big pike. 8-12" dead suckers.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2016, 04:48 PM »
do it like gord Pyzor never horizontal head hanging down. got to this site scroll down and watch his video.
http://www.northernontario.travel/fishing/quick-strike-pike-in-northern-ontario
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 04:55 PM »
I do the same as Whopper Stopper.

Me too.
Don't really care if it's level or not though.
Just jam one treble through the skull and one through the back and throw it down the hole.
Considering I consistently catch 40"+ pike I see no reason to change. 
  :whistle:

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:22 PM »
I have seen situations where the pike absolutely will not touch a bait unless it's hung a certain way. Seen a few occasions like this where they would only hit baits that were hung a certain way. Just my experience though, I'm sure everyone's experiences differ from angler to angler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.