Author Topic: Marcum Ice Force Lithium 12Volt 10Amp Battery  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Ice Force Lithium 12Volt 10Amp Battery
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Has anyone had a chance to purchase one of these batteries and try it out yet. I can't find them for sale anywhere. They need a dedicated charger but look great!
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcum Ice Force Lithium 12Volt 10Amp Battery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:37 PM »
I just saw these Marcum 10 amp Lithium batteries on the Rapala.com website.Rapala bought out Marcum. They are $149.

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Thanks Pete Ya I've seen them on the Rapala site bit I'm in Canada. They must be available through some retail stores. I'll make some inquiries and report back.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:40 PM »
I can't understand why you would need a lithium battery over an SLA for a fish finder. The price difference doesn't justify the added cost and advantages at this time.Even at the higher prices of SLAs that's 4 or 5 batteries.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Just ordered a FM1290 12v9ah battery for $22.99. Even if it only lasts 2 yrs., I can buy 6 of them for the price of a lithium. Unless the lithium is guaranteed to last more than 12 yrs. I wouldn't even consider buying one at that price.
JAO

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Lithium is half the weight and twice the reserve power. SOLD!

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Actually the Lithium is less than 1/3 the weight as the same size SLA battery. If your 66yrs old and pulling a sled any distance the cost is worth it. At least to me it is  ;)
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Actually the Lithium is less than 1/3 the weight as the same size SLA battery. If your 66yrs old and pulling a sled any distance the cost is worth it. At least to me it is  ;)

I always carry a spare SLA so the weight saving is even more significant. 1 lightweight battery is much better than two heavy ones. My LX-9 is a tank with the SLA battery. Now we just need to get the price of the Lithiums down.

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:51 PM »
I thought I read on a message board about one smoking while charging.  But I dont remember where I saw that.  Darn age thing.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I always carry a spare SLA so the weight saving is even more significant. 1 lightweight battery is much better than two heavy ones. My LX-9 is a tank with the SLA battery. Now we just need to get the price of the Lithiums down.

Yeah the first thing I noticed on my LX-7 was how big and heavy it is!  I might switch to the lithium battery....

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Yeah the first thing I noticed on my LX-7 was how big and heavy it is!  I might switch to the lithium battery....
I switched to lithium battery from Bioenno and I love it, much lighter, be careful however if you use one as that strap on the LX-7, if used to carry it, the back end is so light my unit fell out of the case on the ice! From now on I carry it with the handle that is actually part of the plastic case itself. I will never ever go back to NiCad battery even if they are free!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Very nice....I might have to look into that.  Approx how much more battery life are you getting?  I'm surprised they don't have fasteners to keep the unit inside of the case....

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Very nice....I might have to look into that.  Approx how much more battery life are you getting?  I'm surprised they don't have fasteners to keep the unit inside of the case....

Much more run time, will keep closer eye on how long, never run it out yet, yea, you certainly could velcro the plastic case to the pack, industrial velcro works so well that it is hard to get it detached.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Any updated reviews of this or any other lithium options available?

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2016, 05:25 PM »
I'd never heard of them before reading this post but I'm seeing 7ah lithium options on the web for 1/2 the price of this one and they don't need a dedicated charger.  What am I missing?  On the Rapala version you can see right on the picture of the battery that it doesn't have a protection circuit built in http://www.rapala.com/ice-force/ice-force/lithium-12volt-10amp-battery/lithium-12volt-10amp-battery/SEE12V10ANB.html but the cheaper versions I'm seeing do have a circuit in them.  I'm just thinking that if you have a 7ah battery and it is supposed to last quite a bit longer than a traditional SLA, why go more than 7ah?  I suppose there are times when you don't have access to a charger, etc but just seems that a 10ah lithium might be overkill? 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Lithium.... lots of advantages but also some down sides.

Plus: light weight, does not drain off (much) during periods of non-use, better tolerance for cold (very cold) temps, oh, did I say lightweight

Minus: When they get low there is NO warning before they give up. None.... Fair warning.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline F.I.Sherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05:39 PM »
lithium batteries performance drops as the temperature does. if you read carefully the specifications are at above freezing

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Also check to make sure your charger is safe to use with a Lithium battery, not all are rated for charging Lithium batteries. 

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I've had my lithium from Rapala for 3 seasons now. Never had an issue with it charging or going low on charge even in frigid temps and it's unbelievable how much lighter it makes the whole unit. Liked it so much I got one for the wifes LX7. In the off season I plug it in to the charger you have to buy for it and leave it. I'll never run a regular one again.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2016, 03:24 PM »
I just saw these Marcum 10 amp Lithium batteries on the Rapala.com website.Rapala bought out Marcum. They are $149.

For the last 2 years they have a sale anytime now and the battery is $119 to $124 delivered and no tax (if you're not from their state).
The 10 amp lithium from Rapala is 2.8 lbs. My 9 amp Vexilar lead-acid is 6.25 lbs.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:47 PM »
I bought a shorai lithium iron battery 4 years ago.  The 36 model ~ 229.00  Thought I was crazy, but wanted a bullet proof lightweight battery for ice fishing.  Absolutely love it.  Outlasts my 9ah sla by 3 times.  Has enough power to winch my 25' 1970's slickcraft boat onto the trailer.  Started the 8 cyl ford 302 engine in the boat during an emergency.  It also powers my trail camera as an external battery for 3 months out of the year.

Would I buy it again?  Probably not, as stated above, that is worth 10+ sla batteries.  However, at the end of an all day ice fishing trip when I accidentally left my key in the on position of the snowmobile, it also had enough power to start the 600cc polaris in below zero temps.

Inc

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:48 AM »
I use the lithium Dakota battery 10Ah http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v-lithium-lifepo4-replacement.aspx since rapala wont sell them in canada. just like all lithium batteries you need the right charger or you risk burning them out or over charging.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:08 PM »
I use the lithium Dakota battery 10Ah http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v-lithium-lifepo4-replacement.aspx since rapala wont sell them in canada. just light all lithium batteries you need the right charger or you risk burning them out or over charging.

Great link Whytie, those look like great prices! The 10AH battery you ordered from them, is it the exact same size as the SLA 9AH batteries? (roughly 6Lx2.5Wx3.75H???) All the 10AH batteries I find seem to be a little bigger dimensions and the fit it pretty snug in my vex fl-18.
I see you're in Saskatoon also, LOTS of guys around here that need these things I wish a local store would start carrying them
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:49 PM »
I use the lithium Dakota battery 10Ah http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v-lithium-lifepo4-replacement.aspx since rapala wont sell them in canada. just light all lithium batteries you need the right charger or you risk burning them out or over charging.

I have six of the earlier bamboo version of the clean republic 10ah.  Awesome battery, I believe the dakota are identical to the ice force battery.  They fit in vexilar packs great!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Great link Whytie, those look like great prices! The 10AH battery you ordered from them, is it the exact same size as the SLA 9AH batteries? (roughly 6Lx2.5Wx3.75H???) All the 10AH batteries I find seem to be a little bigger dimensions and the fit it pretty snug in my vex fl-18.
I see you're in Saskatoon also, LOTS of guys around here that need these things I wish a local store would start carrying them

yep they are the exact same size. I have it in my marcum so I can't compare if it would fit in a vexilar. I bought it 2 years ago when the dollar was almost at par so the exchange didn't hurt so bad lol. Definitely a huge reduction in weight about a 3.5lb difference, really helps when your hole hopping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.