The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Model 30 no start  (Read 873 times)

Offline akj8909

• IceShanty Rookie
Model 30 no start
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Ok guys ive got a 82 model 30 that wont start. I cleaned the carb and put in a new carb kit. Compression is at 95psi. That seems low to me, what is a normal reading on these motors? I can get it to run on ether but no go with gas. Thanks in advance

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Model 30 no start
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:43 AM »
If you have to use ether tha you still have a problem with the carb, there's no gas getting through.  Secondly, you'll find out very quickly that you will burn up another motor using ether, there's absolutely no oil in that crap and you'll scuff the cylinder walls.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:25 AM »
have you verified that there is gas getting to the carb??  pull the hose off the carb and you should have gas spilling out.  Old rubber hoses can be troublesome.  Also, when you cleaned the carb and rebuilt it you should have removed the two jet screws.  What do you have those set at currently?? 

Offline akj8909

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I do have fuel to the carb and low speed is out 1/4 turn and high speed is 1 1/4. As for the ether i only did it once to see if it would fire. I know its not good for it

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:00 PM »
turn them out more and see what happens. 

Offline akj8909

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Thanks man i got it going. I had to turn the low speed out to 1 turn though??

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Those motors are great but need to be adjusted from cold weather to warm. I love the old model 30s just wish they were lighter or wish I didn't have the mind set to troll the ice all the time cause that auger will run forever.
Fishin red lines

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Thanks man i got it going. I had to turn the low speed out to 1 turn though??

Those are just general guide lines and every carb is going to be a tad different.  It also depends on your location elevation and temp.  If you get it dialed in perfect in your back yard, it won't run on the ice!!  And vice versa, to a degree.  You may have to tinker with the carb a tad in different temps, but as long as you realize that is the issue, you will be all set.  Dial it in on your favorite lake in moderately cold temps and it should run great all the time with very little tweaking for the extreme cold and extreme warm weather.

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:22 PM »
i have the same cold start problem on 89 model 75 Attic blast . starts good on cool temps but not when the temps drops to 10 -15 below.
also wonder why it doesn't have a primer bulb.  ???

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:06 PM »
I don't think I have seen the 2 hp Tecumseh with primer bulb. strikemaster eskimo or jiffy...
Fishin red lines

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:12 PM »
When it comes to tecumsehs on strikemasters, jiffys, or eskimos, the only differences north of the gearboxes are the colors of the paint. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:26 AM »
I don't think I have seen the 2 hp Tecumseh with primer bulb. strikemaster eskimo or jiffy...
None of them have primers.... Just open the throttle with full choke.. they will start by the 3rd pull even below zero....
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.