The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Old Mora offset handle on a new Lazer?  (Read 810 times)

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
Old Mora offset handle on a new Lazer?
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Hi long time lurker first time poster   ;D  Anyways I am curious if anyone knows if an old Mora offset handle will work on a new Strikemaster lazer hand auger? I have been scouring ebay/craigslist for an offset handle for my 7" lazer with no luck. My dad has about a 30 year old Mora with the offset handle sitting in his basement and I'm curious if anyone has tried this combo out? If so are there any modifications needed? I searched the forums and couldn't really find anything and figured I would ask here before I ran over there and grabbed it just to save me the trouble in case it won't work or is too much of a hassle.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
Re: Old Mora offset handle on a new Lazer?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2015, 05:33 PM »
I have an old jiffy offset handle that I have put on my lazer auger. You probably need to stop and see your dad anyhow.

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Ya I should see him but he is never home, I tried to get him to go fishing with me today but he was too busy working  :(  I actually just found a post not too long ago that explains what I am looking for.

yes, save!  The old Mora was never very good.  Cut off the shaft just above the blade/flute section.  Save the lower shaft material for making lazer shaft extensions. Mount the offset handle (with folding mechanism, and a shaft extension below it) on a laser - closest thing to a power auger you'll ever find!  No more numb left arm, and you'll drill 2-3 times more holes before you're pooped!  I did that to my laser to get a longer, folding one.  Takes some practice to coordinate your movements, but well worth the effort!

I wonder where exactly to cut the shaft on the mora?  and than I assume you have to drill some holes through it to fit the thumb bolt through the shaft. Doesn't look too complicated I think I'll give it a shot.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Laser and Eskimos are pretty close to the same guy did it in this thread http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=297865.msg3123665#msg3123665

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:06 PM »
I modified it to work, I felt bad butchering the old Mora but it was for a good cause. Everything was pretty straight forward but I had a hard time drilling a straight hole by hand through the shaft. The handle is a little high but as much ice as we have around here I think it will work just fine plus the folding handle is an added bonus. Here are some pics.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Looks like it will work perfect, I agree it is hard to keep the holes straight but you will sure like the way it works  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.