New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: canadarago lake  (Read 6366 times)

Offline JoshE18

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: canadarago lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:11 AM »
Anyone check the ice today going out tomarrow with the wife and she's not a fan of thin ice lol don't know if I'm better off going back to youngs where I know it's solid

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Youngs has a lot more ice...Cando is spotty and wet in places

Offline JoshE18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Thanks a lot system youngs it is maybe I can hook another big pickerel and not have it snap my line this time lol

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:29 AM »
6" perch have plenty of meat on them I keep them to fill the limit
i keep 5in perch and pickle them. easy and safe if you it right
 ;D ;D ;D ;
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2015, 10:49 AM »
I love eatin winter pickerel - fillet them, put them in the freezer to harden up, cut into 1" strips, and into the meat grinder w/bread crumbs, seasoning, egg, etc to make pickerel patties.  absolutely no bones make it out of the grinder.  coat in seasoned bread crumbs and into the skillet.  delicious.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Want cando picks? Go to the north end in 10 fow and put shiners down. They'll be there

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Want cando picks? Go to the north end in 10 fow and put shiners down. They'll be there

Do you prefer shiners over minnows?     @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:33 AM »
I like catching 4" perch with the jig rod for bait and counting them as part of my daily limit by using them for bait.  two birds with one hook so to speak.  That keeps the dink perch off my tipup hooks too.

Offline Ima Fishin addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin the American dream
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Got out today and tried a few spots, ice was 4-6inches depending on the area. Fishing was pretty slow.

Offline Drifter315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:18 AM »
Any parking
The tug is the drug !!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:04 AM »
Any parking

The boat launch or Bakers Beach...  ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:19 AM »
I love eatin winter pickerel - fillet them, put them in the freezer to harden up, cut into 1" strips, and into the meat grinder w/bread crumbs, seasoning, egg, etc to make pickerel patties.  absolutely no bones make it out of the grinder.  coat in seasoned bread crumbs and into the skillet.  delicious.

I love those patties myself!!!  but if you get big pickerel try filleting them and pan fring there good too.....

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:22 AM »
A friend and his kids were out by the island yesterday on the East side..  He said nothing over 5"...
Ice is good over there because they are putting out a 6 x 8 green monster shanty...  ;D ;D

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:37 AM »
"Nothing over 5 inches."   That comment says it all for what the perch fishing has become there.

Offline ocSpecial

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:11 AM »
I'm not sure how many years ago it was, probably 4 or 5.  4 of us went out and iced 85 perch.  From 10"-13".  Stellar day.  That was the first time I ever ice fished that lake.  Don't think I've caught a 10" or better perch out of that lake since that day.  Will it ever come back???  I sure hope so...
Fish On!

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:42 AM »
that sounds like an amazing day, and I know I'll get crap for saying this, but,
 "...and we wonder why there's only dinks left in cando.."

That story was replayed over and over at cando that year, and the fishery has never recovered.  It is even referred to in DEC reports and by NYS biologists as a major turning point in the fishery

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Straight from the NYSDEC Bureau of Fisheries 2013-14 Annual Report:

The percid fishery in the lake appears out of balance in recent years with an abundance of juvenile
yellow perch, few larger perch,
very few juvenile walleye and a top heavy population of older walleye.
Walleye recruitment remains problematic, despite the larger size at stocking. However, the lake remains a very productive warmwater fishery for a variety of species. DEC will continue to stock walleye to maintain the species for angler harvest and we expect the quality of the yellow perch population will improve as the abundant juvenile fish grow to desirable sizes.

I do not share their optimism for the quality of the perch population to improve.  When the predator/prey relationship of a fishery is out of balance (too many prey for a given body of water) they do not grow, they stunt.  This has happened all across the country, its not  unique.  In my opinion, only when they start restocking tiger muskies, a major predator of perch, will the avg. size of perch start to increase.  Back in the early 80's when I first started ice fishing Cando you could catch 2 perch at a time all day long, but they were all small.  DEC started its tiger stocking program and within a few years the avg. size started to improve.  Coincidence?  I think not.     

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:39 AM »
A friend and his kids were out by the island yesterday on the East side..  He said nothing over 5"...
Ice is good over there because they are putting out a 6 x 8 green monster shanty...  ;D ;D
We stopped out there for an hour on our way home yesterday to see chris. Always some action on cando even if it's 4 inch fish

Offline hardwater22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:55 AM »
I'm a tip up guy. Sometimes I jig for perch while I'm waiting.  20 mins from the north end. Is it worth the trip for me?

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:10 AM »
The solution comes from us anglers again license fees are not covering much these days .The area needs a muskie club where members raise funds and hold derbies etc.These clubs buy the fish themselves even properly stock fish that can survive!The lake is off tigers 10 per acre for 5 To 6 years may help greatly curtailing all those dink perch.I have pounded the lake for tigers over the years it always was tough producing heavy beautiful tiger muskie.Now it stinks The chances someone putting enormous amount of time effort and resources these days no way.New jersey has done.Esox angling in NY is shot certified bait thanks Dec. ::) :-\ ???
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:48 AM »
The only issue I see with musky stocking is their size and what they eat esox. Your signature describes what happens perfectly. Once they hit 25 inches they wont target the small perch any more but will really eat larger perch bass walleye etc.i received a picture a few years back from a buddy who was boating on cando. Found a giant tiger floating dead.and I mean giant. In its mouth was a walleye. He was able to grab and measured the walleye at just under 24 Inches. Imagine how many bass walleye pickerel that fish had ate who were eating the dink perch.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:38 AM »
Guys, I know some of you don't want to hear this but.... it's all about selective harvest, you got to keep what you need and stop taking all of the bigger fish and keep some of the 7,8,9 in. If everybody keeps the 10-13+ fish all the time, 25 at a wack, then the lake can only sustain that size of fish for so long. It takes along time to grow a perch to be 12''+. We are the dominate predator in the lake more than the tiger muskie and we are the ones that can controll this if we are smart about the pressure that we put on the perch population.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Tigers are in the same family as northern pike.  Almost identical in their diets.  If northern pike are such efficient predators that they are controlling the populations of other game fish species, lakes all over this nation where they exist would have few bass and walleye.  In fact, most lakes with healthy pike populations also have healthy bass/walleye populations.  Not saying that they won't take a walleye when the opportunity exists but they certainly don't focus on larger game fish once they get to a certain size.  Nothing in research literature suggests that.  Here's a quote from Utah Outdoors on the subject of perch:
Tiger muskie do not normally reproduce and so their numbers can be controlled directly by regulating stocking and harvest. In Utah, they are being used effectively as a management tool to control the number of pan and rough fish in reservoirs. Before tigers were introduced in Pineview, the reservoir was overpopulated with perch and they were stunted — most running 5-7 inches. Now the perch population is healthier and fish run 9-11 inches.
Remove every tiger and pickerel from Cando and you will see no resulting increase in bass/walleye populations.  Fisheries Biology 101.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #53 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:17 PM »
"Guys, I know some of you don't want to hear this but.... it's all about selective harvest, you got to keep what you need and stop taking all of the bigger fish and keep some of the 7,8,9 in. If everybody keeps the 10-13+ fish all the time, 25 at a wack, then the lake can only sustain that size of fish for so long. It takes along time to grow a perch to be 12''+. We are the dominate predator in the lake more than the tiger muskie and we are the ones that can controll this if we are smart about the pressure that we put on the perch population"

Smartest thing I've seen in a long time...

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:17 PM »
I'm not saying to reduce the number or remove the fish.the larger predators definitely play their role in keep ecology on track.but when they stock walleye fry all it is is a small perch buffet.without good numbers of the mid sized predators to feed on the small fish where is the balance?

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #55 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:21 PM »
"Remove every tiger and pickerel from Cando and you will see no resulting increase in bass/walleye populations.  Fisheries Biology 101."

There is no way I could believe this...if you saw the walleye fry we stock, this past year's were the size of my thumbnail.  Pickerel are hammering that buffet.  Same thing with the newly hatched bass fry etc.  Now, the alewives do a heck of a lot more damage than the comparatively few pickerel, but sill, the predator fish make a difference.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:21 PM »
MBrown aren't you supposed to be at work!!

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:27 PM »
Haha yes sir I am but was feeling a little under the weather today I guess :P

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Nobody fishing Cando? A few days ago not one sole out there. What gives?

Offline CNY Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:40 AM »
RTF, I am thinking the lakes reputation has preceded itself  :(.
Retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.