The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull lake  (Read 57062 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull lake
« Reply #510 on: Mar 16, 2015, 03:32 PM »
smeltbuster thats not a half bad idea Jeff and I will have to try that next year doubt it will fly with the women, but worth a try none the less. as for lucky Bob and Ed,  I dont know how any of you caught any fish sounded like you were having way to much fun over there to be catching , although I watched Ed pulling them in left and right, maybe thats why we didnt do so great {to busy watch him instead of watching my pole}anyway had a great season this year , and enjoyed the time we spent together hope we meet again soon. happy fishing
Fishing w/ Bob, is just plain fun, because you know he is going to outfish you (usually 2X the #) ;D. Him & Ed are so bad at lying to each other , it sounds REAL ! Bob is also an excellent cook, he bought out a huge platter of fried smelt,  & while we dropped our lines down, we would grab one & eat it real quick ! Bob always says "I'm just Lucky"!,  yeah right, your a good cook, great smelt fisherman, & a pretty good liar, ooopps, I almost forgot, one of the nicest guys around, as long as you don't spud him in   ;D. icepick454, see ya on FB, & hoping to get together soon. 
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #511 on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Just curious if the ice is still holding up or did the last few days take its toll?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #512 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Work permitting, I will try to check the ice on the lake, on Wed.,  It might be Thurs., if I don't get out early enough. Honestly, I believe, w/ the warm temps, we are done  chasing smelt , but I will still try to check it out. As of right now, work is getting in the way of fishing, but, as a retired scoutmaster, I will " Do my best", to get the ice conditions  on here .
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #513 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I'll be checking the conditions tomorrow morning on gull.. Will post what I see out there. Hoping north end still accessible. If so it'll be the last trip till soft water. Seen guys out there today still

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #514 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Thanks!  Any info would be appreciated.  Wouldn't mind trying one more night if it's feasible.

Offline marakey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #515 on: Mar 19, 2015, 02:21 PM »
I'll be checking the conditions tomorrow morning on gull.. Will post what I see out there. Hoping north end still accessible. If so it'll be the last trip till soft water. Seen guys out there today still

Did you get a chance to check the ice, Thanks for any reports

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #516 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:22 PM »
OK, so here is my report on what I found this afternoon, just before 5:00 pm,. It is not  looking good on the north end. I could not get to safe ice, w/ my knee boots, however, Smelt jr. said there were 3 guys out there, last night. You might be able to get to good ice w/ waders, but I'm not that crazy ! Baseline rd., I waded out to knee deep water , & my spud went through, about 4" of honeycombed ice, w/ 1 whack. I did see 3 people out in front of Ross Twp. park, several hundred yds. from shore. On south bay, there were guys on the ice, working on docks. At 2nd. bay, I seen a guy fishing at the north part of it, where it gets skinny. I walked out ,off the dock at the salon, & drilled a hole, there was about 10" of good hard ice. I did not go farther, because I was by myself. As of now, I am going to try to fish 2nd. bay, on Fri. night. My son also seen 2 guys on the bible conf. , yesterday. What ever you do, please be careful & use common sense. I am just sharing, what I found.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #517 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Thanks for the update smeltbuster.  Sounds like it's time for me to put my ice gear away 'til next season.  Stay safe if you go out.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #518 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:10 AM »
Thanks Smeltbuster for  report  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  maybe I will head down there for one last outing  :'( just don't want to be only one. Just wish northend was fishable.

Offline marakey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #519 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Thanks Smeltbuster for  report  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  maybe I will head down there for one last outing  :'( just don't want to be only one. Just wish northend was fishable.

I'm going tonight, I will report in the morning, Thanks to everyone that has given ice conditions

Offline icepick454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #520 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:47 PM »
going to have to start calling you smeltaholic instead of smeltbuster. be careful Phil 

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #521 on: Mar 20, 2015, 06:02 PM »

going to have to start calling you smeltaholic instead of smeltbuster. be careful Phil 
Well, I just got home, & its not even 7:00 p.m.. The ice was just too unstable for us to go out . Still about 8", but the top 5" was junk. Not worth taking a  chance on a polar plunge ! Icepick, that's what my family calls me  ;D.  I am going to get the "Toon" out tommorrow , & get it ready to do some Icebreaking in a week or 2 , on the north end, & try that, for smelt.  I am really sorry if my report from last night caused some folks to make the drive to Gull, tonight. The last 24 hrs. have really messed things up.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #522 on: Mar 21, 2015, 02:33 AM »
Thanks again for phone call Smeltbuster letting me know not to come down  ;) . I was pretty bummed out though was looking forward to last trip on the hard water, season ended way to soon  :'( :'( :'(. I am liking the warmer temps. Just wish we could have both. ;D :thumbsup:. Just have to wait till next year i guess  @). Just remembering had my truck out there 2 weeks ago how quick it turn to crap  :o. The guys at work are going to be bummed no more smelt dinners till next year. If you need someone to join you on the Toon to try and get some smelt let me know Smeltbuster  :thumbsup:. I will be calling you to fish for the Coho's  ;D ;D. Take care all  ;)2. see you on the hard water next year.

Offline marakey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #523 on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Here's your report, fished the north basin last night, 8" of ice but just like smelt buster said, it is rotten, 3 cranks with the hand auger and through like butter, slayed the smelt, caught over 300, lots of doubles, I'm done until next year, it was a spooky walk in at 2:00 a.m.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #524 on: Mar 21, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Way to go ! That ice was just to bad for me. Anyone else out there last night ?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #525 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:24 AM »
 Smeltman,  you will probably be in Florida, when I am tryin to bust rotten ice, w/ the "Toon" ! I will give ya  a call though.  Looking forward to some  spring coho trolling, W/ ya. Have not done that in a long time. Alaska, spoiled me, on eating  great lks. salmon. Hoping to get some, to smoke & grill . The smelt gear is not put away, just yet, so this thread may have some really weird posts about ice fishing on a pontoon  ;D.  . Just have to see how everything works out. I am also going to work really hard at getting pics. of "The Run", in Prarieville  creek, in the next few weeks. Hoping Smelt jr. can help me out.

Offline matt93pgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #526 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:32 AM »
What happened to the smelt factory, no listings on ebay anymore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.