The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull lake  (Read 57071 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull lake
« Reply #450 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:26 PM »
For the last few years, I was using an" Aquastar" halogen light. I got it at D&R, about 4 yrs. ago, & paid 50 bucks for it. It is a very good light, & I did good w/ it, however, I had to haul a big battery out w/ me, because it uses so much juice. IMO, a great light.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Average-Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #451 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:40 PM »
thanks guys I'll take a look!

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #452 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:25 PM »
When many talk about walking out to 90 feet, is that from Prairieville Access, and about how far is that ? I haven't been down there in several years, but want to try it again - but knees are getting old.

Offline wayneone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #453 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:28 PM »
ok,so i'm curious,what is the phantom "thing"that darts past my submerged light when fishing gull?

Offline Tyee2075

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #454 on: Mar 04, 2015, 12:39 AM »
ok,so i'm curious,what is the phantom "thing"that darts past my submerged light when fishing gull?

Must be the same thing that broke me off twice in one night while reeling in a smelt.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #455 on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:48 AM »
I have lost a few Hali's while smelting due to the toothy critter, but i have seen a laker go by the hole also.  I love my AlumiGlo Superbrite 1200. Boy It is bright. It will be the last light i will have to buy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You get what you pay for i guess. And this Board is sponsored by the company. Fishing lights Etc.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #456 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:25 AM »
When many talk about walking out to 90 feet, is that from Prairieville Access, and about how far is that ? I haven't been down there in several years, but want to try it again - but knees are getting old.

Per my Navionics app it's about .41 miles to 90fow....I have made this walk before and it takes about 20min to walk (with minimal snow and not stopping while dragging all my crap)...it's a long ways.  The park looks like a dot on the horizon when you get out there.  I would suggest motorized transportation.  ;D
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #457 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:48 AM »
1/2 mile sounds about right.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #458 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Per my Navionics app it's about .41 miles to 90fow....I have made this walk before and it takes about 20min to walk (with minimal snow and not stopping)...it's a long ways.  The park looks like a dot on the horizon when you get out there.  I would suggest motorized transportation.  ;D

I love that Navionics app. Best $10.00 I ever spent. I use it almost every time I fish, hard or soft water.

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #459 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Thanks for the geography, guys. Just under a half mile sounds do-able, in stages. Unfortunately, I don't have a machine and it's not in the budget. I'll also hope they start coming into a little shallower water. In past years, have had good action in 60 to 70 feet late season, which is closer. I will prolly trek down in the next few days.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #460 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:13 PM »
It may be a bit closer, walking from Baseline rd., but you have to park 2 blocks away, from the lake. At least we don't have the deep snow, to deal w/ this year. 
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #461 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:29 PM »
I've caught em in less than 35 on the west side of the lake. Can't imagine the north end would be much different.  And by caught em I mean 200+ between 3 of us multiple times in that much water.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #462 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Hey guys; where can I get on the lake with a quad other then the dnr access on the north end?  Thanks in advance!

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #463 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Baseline road goes right into the lake.  Just keep noise down if your using it late at night.... It's got private residents on both sides.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #464 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:40 PM »
A little word of caution to you guys. I fished gull today. And I parked in a area that I have permission to park. There is several spots to park in this area. Long story short some of the locals have thrown down nails with the metal square backer. Usually used for nailing on house wrap or foam sheets. Keep your eyes peeled. I avoided a flat tire fortunately.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline luckyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #465 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Still trucks driving out there? Coming out tomorrow for a little fast action!

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #466 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Trucks were still driving out there as of last night. Smelt fishing was pretty good for me but not great. Going back out tonight. Had a laker/pike rod setup but no action on it. Sure would be fun to fight a beast on these little rods!

Offline odabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #467 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Anybody have a report from last couple of nights? Heading out this evening wondering what depth has been producing.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #468 on: Mar 06, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I will be out tonight, probably 90' or so. Will report when I get home.

Offline 20 pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #469 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Just got back from gull lake. For 2 1/2 hours of fishing we managed an impressive goose egg. We never got a bite and we hardly saw any fish on the graph. Fished about 95ft of water on the north end. Talked to another guy and he had 4 bites when we left. Several people were packing up early. Slow night. Still nice to get out onto the ice.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #470 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:25 PM »
When folks are leaving before 9:00 p.m., you know its a slow night :(.  My brother & me fished in 102' tonight, w/ a newbie, he met on the walk out. My brother had 46(that # keeps popping up ) , I had 63 &  Kirk (the newbie) had 27, & he is now hooked on smelt fishing  ;D . Some of my other friends did not do too good tonight either, as well as some guys we talked to, at the launch. I am going to fish a lil bit shallower, Sat. night. They are still driving out on the ice w/ trucks , & the walk is not too bad, according to my brother; its an easy run w/ my quad ! Finally got to meet up again w/ one of Prairieville's finest, tonight. It was great talking w/ ya Tyde777. Thanks for doing a great job.

Offline odabe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #471 on: Mar 07, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Do you think it will be a problem driving a truck out on the ice tonight? My concern is the amount of snow/slush that is on top of the ice. Fished in 110fow last night &ended up with 100 or so between 2 guys. I however only caught 40. It was a tough bite.

Offline luckyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #472 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Was out last night! Still lots of ice! Measured 18" In 82fow! We managed a 5 quart pale full between two of us! Around 200 fish

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #473 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:32 PM »
There ya go!
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline 20 pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #474 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Obviously there is a trick to this.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #475 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:22 PM »
Lots of folks out there tonight, & lots of trucks, vans, quads, etc. ! I fished in 102' again tonight, & did not do too good :(. .  Here is some Irony for everyone, tonight was my 20th. smelt trip this year. Guess how many I caught???... Yup, 20 !  Our group did not do too good. I talked to a group of 3 guys at the launch , that fished in about 80', & they had about 125.  I stopped on the way in , & talked to a couple of guys that were trying smelt fishing for the 1st. time, in 61' of water. they had no fish on the ice, & after 5 min. or so , w/ my Vex. , in one of their holes, they had no fish under them either. I did hear some hootin & hollerin, so maybe someone was catching them.  We also had a nice fireworks display on the N.E. corner of the lake tonight ! Those bright bursts, were brighter than my light, & were drawing the smelt  over there. I am pretty sure, that is the reason I did not do better. ;D.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #476 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:48 AM »
well we all  know its not always about the fish

Sounds like you have lots of fun, wish you 20 more memorable trips

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #477 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:33 PM »
well we all  know its not always about the fish

Sounds like you have lots of fun, wish you 20 more memorable trips

Thanks,  You are correct ! I always have fun, on my smelt fishing adventures !  Every year I make new friends ,  & get to meet up w/ old friends, that's the best part :). The smelt are just a bonus . Hoping to get out, at least one more week-end. I will be keeping a close eye on the shore ice conditions , starting on Wed. afternoon, work, permitting. Pretty sure, we will still be able to get out, next week-end. The creek on the north end, may cause some problems, we will see.

Offline Preacher Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #478 on: Mar 09, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Looking for a partner for tonight.   If interested PM me ASAP.....really want to go

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #479 on: Mar 09, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Looking for a partner for tonight.   If interested PM me ASAP.....really want to go
I just got to your PM, I cant fish tonight, I have to be to work at 0 dark :30, in the A.M.  :(.  Some of us, have to work, more than 1 day a week,  ;D ;D ;D. !  Good Luck , my Friend !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.