The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull lake  (Read 57061 times)

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
Re: Gull lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Just got back. No one fell in to my knowledge. Ice was 3 -3.5 ihes of nice clear ice.  Brought home 15 gills mist were borderline keepers. 6-7 inchers.. Like always PLENTY of sorting. 3.5 in turns into 1.5 at mouth of first bay after ice break up then 100 feet past that is open water. Had some kayakers come up about 150 yards from where we were fishing this a m.  Again.. no ice in second bay. So smelters have another weekish prolly at least.  Saw 2 hamerhandles iced in the bay and a guy fishing a tipup on the inch and a half part landed a few small keeper pike.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:30 PM »
And for anyone who hasn't heard. The Bayview market closed down. So grab your snacks and drinks, bait, and anything else beforehand!
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:02 PM »
And for anyone who hasn't heard. The Bayview market closed down. So grab your snacks and drinks, bait, and anything else beforehand!

Good to know....I did not know that...thanks for that info.
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Damn, I hope the next owner is as accommodating to ice fisherman and that they dont rip it down and put up a house or something.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2015, 06:09 PM »
It's already been bought. Same kinda deal. New owner said they will be keeping it close to the same and bringing in a couple new things as well.  I forget what the place is called but they own another convenience store in portage area.. seem to be pretty community oriented so my guess is they will be accepting of the ice fishing there.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:07 PM »
I will make sure they see some of my $$$ 

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:52 PM »
"Beer and Skittles" will be moving to the Bayview from whites rd in kalamazoo mid January from what I hear. They will be seeing a lot of my cash when they reopen too !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Tried for smelt tonight..... no smelt, however we did manage 2 LM bass (released), 5 gills & 6 nice specs. Everything was well after dark, in 31' of water. 3- 3 1/2  inches of hard, clear ice. Will be back out Sat. night, but I don't think I will be targeting smelt.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:50 AM »
Atta boy smeltbuster!
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:53 AM »
Tried for smelt tonight..... no smelt, however we did manage 2 LM bass (released), 5 gills & 6 nice specs. Everything was well after dark, in 31' of water. 3- 3 1/2  inches of hard, clear ice. Will be back out Sat. night, but I don't think I will be targeting smelt.

Were you guys in the shanty with the green Light. If so i saw you guys. I was fishing with ReadytoFish. Did real good on crappie filled half a five gallon bucket. Will post pictures after i get them cleaned. Also Need to get a TRASH CAN. People are leaving trash on the ice again.  WE also saw some Knucklehead's driving around in a boat breaking up new ice in the 2ND bay apparently they were looking for smelt.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:35 AM »
            First trip out of the new year. 22 nice crappies no monsters largest was 12inches

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:09 AM »
       Also Need to get a TRASH CAN. People are leaving trash on the ice again.  WE also saw some Knucklehead's driving around in a boat breaking up new ice in the 2ND bay apparently they were looking for smelt.

I must agree with the trash, come on guys please clean up after your self

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:26 AM »
I didn't make it out.  I ended up having to drive to Muskegon for work at like 4 yesterday.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:27 AM »
      Were you guys in the shanty with the green Light. If so i saw you guys. I was fishing with ReadytoFish. Did real good on crappie filled half a five gallon bucket. Will post pictures after i get them cleaned. Also Need to get a TRASH CAN. People are leaving trash on the ice again.  WE also saw some Knucklehead's driving around in a boat breaking up new ice in the 2ND bay apparently they were looking for smelt.
   Yes, that was us. Nice mess of fish there! I will try to get garbage cans out this week, at south bay & 2nd. bay. If you are out tonight, stop bye & say "hi', I , I have a Clam Jason Mitchell 5000 shanty, gray / black.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Hey guys finally posting after years of crawling here. Finally picked up a flasher and have the itch really bad to get out there. Ive only ever fished north gull and was wondering where to park on south gull. Heard along the road by bayview market, this still true? Hopefully getting out tonight or tomorrow night.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Buddy who's out now said someone took a dip about 45 minutes ago. Sounded like he got out safe but it was right in the middle of first bay where we were fishing yesterday. Gonna need a few more days beforre its safe again I.m.o. and nice work on the specs stabin.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:28 AM »

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2015, 12:09 PM »
Picked up full meijer bag of trash last nite b4 I left. There is a huge dumpster in the parking area that's empty. Let's try and fill er up !!  How hard is it to leave with what you came with.? 

Offline Mitchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Just left there, didn't see too much trash.   I also wouldn't advise going out there til we get another day or 2 of really cold weather.  It was 2 inches at best. 

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:05 PM »
last guy just got off the ice that was in the flip shanty. looked like fx100.
kept an eye on him in case he went thru being he went alone...

Offline Mitchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:24 PM »
good, i almost went and checked on him before I left.  That ice was starting to get pretty sketchy

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Hey guys finally posting after years of crawling here. Finally picked up a flasher and have the itch really bad to get out there. Ive only ever fished north gull and was wondering where to park on south gull. Heard along the road by bayview market, this still true? Hopefully getting out tonight or tomorrow night.
Hey, Welcome to "The Shanty"! As for now, parking east of the stairway, going down to the lake is allowed. I will not be fishing tonight; kinda bummed out, wanted to get some more specs.  Hey Stabin, were you fishing w/ the group that had that pull-over "Strike zone" shanty?

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:02 PM »
   Hey Stabin, were you fishing w/ the group that had that pull-over "Strike zone" shanty?

PM SENT.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2015, 07:14 AM »
Just looked at the Bay cam and wow there is no daredevils out there. Pretty dark and slushy looking.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:01 AM »
good, i almost went and checked on him before I left.  That ice was starting to get pretty sketchy
last guy just got off the ice that was in the flip shanty. looked like fx100.
kept an eye on him in case he went thru being he went alone...

That was me in the one man. Thanks for keeping an eye on me it is greatly appreciated.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:06 AM »
There is one guy out their now.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:59 AM »
2 guys now!   :o

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #57 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:18 AM »
That was me in the one man. Thanks for keeping an eye on me it is greatly appreciated.

no problem, was too rainy to be out fixing the wifes car and one year we sat here watching the cam and saw 2 people fall in just about where you were sitting but a little more towards the lake where the docks near the cam points at. they got out on their own, but you never know if 911 is needed.
that dark rotten looking ice is not some thing i would want to be on.

always a big relief when they get themselves out and quickly!!

i have fallen in and know what its like. instinct kicks in and you can get out fast. i use my elbows and back and get them on top of the ice and then swing my knees as fast and high as i can to grab the ice with one and then just roll away a few times. if the knee trick doesn't work, then i would swim kick as hard as i could to get higher out of the water so i could roll or walk backwards with my elbows. the float suit helps keep you higher in the water and makes it easy to get out or at least for me it did and i was only wearing the float coat that day. i forgot the bibs that one time and fished anyway.
cost me about 500$ that day in water damaged gear and a snapped wicked rod. rolled away from the rotted ice and looked in my hand and saw the reel and rod handle still in my hand. lost the mad rat jig too.
just saying, you probably will get out alive, but it still might cost you lots, so i don't push my luck as hard as i used to.

i heard 3 little ticks/click sounds. went like this, tick pause tick tick and i was underwater so fast there is nothing you can do.

if that was a shappell fx100 flip, did it leak a lot from the roofs and windows?

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:38 AM »
We have some very cold temps forecasted for this week. I am waiting until next weekend when I will feel a little bit better on the ice. Looks like single digit lows all week.  :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:07 AM »
no problem, was too rainy to be out fixing the wifes car and one year we sat here watching the cam and saw 2 people fall in just about where you were sitting but a little more towards the lake where the docks near the cam points at. they got out on their own, but you never know if 911 is needed.
that dark rotten looking ice is not some thing i would want to be on.

always a big relief when they get themselves out and quickly!!

i have fallen in and know what its like. instinct kicks in and you can get out fast. i use my elbows and back and get them on top of the ice and then swing my knees as fast and high as i can to grab the ice with one and then just roll away a few times. if the knee trick doesn't work, then i would swim kick as hard as i could to get higher out of the water so i could roll or walk backwards with my elbows. the float suit helps keep you higher in the water and makes it easy to get out or at least for me it did and i was only wearing the float coat that day. i forgot the bibs that one time and fished anyway.
cost me about 500$ that day in water damaged gear and a snapped wicked rod. rolled away from the rotted ice and looked in my hand and saw the reel and rod handle still in my hand. lost the mad rat jig too.
just saying, you probably will get out alive, but it still might cost you lots, so i don't push my luck as hard as i used to.

i heard 3 little ticks/click sounds. went like this, tick pause tick tick and i was underwater so fast there is nothing you can do.

if that was a shappell fx100 flip, did it leak a lot from the roofs and windows?

It was a Shappell 1.5 SP and I stayed fairly dry. The tent didn't leak to bad. I was running a lantern so it dried some. The biggest problem was when I flipped it up to make a move all the standing water on the ice would get scooped up by the tent and when I flipped it back it all poured into the plastic shell.

All the water on top was making the ice pop so I packed it in.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.