The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LOW Resort Reviews  (Read 7774 times)

Offline icetime15

• IceShanty Rookie
LOW Resort Reviews
« on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I know there's a good amount of people that are heading up to LOW soon, and it sounded like a lot of us were using different resorts.

Once we're done with our trips, we could use this thread to review the resort we went through to make it easier for those planning an upcoming trip.

I'm heading up tomorrow - can't wait!  :tipup:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LOW Resort Reviews
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Sounds like a good idea if handled right.

Which one are you using?

WS

Offline icetime15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Sounds like a good idea if handled right.

Which one are you using?

WS

Fred's Beds. First time using a sleeper service.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:41 PM »

Not familiar with them,
 hope they treat you right, good luck fishing!

WS

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2015, 12:53 PM »
I went through Sportsmans last year and was real happy with their service.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Heading up to LOTW for the first time at the end of this month. We are fishing with arnesen's. Staying in the cabins abs being transported out to the fish houses.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Going up at the end of February, out of Zippel Bay. Doing the shallow water (15 to 20ft) sleeper house with the deep water (30ft+) house for mid day. Never fished LOTW before so looking forward to it

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:42 AM »
I'm heading up this Thursday-Sunday and we'll be going out of Adrians.

Offline icetime15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Got back from my LOW trip. Here's my two cents on Fred's Beds:

We had four guys in a sleeper, which was as nice as one could expect. Since our party was within two hours away, Nels (the owner) was nice enough to let us get up there and settled by 11 AM on the day of arrival. The fishing was absolutely miserable. I've heard numerous reports from 10+ people, and the bite seemed to be extremely inconsistent, so I can't really hold that against this service in particular. Our party, which consisted of three guys who ice fish regularly, caught only 17 fish, and none were over 14".

Nels is a very nice guy and spent time with us talking about his business and other lakes he's fished on. One of our group was a little too far gone to run in for cigarettes, and Nels was perfectly happy to bring some out to him. He checked in on us once or twice a day, which was the perfect amount for us.

Collectively, this was our first experience in a sleeper cabin, and we had a bad taste in our mouth due to the poor fishing. If you're looking for a sleeper service and enjoy being in sleepers, I'd recommend using Fred's Beds. Next year, we'll most likely use a cabin & transport to day house service such as Slim's Resort.

Offline CommyPinko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:18 PM »
has anyone here ever used Dale Peterson Fish House Rentals LOTW?

Offline CommyPinko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Guess that answers my question.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Just saw your review icetime15, well done! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear the fishing was off, been there, done that.

Anyway, appreciate the time you took with the write up!

Next time!  ;)2

WS

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:33 AM »
A group if us went up there before Christmas and we used ken-mar-ke for lodging.  The fishing was terrible, but a 20"+ was caught everyday between 10 of us.  In the 3 days of fishing we didn't catch our limit adding all the days up.  The thing that bothered us the most was they would pick us up @ sundown, talk about pulling the rug from under us during prime time...... We fished red lake on the way there and back home and it was hopping, caught our limit in 2-3 hours both days.

Offline icetime15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:36 AM »
@ WS - thanks. Since you're so close, one of these days we should head out onto a metro lake.

@Tikkaman - At least when I was there (and times previously), never had any success near sunset, so you might not have missed out on much.

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:29 AM »
I'm heading up this Thursday-Sunday and we'll be going out of Adrians.

How was adrians?  Heading up there this weekend. 

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:41 PM »
I sent you a PM boinger. Overall, fishing was slow. 1 23" caught, didn't limit either day with 6 guys. Shack could have been nicer (heater issues, chair issues and no glass bulbs on the propane lights) but we made the most of it.

Offline BP_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:48 PM »
I went up New Years Day through Borderview for two days of fishing.  They had their houses 25 miles out past Pine Island.  Ride out and back sucked, fishing was Ok. Group of three caught 50 fish the first day, largest eye was 22", had a couple at 17 and a giant pout.  Slower the second day and mostly saugers.  Can't say enough about Borderview, we had a ground Blizzard the second day after getting six inches of snow the night before, we started late but they still plowed us out.  Heard many of the resorts stayed in.  Cabins are nice, great food at the lodge and our guide was very helpful.   Will book again for next years trip.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Heading for arnesens in the early morning on Sunday. Going to be spending mon-weds on the ice. Weather looks great, should b s blast. Report/review to follow.

Offline Russj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Can't speak for the fishing this year, but have had very good service from Cyrus in years past.  Good people.
"Fishing is for little kids and old people"

- my father

Offline jclaws

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:41 AM »
I have stayed in a sleeper house at sportsmans. It was good but a little more primitive than I liked. Stayed at cyrus last year and booked again this year. Cabins are great, staff was great and fishing was great. Sure is nice having a shower at the end of the day!

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Fished out of Arnesen's the 26-28. Fishing was pretty slow for the most part. There were 6 guys in our party and we managed to bring back 11, 16, 20 fish on the days we fished. Most of the fish were sauger with a few nice perch mixed in, couple walleye, and one northern. Size of fish was way down too. On our trip a 14" fish was something to celebrate. Biggest fish of the trip was a 22" walleye, our only slot fish. I think we had 3 pushing 16" and the rest were barely scrapping the 13" mark. Everything under that went back for us.

The guides out there ran a good operation. They have a lot of people to make happy and I feel like they did their best. Fishing was just slow that week, or so they tell us anyways. The first day we were our guides best producing house, which isnt saying much. We were also best producing on the last day.

Accommodations at the main lodge were very nice and clean. We were on the meal plan so we had a nice breakfast in the morning, shack lunch on the ice, and we had to make reservations for dinner each night. If you are not on the meal plan do not expect to get much service because you are a second class citizen to them. A beer at the lodge was $4 which i thought was kind of high, but not unreasonable. We stayed in a newly renovated trailer. So newly renovated that it was not yet completed, but no discount was offered. Once the trailer is finished it will be very nice.

Overall I just did no get the warm and fuzzies from this place. I didnt feel like people were overly nice and or polite. It seemed to me that this was a money making operation and they are just raking in the dough. Maybe I am thinking like that cause the fishing was not that good. If i were to plan a trip up there again I would probably look for another lodge. Just my 2 cents

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2015, 03:23 PM »
I'm making the trip up March 7 its been a dream of ours for years! We are staying with lion sleepers.
I just bought a marcum vs 485c but some one told me this weekend not to bring it the water is to dark is it really that bad for a new camera like that?
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:32 PM »
I'm making the trip up March 7 its been a dream of ours for years! We are staying with lion sleepers.
I just bought a marcum vs 485c but some one told me this weekend not to bring it the water is to dark is it really that bad for a new camera like that?

The water in the lake is pretty cloudy...

Go Beavers!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Unless this year is better, which I doubt, a camera normally isn't worth bringing.

WS

Offline icetime15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:15 AM »
Unless this year is better, which I doubt, a camera normally isn't worth bringing.

WS

It's definitely not. We tried it in early January and no dice.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:40 AM »
It's definitely not. We tried it in early January and no dice.

OK thanks guys, I'm glad I asked. We are held to a 60# equipment limit and now I can bring 2 30 packs ;D
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:25 PM »
Heading to Fred's Bed's Friday am till Sunday.

Been to Lyons Sleepers 2 times in last 6 years. They were full when we booked late this year or would have gone again. Always caught fish, nothing over 25" tho. Checked in once or twice a day, were great and friendly.

Freds is a little cheaper and they don't clean fish, no problem. Also, we drive out to Freds and have a truck right there which is nice. Also going to bring a generator this year.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:15 AM »
Sounds like a fun trip! Good luck and bring the camera!

WS

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Leaving for zippel bay tomorrow night hoping for some decent fishing on friday and saturday

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Good luck tia100 and bigstorm!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.