New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake  (Read 24178 times)

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Silver lake
« Reply #150 on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:25 PM »
both of those lake are huge compared to silver.

Offline Silverlakeslammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:37 PM »
they don't need to have a walleye stocking anymore. lake is full of em just have to know what they prefer! Or u smack em in the head w a lure haha its ether on or off w walleye bc of how healthy the lake is, I'm not opposed to adding more in silver but I do know their is 10 diff year classes of eyes and lots of em. Reproduction is in full swing at silver only gonna be better from now on after last summer of what I caught.

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Feb 12, 2015, 07:46 PM »
I'm wondering what lakes in wny don't have zebra mussels?  I know they are in all the finger lakes, silver, Cuba etc.  So are these lakes only able to support 8" perch?  A lake can only support so many perch before they start to become overpopulated and stunted.....iMO the problem is lack of pressure, so many better places to fish perch so not enough people keeping them...lake has an"over abundance" of walleye according to the last several Dec shocking and the pike population is always there so definitely not a lack of predators.  Keep more perch and the rest will grow.  You can never keep too many, the rest will only grow faster and larger!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Feb 13, 2015, 04:06 AM »
they don't need to have a walleye stocking anymore. lake is full of em just have to know what they prefer! Or u smack em in the head w a lure haha its ether on or off w walleye bc of how healthy the lake is, I'm not opposed to adding more in silver but I do know their is 10 diff year classes of eyes and lots of em. Reproduction is in full swing at silver only gonna be better from now on after last summer of what I caught.

There defiantly are young Eyes here. Found a few last summer.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Double shooter this was the first year I caught little ones constantly. Which is an awesome sign for future years bit def caught a good amount of keepers this year! And all fish would over 20 and fat!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Glad to see the walleyes are established in this lake, they should be able to reduce some of the smaller perch over the next few years.  One other thing I noticed this Winter was the keeper perch 8-10" I am catching do not spit up blood worms or fresh water shrimp as they used to years past, and when cleaning them their stomachs were empty.  Without sufficient feed for the perch they may grow slower even with the predators feeding on a lot of them.  Has anyone else seen this lack of food in the perch they have caught?

Perch Chacer

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Feb 13, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I don't believe zebra muscles will affect the perch in a bad way. Go fish erie deep water and watch the perch puke up zebras on the boat deck when you get them in. They will utilize the food source and eat them.
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Feb 14, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Hello can any body tell me if any body has taken a snowmo out on silver looking to leave st launch and do any oldtimers no of any springs on silver that a mobiler should be aware of  years ago found some thin spots down by golf course when you could park down there or has any body fished on west side by that red light house i will call it some of you guys might remember ray from macs.  Bait shop is he still around thank you for any info

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Feb 14, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Macs is still there diff owners now, last I knew they don't have any bait. And last time I was out wheelers and snowmobiles were all out on the lake.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #159 on: Feb 14, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Hello can any body tell me if any body has taken a snowmo out on silver looking to leave st launch and do any oldtimers no of any springs on silver that a mobiler should be aware of  years ago found some thin spots down by golf course when you could park down there or has any body fished on west side by that red light house i will call it some of you guys might remember ray from macs.  Bait shop is he still around thank you for any info

Sorry to have to tell you this, but the state launch is actually in a state park. it is not legal to operate a quad or snowmobile on park grounds to access the ice. What I've done in the past is top access the ice with a machine at Mac's. One guy brings the vehicle and trailer back to launch as the other brings the machine over. We drag our stuff down to the ice and load up on the ice.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Feb 14, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Worst spot I have ever found for springs is right in between the to spots you mentioned the the "red light house" and the Country Club.Just off Silver Grove.I haven't seen Ray in a couple of years but last I knew he was still around.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Feb 14, 2015, 10:21 PM »
Sorry to have to tell you this, but the state launch is actually in a state park. it is not legal to operate a quad or snowmobile on park grounds to access the ice.

This is true. In the past the State has placed road block saw horses at the State launch access with signs saying no snowmobiles and ATV's allowed, but they launch there anyhow and risk a fine every time they do,sign or no sign.

As for springs - there a some on the West side out in front of the Boys Camp red cottages just down from the Silver Lake Marina and on the East side near the area called the Pines which is across the lake from Traber Rd. I wwould stay at center of lake in these areas.  I remember during the last "Fish Trap" ice fishing tournament the officials went out on questionable ice to mark the lake ice and they broke through with two quads.

Springs are not the only dangers on this lake ice.  There is the inlet and outlets on the North end you must stay clear of.   There is a major creek that enters the lake on the South side of the Silver Lake Golf Course clubhouse.  There is a creek that enters the lake at Buffalo Point and one  just South of the State launch.

Stay safe and learn this lake.

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Feb 15, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Thanks for the info guys I have fished it at diff times over the years always on foot   thanks?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Mar 13, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Silver Lake use to always remain a front page topic but I found it on page 12 this time, what has happened to this nice small lake or aren't there any guys reporting?  I see the South end on the cam and there are some fishermen out there but I would like to know about the deep water, snow on ice and fishing reports if any.  Thanks

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Mar 13, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Silver Lake use to always remain a front page topic but I found it on page 12 this time, what has happened to this nice small lake or aren't there any guys reporting?  I see the South end on the cam and there are some fishermen out there but I would like to know about the deep water, snow on ice and fishing reports if any.  Thanks
I'm surprised there are any reports from any where this year. I'm a perch fisherman and this has been the worst year I have ever seen. All of the traditional hotspots have been horrible; Sodus, Irondiquoit , Braddocks, Cranberry and Long Ponds, all have been bad. It is weird to see so many different bodies of water be so bad for a whole season. The only exception has been Chautauqua over the last few weeks. I hope soft water brings better results.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #165 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:40 PM »
I fished the northend out of Standpipe today. 1 - 3" perch. 5 tipdowns, 2 bobber rods and jigging rod. Left after 1 1/2 hrs and went to Keuka.
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:25 PM »
they over fished it the last few years and put too much pressure on the lake

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #167 on: Mar 14, 2015, 07:55 AM »
I fished the northend out of Standpipe today. 1 - 3" perch. 5 tipdowns, 2 bobber rods and jigging rod. Left after 1 1/2 hrs and went to Keuka.
That was a long ride. How did you do on Keuka?
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #168 on: Mar 14, 2015, 12:04 PM »
That was a long ride. How did you do on Keuka?
He came over to fish with me for the lakers ,we caught 11, but we kept 8 between us.    Then we went to Canandaigua for perch, so yea he put some miles on.     Stopped At Monica's Pies for a few treats too.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
« Reply #169 on: Mar 14, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Jim will drive as long as it takes and shift gears in an instant for a hot bite....add pies or pizza.. he,s in.  Did the 100 yd dash in 6.5 on chatauqua when game hog had the record musky on
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:01 AM »
Jim will drive as long as it takes and shift gears in an instant for a hot bite....add pies or pizza.. he,s in.  Did the 100 yd dash in 6.5 on chatauqua when game hog had the record musky on

That was 200 yds ! And running in knee deep snow like that wiped me out .. don't get old ! Wait until you see this pie place .. Unreal !!
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:38 AM »
Lol I want to go fishing with you guys. Sounds like a blast

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Lol I want to go fishing with you guys. Sounds like a blast

Final tryout's for the team are next weekend. We put a tipdown 40 yds away from you and from the time of the strike, you're timed to see how fast you can get there, hook the fish, rebait the line and get it back down the hole. It's sort of like a Nascar pitstop. Strategy and proper placement of equipment all come into play. If Paulie likes what he see's, you're in .. If not, you still have a chance in phase 2 which is gaffing a big pike at the hole .. if you blow it and the fish gets away, you're out and it's back to fishing the Small Boat Harbor !! Good luck .. !

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Mar 15, 2015, 01:10 PM »
What time are tryouts? Do I get a few seconds off for making the "eagle"

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Mar 15, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I've been practicing sprints all morning

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:02 PM »
anyone been out lately? How is the ice? Any update would be greatly appreciated. thinking about going out some night this week!!. Any crappies????????????????????????????

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #176 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:08 AM »
I can agree with prchmike worst year for me ice fishing. Even got skunked on Chautauqua 2x. Hit my pond this sunday, and fish seemed repeled by jig with bait. Really weird, never saw that before. Not even a bite.

Offline windburn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • take your kids fishin'
« Reply #177 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Anyone fish north end lately? Thinking about looking for crappies this evening. Looking g for shoreline Ice report.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Just remember North end leaves first with the main creek inlet and outlet right there.  Shore ice may be good and even the outer ice maybe good but where the current under minds the ice from the inlet /outlet you have to be aware.  This can happen quite a ways out into the lake.

Offline windburn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • take your kids fishin'
« Reply #179 on: Mar 26, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply Chaser. We're done for the season. Time to get the boats ready. Don't like playing on "iffy" ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.