The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Electra Lazer auger  (Read 3112 times)

Offline hollywood369

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster Electra Lazer auger
« on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Just got one of these for Christmas and going to try out it out in a few days. Thought about exchanging it for an ION but not sure if it's worth the price difference. I also have an extra battery that I'll have charged up. Anyone with any experience with either or both augers? Also, reading around, seems like the battery life is hit or miss, anywhere from 5-20 holes per charge in ~12-20 inches of ice.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strikemaster Electra Lazer auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Haven't seen one yet, you know what the specs are.  Amp draw ?, auger speed ? Voltage on the battery ?
Bud

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:16 AM »
The electra lazer is the BEST electric auger on the market today. I just received and returned in 2 days the new 50 volt lithium ion, the battery life is horrible, overall construction is poor and it's a pain in the ass to remove the battery. Maybe had 4hours of life in cold weather.

I fished with an electra for 3 seasons before getting a gas auger, and the only regret was the electra is a 6inch auger not an 8; hence the second auger. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone wanting a perfect electric auger. You will not be upset. Also the lead battery is far superior to the lithium ion in charging an price difference. If you're worried about life, just get a second battery for 24.99, hell get four of them and drill for days

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:54 AM »
The thing about the Electra is in 25 years they are still going to be making batteries that will work in it.

Offline hollywood369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Not sure of the specs, I'll have to check the manual but works off a 12v battery like the ones used in a flasher. Good to hear. Still relatively new to ice fishing and probably not going to be using it too hard but good to hear a few good things. Thanks for the info.

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:47 PM »
12v lead sealed battery just like the flashers.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Quote= " and the only regret was the electra is a 6inch auger not an 8;"

I love my Electra, and it definitely comes in an 8" auger, I have one. And as stated, takes a regular flasher battery that lasts, plus you can hook it up to any other 12v battery- ATV, snowmobile, truck with the included jumper cord. Has worked for me for 4 seasons!

BIGJim223

Offline hollywood369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:30 PM »
can you get more than 10 holes with an 8" in like 12" of ice? My only real concern was regarding battery life.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 AM »
i have had 2 electra augers. the first one had a better battery in that the charge would last longer. i cut around 40 holes in 15" of ice with it and was still fairly strong.that one was ruined in a vehicle accident with mostly all my gear,except the battery.the second will hold a charge just a little less than the first.the most i cut last year in one day was around 30 in about 13" of ice and it was losing a little power.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2014, 11:52 AM »
I average 30-40 in 12" ice unless it is VERY cold. I have gotten over 50 holes in late 24" ice on a warm day. The last couple were a struggle, though. I honestly think I would buy the 6" auger for mine for most of my fishing, you would certainly get more holes with the 6". But I fish where there are a lot of large lake trout even in shallow water and it is tough to get a 7+ lb laker into a 6" hole most of the time with out getting your arm wet.

BIGJim223

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 PM »
I was just wondering how well this auger does in really cold weather.  What is the minimum temperature for it to work well.  I was thinking if I get one, I could use the mag 2000 for below zero days.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2014, 06:19 PM »
mine has worked down two -2f with no problems never had to warm the battery. not that cold in pa.

Offline GenooC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:55 PM »
i use an 8" Electra and i would recommend it.  The battery is the same as in my Marcum Showdown, so I can switch out batteries if i need to.  Even if the battery won't cut holes, it will run the finder for a couple of hours.  Mine also came with a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" plug that I can plug into the outlet on the quad.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:26 AM »
I'm actually liking this auger. I gave the father in law alot of crap when he bought it years ago. He passed away recently and I saw it hanging in the basement so I figured I would see if battery would hold a charge yet. I have been using this auger this season. Nice not have to mess with gas etc. Only thing I don't care for is the fact it likes to grab hard at bottom of hole. Have to feather it towards bottom when drilling. Just takes some getting used to. Also like the fact it came with regular wall charger, cigarette lighter charger and an alligator clip cord so you can use it off truck, atv or flasher battery if you need to. Just not sure if you can use it to open old holes with it?

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2014, 08:17 AM »
old holes gather debris dirt,sand,twigs,etc. which will dull or ruin your blades.better of cutting new holes or buying a chisel.just my opinion

Offline hollywood369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Just got done using it today for the first time. First auger but I thought it worked well. Still said full charge after ~12 holes in 4" of ice. Pretty warm today thought. I does catch a bit at the end but not terrible. Nice and light at ~28 lbs. Not sure if it's worth the extra money for an Ion. So far, so good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.