The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6" Lazer and 18v Dewalt test  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
6" Lazer and 18v Dewalt test
« on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Lazer hand auger, and when walking thru Fleet Farm, i saw a little Strikemaster brand adapter for a cordless drill. I bought it for cheap, and I decided to test it out today.

Result was 18 Holes in 9 and a half minutes through 16" of ice. Also, this is with a 18V dewalt XRP drill, but with a 4 year old NiCad battery that was fully charged. I wonder what it could have done with a newer battery..? Especially one with Lithium Ion..

I am gonna go to Home Depot tomorrow and buy a Ridgid Li-ion drill for cheap, since the Dewalt I used today doesnt belong to me. Anybody got any experience with this setup, or have anything to tell me?

Here's a pic. Enjoy! CI

Go Beavers!

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
Re: 6" Lazer and 18v Dewalt test
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:55 AM »
your picture says it all. I believe you have answered your own question. Just get a drill.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Well, i went out today and bought a Ridgid 18v Li-ion Fuego drill. It came with 2 batteries, charger, and bag for $159 before tax.

The end result was 27 1/2 holes in 16" of ice. Thats 400+ inches!  The thing that blew my mind was that until the last hole, I did not see a decrease in speed or power. Also, with the built in battery gauge, I have a way to gauge the amount of holes I have left. Here is a picture of what it did for me today. Thanks, CI

Go Beavers!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:47 PM »
What size holes are you drilling??

Duh, the title says 6".  Never mind.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:53 PM »
2nd thread today about the drill modification, nice pics, just curious if the lithium will last all day in the cold.
Your test showed the an impressive statistic, just curious if that could be 27 holes over the course of a 20 degree day?
if so that is awesome, especially sense then you could keep a charged spare in your coat for later!
How much was the adapter?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Rigid 18v Hammer drill w/3mah battery gets about 40 holes per battery using 6" auger.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2014, 04:38 PM »
2 questions Baitbucket.

1) Whats the pool noodle for?

2) Is that a homemade extension?

I was looking at down the road picking up a 4 Amp/hr battery, because then this would give me, in theory,  72 holes. Who knows...

Go Beavers!

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Nice setup guys! I would definately use that extra handle on the drill.
Fishin red lines

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Nice setup guys! I would definately use that extra handle on the drill.

I think it makes a huge difference! and with that round plastic plate on my auger, I can set the drill like a bipod on the bottom of the battery/ on the handle and it keeps the main part of the drill and plastic plate off the ice.

Go Beavers!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Also lots of fun hitting the reverse and blowing all the slush and water far and wide away from hole.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Also lots of fun hitting the reverse and blowing all the slush and water far and wide away from hole.

That has the chance to loosen the chuck and drop your drill though. Trust me I know from experience  :-\

Go Beavers!

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I used my 8inch hand auger with a porter cable 20v and it was dead after 12holes. Granted these are the low profile quick charging batteries so this is MY fault for trying. However i used my buddies milwaukee 18v hammer drill and it damn near broke my wrist it tore through the ice so fast. Definitely recommend using two hands with this one!

We used the 6inch and 8inch models, never even fired up the gas augers, boy oh boy, these drill augers are sweet!

We ran atleast 50+ holes over the course of the entire day and the milwaukee NEVER went below the 2nd bar on the battery level. We left the drill on the quad, in the sled, on the ice, never seemed to affect it. it was 22 degrees without the wind chill sunday in cadillac, and we never had a battery issue.

Offline Gundy7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:45 AM »
This thread is awesome.  I have an 8" hand auger that I like to take with me cause it is so much lighter than my gas auger but I take a drill anyway to spin in my ice anchors for my shelter.  I want to start taking my kids with me and I was contemplating getting a 6" auger because I know my kids are going to step in a hole and drop in to their waste on one leg and a 6" hole is just a little easier not to fall into.
Where is the best place to get an adapter and does it take a special kind of Auger to fit the adapter?  I found a "nimrod ice auger adapter" on amazon for $28.99.  There are several adapters on amazon for about the same price point.  There are not any customer reviews though so I'm just wondering what people are using and where they get the adapter.
I'm probably going to order one and see if it will work with my 8" strikemaster auger and then branch out from there. Thanks Clear_ice for the awesome post!

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2014, 01:33 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Master-Auger-Conversion-Kit/dp/B000CCZ3F8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419967940&sr=8-4&keywords=ice+auger+drill+adapter

That is the one I use. I really like it because the elastic security band and plate prevents the auger from falling through the hole should the chuck losen when you're going in reverse or something.

I used the 6inch and 8inch strikemaster lazer auger and it absolutely blows through the ice.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2014, 01:57 PM »
I personally used the Strikemaster brand electric drill adapter from Mills Fleet Farm. It has been good to me so far.

With my Li-ion batteries, I used it in 4 below yesterday and it didnt seem to make too much of a difference with a warm battery. I did leave one of the batteries out though in the cold for over an hour and tried using it, and it did not work well for me. About a hole and a half with a fully charge battery that was left in below freezing. I guess that it isnt too hard to leave it in a soft-sided cooler or in my jacket pocket though, so I will just be doing that.

Go Beavers!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Also Gundy, I dont think that with a 8" auger you could cut as many holes. There is a much larger amount of surface area for an 8" drill compared to a 6" drill.

Go Beavers!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:03 PM »

last year with my nills 6" with  a Dewalt 20v lithium 25 holes in 18" of ice with power to spare ,but not repeated holes that close , holes were a few feet apart as one would normally fish 

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:25 PM »
last year with my nills 6" with  a Dewalt 20v lithium 25 holes in 18" of ice with power to spare ,but not repeated holes that close , holes were a few feet apart as one would normally fish

Sounds kind of consistent with what I got with my setup too then

Go Beavers!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I have that same rigid hammer drill.  Looks like you're using the 2Ah battteries.  I have both 2 and 4Ah batteries.....crazy it can do that many with only 2Ah batteries!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:25 PM »
I have that same rigid hammer drill.  Looks like you're using the 2Ah battteries.  I have both 2 and 4Ah batteries.....crazy it can do that many with only 2Ah batteries!

If i remember right, it is $119 dollars for a 4ah battery.. so unless I need to cut through more than 800 inches of ice in one day, i probably wont be buying one so far haha

Go Beavers!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:01 PM »
If you buy the hammer drill and impact gun combo, it comes with two 4Ah batteries.  I also have a 2Ah battery that I normally use with the impacter to take advantage of the lighter weight. 

Those 2Ah batteries are impressive!

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:07 PM »
I just got the clam conversion plate for my 6" laser. Now if I can only get some ice to test it out on :(
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Nice test. I need to get out and do a test on the Makita versus the Milwaukee. Very curious to see how many holes on one battery.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2014, 12:58 PM »
If i could have, I would have loved to purchase a nice Dewalt 20v drill, but unfortunately the money pouch wouldnt have liked that. I've been raised on Dewalt, so I am pretty biased there, but I figured that for $159 and with the lifetime service agreement, I would give ridgid a try. So far, I have been very impressed with it!

I have just been fishing out of my one man portable behind my truck. I just leave my setup in the front seat with me so it stays warm. I get to a spot, pull the little thing out, drill my holes, flip and fish! It's simple, lightweight, and it has been nice and clean in the cab of my pickup. Overall, very happy with the setup!

Go Beavers!

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Thats the thing if you dont already have the drill then it doesnt make much sense in my opinion. You can get the electra lazer for 350, no sense in buying a drill for 280 or whatever

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Thats the thing if you dont already have the drill then it doesnt make much sense in my opinion. You can get the electra lazer for 350, no sense in buying a drill for 280 or whatever

I have used an Electra laser many times before. It is heavy, bulky, and the battery life is not too good on it. I guess these are the opinions I got from using it, and all of the things I didn't like about the laser are solved with my current setup

To each there own though. Also, I wanted the drill for other purposes as well, so this helped me decide on this setup

Go Beavers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.