Author Topic: early ice safety  (Read 363 times)

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
early ice safety
« on: Dec 21, 2014, 03:02 PM »
yes we all want to walk on ice-but a few precautions make all the difference between a successful trip; and a bath in the extreme icebucket challenge of falling through.-
Firstly-don't automatically walk onto earlyice at the launch. Look around for areas that are shaded most of the day w/ the least sun exposure to walk on.
Also stay away from current channels+bottlenecks during early ice-these areas freeze last.
Small, shallower ponds freeze first-and most uniformly.
spud often - and have those blaze orange handle-spikes on a cord around your neck : if you do fall in they make it easy to pull yourself out.
-If the ice feels as if it is moving up+ down w/ the water like liquid-it is. and a certain feel-you'll know it if you're on it-get off it. Don't be a hero+ fish a day on 2" ice because it "seems" safe-wait for 3-4" solid-bring a measure tape to make sure.
And if you do fall in- don't panic; get yourself back up- assess your immediate situation and pull yourself out-
But we hope no one has to experience that so be safe+ enjoy it!-Any other tips+ safety precautions would be very welcomed to try and make this a comprehensive post on ice fishing safety for all.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: early ice safety
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:26 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I have always thought this video is very informative for if you should be unlucky enough to fall through. I'm a pretty light young guy at 170lbs and 21 years old but I know my limits and know how to read the ice. I've been on ice since I was 5. If I know the pond and it's black ice I'll fish on 2" and feel comfortable. But that's just me. I also like to drill a serious of perimeter holes to mark my "safe zone". As long as I don't go past those I know how thick the ice is and that I shouldn't go through. But like stated. Always try to fish with a buddy. If you're alone always have picks, some sort of rope and a change of clothes in the truck is never a bad idea.

Be safe out there everyone. Use your heads, be aware, stay dry, but most importantly. Have fun and tight lines!
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: early ice safety
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:55 PM »
And it's not just your weight its you and your gears weight. Here's another video cause these guys are awesome and great fishermen
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.