Author Topic: fish finder  (Read 651 times)

Offline cticedog

• IceShanty Rookie
fish finder
« on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Looking to purchase a fish finder any suggestions.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish finder
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:36 PM »
If you are asking about a flasher for the ice, I have a hummingbird ice-35 and I think it works great, I also have a velxer that is older think it's the FL-8 and that does a good job too. I would suggest both!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:53 PM »
I have a humminbird 597 I use on ice and the kayak. Duel purpose. I also have an older FL8 that gets the job done.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Vex...Humingbird  Humingbird...Vex. Its a Ford vs Chevy type of debate. I love my Vex FL18, bottom line is either one will put more fish on the ice for you, try them both, it boils down to what clicks for you.

Hawk

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Personally, I'm a Marcum guy. I bet that's helpful, now you have at least three different recommendations. LOL

In addition to any suggestions you receive here I suggest searching the Equipment Board, there's a bunch of identical discussions.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=32.0

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Forgot to mention, try one before buying if possible. Hopefully we get ice statewide soon. Some guys like a traditional flasher, others graphs. Find what makes sense to you.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:22 PM »
I dont think it much matters unless you are going to fish more than a hundred feet deep or real close to to other sonar units  then you may need all features of a real pricey unit  but other than that flasher  graph with a fast refresh rate  or a showdown  you get used to whatever unit you buy it just a short time  they will all do the job I have used all three styles and if I had to pick only one it would be a genz pack FL-8 its affordable I used it in the kayak  as well as ice very durable  in fact tougher than nails and I have fished it 3 straight days on a single charge

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Love my Showdown duel beam...fish often in 50' of water and IMO for the price it's the best and easiest to read.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Truly, it's what flasher/finder suits YOU best. For me, I like to move a lot and prefer to see more on the screen rather than just some colors on a circle. So given that and the fact that I wanted a fish finder for my kayak I bought a Lowrance Elite 4X. Although I haven't experienced using any other flasher besides once I tried a hummingbird 45 I think it was, I don't think I'd ever return mine for a different one. The price was great for it ($250), you can use it both open and hard water you just need to switch transducer, battery life is great I use mine for a weekend and it still has about a 1/3 left but I would charge it after every use that way the transducer reads strong. It's small and you can buy the "ice machine" which is basically a carry case to use on the ice but I also use it in the kayak since it's simpler than drilling holes in my kayak. And I think my favorite features is that there are so many settings on the finder that you can use. Check out their website they still might have a demo mode for it that you can download on your computer to see what it's like. I would say come with me sometime and I'll show you how it runs buttttttt..... :-\ no ice........ At first I was going to buy the ice troller by marcum because it was the cheapest and me being 17 I don't have a lot of money but then after seeing how tiny the screen was I saved up and got the Lowrance even though it's not that huge of a screen but it's perfect size for me. In the end, they all do the same job and I don't know how I grew up fishing without one because they're so helpful but no matter which you buy it's worth the money!
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline fish on ron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beaver Dam--Strikemaster--Frabill
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2014, 02:53 PM »
Marcum vx-1 pro, $299. With same features as the "others" $500. Units. I was all in for a Vexilar. Do the research, after I did there was no  comparison for the $$.
Massachusetts Beach Buggy Assoc. #2180
Massachusetts Snomobile Assoc.
Agawam Bowmen's Club

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.