Author Topic: Cold lake  (Read 7094 times)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cold lake
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:53 PM »
              Snowfall warning for Cold Lake right now it looks like.  Hope maybe that some of the local guys can keep the conditions updated.  Had a blast there on my virgin trip.  Only ended up landing a handful but I'm hooked.  Determined to make another trip up in March.

Offline pikehunter1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Things should still be fine. We got a couple inches of snow this week but should still be pretty easy going with 4x4

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Thanks for the update pikehunter.  Heading up that way again in a couple weeks hope the conditions hold out

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2015, 09:52 PM »
I'm heading Cold Lake way and was wondering if anyone could update me on the ice conditions.

Any tricks and tips are always appreciated as well, hope the fourth time out is better than the first three. Lol.

Good fishin'!

“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline pikehunter1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:07 PM »
Not to bad getting around. Some decent snow drifts but keep it in 4x4 and it's pretty easy getting around. Was out yesterday and managed 3 lost a couple and missed a few. Today was very slow and lost 1 and missed a few. 100 ft of water I find best early morning than they go shallow like 40-50 ft or deeper to 130-150 ft. White or glow tube jigs or bucktails with a chunk of smelt or a anchovie. Dead stick I run sitting right on bottom with a big smelt or anchovie. Good luck!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2015, 11:31 PM »
Not to bad getting around. Some decent snow drifts but keep it in 4x4 and it's pretty easy getting around. Was out yesterday and managed 3 lost a couple and missed a few. Today was very slow and lost 1 and missed a few. 100 ft of water I find best early morning than they go shallow like 40-50 ft or deeper to 130-150 ft. White or glow tube jigs or bucktails with a chunk of smelt or a anchovie. Dead stick I run sitting right on bottom with a big smelt or anchovie. Good luck!

Thanks for the info Pikehunter 1989, good luck out there!

Nothing so far and we've been her since 4am. Ahhh!

Good fishin!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Thanks for the info Pikehunter 1989, good luck out there!

Nothing so far and we've been here since 4am. Ahhh!

Good fishin!

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:06 PM »
     Fished Sarturday and Sunday.  Between three guys landed 17 lakers two keepers just over.  Fished a bit of a hump both days and Saturday they were closer to the top in 95' and Sunday seemed to have better results off the shoulders in around 120'.  Lots of good ice yet auger almost bottomed out.  Surface was a mixture of old snow drifts and a lot of glare ice would recommend some ice cleats.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Nice.

I was taken out.....on my last trip by a flu/migraines.

No one was really reporting much.

Glad your trip turned out alright!

Good fishin!

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Going  friday March 20 for a 3 day trip,going to be last hard water trip for me . Anyone else going this weekend.
Heard the snow was all melted off and no water on top.
Good luck to everyone and be safe !
JR / Homewreaker
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Had a great  time on cold lake ,fished steady for 3 days . averaged 5 fish a day . Caught no keepers until the last minute.
Just folded the tent up and placed everything in the sled ,just had to grab the rod that was still in the hole  then back to Edmonton.
 I garbed it and a laker was on  it ...... AND IT WAS 75 cm.......I lucked out !

Ice was hard  ,50% covered with snow . looks like they had top flood water first 300 feet from shore the week before ,but was froze this weekend.

Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:05 PM »
            To bad about the trip ryanlfp sucks when that happens.  Glad you had a good trip Homewrecker and thanks for the report.

Thought of maybe making one more trip here this weekend but I better take the boy out somewhere closer to home.  Sure enjoyed the couple trips to Cold lake this year and plan to head up a least a couple times next year.  Can't wait!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.