The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Speed  (Read 9535 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger Speed
« Reply #60 on: Dec 22, 2014, 01:51 PM »
I think the point is fine.  The paint is barely worn away from it.  There is a slight wobble, like it is a little off balance.  I thought maybe the drill isn't perfectly aligned with the shaft.

Offline icefisher4451

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:32 PM »
you might try sharpening your bits.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:36 PM »
I'll add my input after reading through this whole thread. I am not an expert on auger bits, but mine was bent, and I got mine fairly straight with a mallet and a concrete floor. It still wobbles slightly, but It can easily get through 1" of ice a second. My auger is an old strikemaster mag 3 with an 8" chipper auger. You would really notice if your auger was bent enough to cause major issues. Taking nearly a minute and a half is a major issue. Even a relatively "slow" auger should do it in under 30 seconds. Chipper blades are not as vulnerable to being dull. Even dull, they will cut a hole. What is huge is the angle they cut at, and I think that is your problem. I don't know how long you have had the auger, but if you just got it, it is possible someone used to slam the auger on the ice, or push down a lot when cutting. That can change the angle of the blade. You can use strips of aluminum can to shim the blade at a more aggressive angle. I would start with 2 layers, and see if it improves. If it does, keep adding until it will cut a hole in under 30 seconds with next to no pushing down on the auger. If you have to add too many, you may have to take the bit to a professional. Someone had this happen to them recently, maybe you can still find that thread.
-Tom

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:05 PM »
If someone has a link to that thread, please post it.  I am thinking if i shim the whole area, the angle won't change.  I will have to either shim the back or front side of the blade, depending on whether the angle should go in or out.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I think you mentioned your blade is bolted on top of the auger. In that case you shim behind the bolts to angle the blade downward.
-Tom

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Okay, thanks. I will try to shim it on the back.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:28 PM »
I didn't read all the replies, I sharpen all sorts of blades for others, ripper blades are not as critical as straight edge ones.  If the angle is proper for the speed it should cut at a rate of at least just under 1 inch per second.  I am now using a K-Drill, that the blades are mounted on a cast iron head, pretty hard to have it banged on ice and change angle. Its my understanding the turning speed of my drill is about 550 rmp.  Ive noticed if I start drilling same time as most gas augers, I can cut two holes to their one.
Bud

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:54 PM »
Wyo, there may just be a bit of info here that will help.   

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=26388.msg243906#msg243906

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 23, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Thanks Idaho

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #69 on: Dec 23, 2014, 12:17 AM »
You very welcome. I'm still searching....

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I have a Mag 2000 chipper from 1992 or so-   Yeah it turned kinda slow so I modified the governor. Actually I removed the governor.   ;D

Thing spins like a raped ape now!  Did that prolly in 2000, and it still runs just fine.

Learned that trick riding mini-bikes back in the day-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 23, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Awful, awful, slow...my 'Mo did 18" in about 14 secs in a race with my cousin's 'Mo. That's with razor sharp blades.....time to sharpen those blades/point?  ???

Wow Rebel that is fast.  I am fishing today want to come over and show me how fast you can auger a hole. ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Slayerfish, I know that it runs a little slow.  I think all of the older ones run like that.  The problem is that the blade pitch is off.  It just spins around unless I put a lot of weight and pressure on it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #73 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Wow Rebel that is fast.  I am fishing today want to come over and show me how fast you can auger a hole. ;D

Time the video. His was faster. I gotta put headers on mine.   :o  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #74 on: Dec 23, 2014, 03:58 PM »
   Get you some tapered shims or build some. With a wedged shape shim you should be able to adjust the angle accordingly if your bit is off. Weeeeeeeeee hole age! ;D

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Aha!!! Blade or tip problems...

X2

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Okay, I built the wood thing I was talking about, put the drill unit in and spun it around.  The shaft is slightly bent, only about 1/8"-3/32".  Apparently enough to give me problems.  I Am now in the process of trying to straighten it.  I also may need to adjust the pitch with a big adjustable wrench.  I called H2Outfitters today, to see if I could send it in for repair.  Interesting, the guy told me that they can only repair the lazer drill units.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Bent that little will not cause the issues described. It has to do with your blade or point. Probably bent from applied pressure which also bent the blade angle.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #78 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Could it have something to do with the shaft or blades bent?
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 24, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Well, I straightened the shaft, which eliminated the wobble.  I shimmed it with a pop can and tried it out this morning.  It still won't cut worth a damn.  In fact, it won't cut at all unless I give it pressure.  I will try shimming it somemore.  If that doesn't work, I Am going to have to buy a new drill unit.  This "free" auger is going to end up costing almost as much as a new one, with no warranty.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 24, 2014, 12:32 PM »
I forgot to add that after looking at the old blade again, it looks like the previous owner used it to drill fence post holes. ???

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Dec 24, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I forgot to add that after looking at the old blade again, it looks like the previous owner used it to drill fence post holes. ???
If that is true then I am sure the blade is shot.
<===Lefty===

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:24 PM »
The blade is shot Lefty.  There are gouges and teeth missing between the round slots.  I have a brand new blade on it.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:31 PM »
If you can't get it working I would find a used 8inch Mora hand auger and adapt that...

<°)))>{

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:43 PM »
I have an 8" Mora hand auger that I use for backup and for thinner ice.  I don't think it will fit without modification.  Plus, I don't think it will handle the torque.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Dec 24, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Almost guarantee you the blade mount which dictates the angle of cut is bent if someone used it to drill dirt. Shop for a replacement lazer bit if the motor runs good. If not then sell the powerhead and wipe your hands of it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 24, 2014, 03:04 PM »
 l like the powerhead on it Kevin, because it is the old Tecumseh and you can't get them anymore.  I think I would rather put a chipper drill on it.  The lazers cut better, but seem to get dull easier and require more maintenance.

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 24, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Sounds like a new Lazer drill is the way to go. Even with the slower mag 2000 powerhead a lazer drill will rip the ice up crazy fast. D-rock here in MN sells them about as cheap as you are ever going to find.

http://www.drockicecenter.com/drill-units/

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:30 PM »
I think I am going to go with the chipper, mathews.  some of these western lakes get awfully windblown with a lot of sand and dust.  Next year, I may get the electra lazer.  Then I will have both.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:09 AM »
That is the point I was trying to me make already, just buy a new one........kinda tough to find deals now though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.