Author Topic: clam or frabill  (Read 1776 times)

Offline rip-n-lips86

• IceShanty Rookie
clam or frabill
« on: Dec 20, 2014, 01:23 PM »
The wife is letting me get a new 2 man for Christmas! i found a clam tundra and a frabill trekker dlx thermal close to home in stock. given the choice what one would you choose?

Offline PTOjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: clam or frabill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Pretty fond of the Tundra..we have one set up in the shop and it sure gives ya plenty of fishing room and is a nice upgrade from the Nanook model for about fifty bucks more.

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:38 PM »
I want a trekker max....like the idea of the storage in sled.  I wouldnt spend the extra for a thermal myself but hey....if shes buying.... ;D
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I have a trekker thermal dlx & absolutely love it frabill is the way to go its a much better product & the windows are removable
FISH ON!🎣

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:07 PM »
ever consider an otter?

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:25 PM »
The Dlx is a nice shanty , going on our third year being pulled with tow bar on 4wheeler most of the time . I like the fully insulated fabric

Offline rip-n-lips86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Pretty fond of the Tundra..we have one set up in the shop and it sure gives ya plenty of fishing room and is a nice upgrade from the Nanook model for about fifty bucks more.

yeah i like the tundra alot mainly for the room it has. the one thing i dont like is the seats in it, i would have to upgrade the seats right off the bat if i got that .

I want a trekker max....like the idea of the storage in sled.  I wouldnt spend the extra for a thermal myself but hey....if shes buying.... ;D

i have looked at the max and honestly it felt cheap,not the shack itself but the whole storage area. the idea is great, but i think it was executed wrong. i would do the mods myself and probably come up with something i like better and that would last longer.

I have a trekker thermal dlx & absolutely love it frabill is the way to go its a much better product & the windows are removable

i am thinking this will be the way to go. it is only another 50$ more then the tundra and the seats are alot nicer and the thermal is going to be very nice i would think.

ever consider an otter?

i have but they are very expensive, and there is not anywhere close to me that stocks them that i know of. so it would have to be shipped to me and that adds another 100 to 150 to the cost of an already expensive shack.

Thanks for the info everybody!

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:08 AM »
is i was going to get a frabill trekker this would be the one i got for sure  Frabill Bro Pro Thermal Trekker DLX Flip-Over Shelter
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/791303_L1?$highres3$

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:46 AM »
is i was going to get a frabill trekker this would be the one i got for sure  Frabill Bro Pro Thermal Trekker DLX Flip-Over Shelter
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/791303_L1?$highres3$
$725? Id have to spring for the Otter myself

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:47 AM »
I would go with the Frabill.

The seats are much more comfortable.

I have the Thermal.  You really don't need it for the warmth, but it is great in reducing the sound made when the fabric whips and snaps from the wind.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I own a frabill ambush dlx thermal. Awesome shanty. Just purchased a clam Kenai pro.wanted a frabill commando but the clam feels like it will be a little easier to fish in being wider.if I were to buy one of the 2, I would go with the trekker.frabill quality is nice

Offline rip-n-lips86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Going with the frabill. The thermal and seating was what pretty much made up my mind. That and the fact most of you said to go with the frabill haha. Again thanks everybody

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Otters aren't really all that expensive. The XT650 line is only about 50 dollars more than the Clam and Frabill comparable models. My XT650 cabin was 650 dollars. The Clam Yukon thermal cap is around 580 dollars and the same size. Otters are top quality and well worth the extra couple dollars. I'd look at the Cottage model if I were you.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:51 PM »
frabill = better made from my experiences look at the hinge that opens and close the flip shanty that will tell you weather to buy it or not..   frabill uses a solid steel poles clam aluminum the frabills maybe heavier  but there is a reason it is like reels being made like a tanks there is reason for it.  there not going to break very easily.... plus simplicity of design the better made on are built like tanks and use a simple design... juts like my frabill recon... 

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Going with the frabill. The thermal and seating was what pretty much made up my mind. That and the fact most of you said to go with the frabill haha. Again thanks everybody

You won't be disappointed.

Offline rip-n-lips86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Otters aren't really all that expensive. The XT650 line is only about 50 dollars more than the Clam and Frabill comparable models. My XT650 cabin was 650 dollars. The Clam Yukon thermal cap is around 580 dollars and the same size. Otters are top quality and well worth the extra couple dollars. I'd look at the Cottage model if I were you.

I would be more willing to spend the extra on an otter or higher end frabill, clam ect. if I lived farther north where there is good solid ice every year. To spend so much on something I use on a good year 4 months a year and some years maybe not at all is a hard pill to swallow for me. Don't get me wrong I would love a top of the line shack but the wallet and wife say different!

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:22 AM »
No ice I don't buy any equipment

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.