The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: line for inline reels  (Read 4241 times)

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
line for inline reels
« on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 AM »
just picked up 3 eagle claw inline reels, going to rig them up with 4lb, 8lb, and 12lb line for different fish species! what do you guys like to use for line and why?
Never Give Up!

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: line for inline reels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2014, 01:59 AM »
Deep water fishing such as Lakers, whitefish, Smallmouths , 30-150 feet water I prefer a ice braid product .

Reason = no stretch for hook set + sensitivity is so much better .
I do use 6-12 ft of a quality fluorocarbon mono product atached to braid for deeper water fishing

For less than 30 feet of water fishing such as crappie, white perch, Brookies, Salmon .  I prefer just fluorocarbon.

Reason = fish can't see , plus very little stretch with Floro versus Mono again better sensitivity and hook sets

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:36 AM »
You will really like those reels once you catch a few fish on them . Drag is super smooth and the free spool works great for deep water applications when sitting on a school of aggressively feeding Lakers ;)

Only thing that could be better is having more than 5 lbs of drag .
But using a  quality longer med to med light rod will give another tool that assist the reels drag , meaning the constant bend in a 30-36 in rod will assist the reels drag giving you more like a total of 10 lbs of drag set .

Also when putting braid on reel , it's really slick so I tie to reel using polamer  knot , tighten down on reel but don't clip tag end tight to knot on reel leave 1/4 tag , then put two to three 1/2 hitch line circles on reel and tighten , pull extra hard ensuring the knots and half hitch seat properly, then reel the rest of line on reel !

Hope this helps

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:29 AM »
just picked up 3 eagle claw inline reels, going to rig them up with 4lb, 8lb, and 12lb line for different fish species! what do you guys like to use for line and why?
4,6,8 lb test works great on these reels  but with 12 you will not get much line on it. Like around 75yds maybe. You cant fill these reels too full as the line will get wrapped up around the outside of the reel.  :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Ice braid and Fluro leader

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, Ive used Berkley fireline for my deep water set ups and Berkley vanish for floro in the past with good results. Any one else have experience with these particular brands or are their better lines out their?
Never Give Up!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:38 PM »
SEGAR is the way to go braided line will tangle fast and fray easy.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, Ive used Berkley fireline for my deep water set ups and Berkley vanish for floro in the past with good results. Any one else have experience with these particular brands or are their better lines out their?
Berkley Vanish floro is what I have on all my reels  even deep water and it works really well.
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2014, 03:28 AM »
X2 Berkeley Floro vanish, as for braids I have used them all bionic ice, suffix ice, power pro ice , they all work great. Very slick compared to the older braids and don't absorb water like the older stuff due to special coating for cold water fishing.
If I had to chose one it would be the suffix ice , due to to bright orange or green color, it helps you see and detect the smallest of bites while jigging
But I wish they made the stuff in 100 yrd packaging instead of 50-75 yrds
If you want to have 100 yrds or more power pro is the way to go !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.