The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: First post for this newbie! I have questions?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline mick78

• IceShanty Rookie
First post for this newbie! I have questions?
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Hello to everyone! I'm new on here and new to ice fishing. I just started purchasing some ice fishing equipment and look forward to going out. The only experience I've had with ice fishing so far was going out with my uncle a few times up north.

I'm looking for good spots to fish around here. I'm from Westland. The only fishing I've been doing is during  the summer on my boat out on Lake Erie out of Sterling State Park. I am looking for good ice fishing spots, new places to experience. Any suggestions, tips, advice, from anyone is welcome.

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: First post for this newbie! I have questions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Welcome!  I don't fish over by you. I'm sure there are some members who can give you some good tips in your area.  Have fun this season and be safe. 

Offline mick78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:21 AM »
thank u and im so glad i found this site

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:40 AM »
thank u and im so glad i found this site
welcome to the site. The most important initial investments should be picks, a spud bar, and a flotation suit. For those that don't know how to use a spud, you can search
 "Spud bar" on here and get alot of info on here. Lots of people willing to give knowledge, however specific lakes/spots: you'd have a better chance of getting them to let you pull one of their teeth!😉

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:23 PM »
welcome!

thinking most are tight lipped about great spots to fish on an open forum in fear it won't be a great spot when every one is there and their family and friends putting pressure on the fish. then they will asking where are the great spots too.
some won't even say what lakes/waters they fish for that reason.

i fish maynard and brace and staurt and lyon lakes in calhoun. and diamond lake just south of cadillac.
thats all i have for ya.
if you get around this area, thats where i am and we can fish together if you care to.

gear is another story.
i would say watch you tube videos on how to get out and how to help some one get out of broken ice. i don't carry picks because they would only slow me down fumbling to try to get them in my hands when i can get out much faster w/o them. i know, i have had to practice the hard way, but i had watched videos on how to get out. i use the elbow walk on my back and kick my knees as high and fast upwards as i can to get a knee on ice (or kick as if my life depends upon it) and then simply roll a few times towards shore and stand up. its so fast, the folks that watched me fall in couldn't even set their gear down to try to help. also, the float suit coat only popped me up like a pace of toast. forgot to bring the bibs and was a 50 degree day. that day i had artic armor ice suit (coat only) on. saved my life and knowing how to get out quick may have saved other from falling in to try to help me  if i didn't know how to help my self.
a rope is needed to help some one else out so you don't get close to the broken/weakened ice and become a victim too.
get a floating ice fishing suit!!

a sled is another good thing to keep your gear far behind on ice thats bad or getting bad. then you don't loose the gear inside it. change the rope to a much longer one. i step inside my rope so i have both hands in front of me in case i need them like a slip on ice to catch my fall. it also makes you not as heavy on the ice.

then you need comfort or you won't last long. such as warm clothes, boots, chair, heater, shanty, food, drinks, tunes, hand warmers, ect.

then you need decent gear that you don't have to keep replacing because it breaks or is a fast fading trend or isn't the right gear for the right fish targeted. or just isn't right for you.

then you want to be better at it, so electronics come into play and fine tuning the gear for your needs.

this place has probably every thing you can ask on it already, but then its not a personal conversation, so questions get asked over and over and most will answer over and over. some times new info is offered when asking again from say last years same question, so asking again isn't always a bad thing.

check sketchy ice often. i use my hand after drilling a hole and try to pinch the ice sheet. i want it to be a handful or close to it and solid. i also mark my ice scoops to use for measuring ice and fish.
try to mark drain holes in your mind so when the snow has them covered, you know where they were. try to watch the ice form and when it melts, to see the spots that come and go first. hearing thunder ice is a good thing because its ice making more ice.
let others know where you are. try to fish with others. put your cell in a water tight bag so if you fall in you can use it to get help in worst case. also, keeps you from getting it swapped out from water damage, i know first hand.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Sterling State Park is also good for ice fishing. Also Brest Bay, Stony Point are good for Perch and Walleye. I have fished the channel at Bolles Harbor. We got Perch in the channel, and Crappies near the dock posts. I saw a very nice Pike come out of the channel once. Good luck.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Welcome to the site and ice fishing. I think the best thing for you to do before you make a ton of purchases is to see if someone with experience would be willing to show you the ropes. This way you can get an idea of what to buy in the future. If you go here you can get a list of lakes that have public access. http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52261-67498--,00.html

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:09 PM »
i am always open to fishing some local lake around here. pm me if interested  i am from out just west of  wixom area... the only lakes i know of by you is bellville and  Newburg lakes  bellville lake is not bad but coming out by me is a better option. those are inland lake get a county map book like  each page is a different county or counties you can find them at spotrsmensconnection.c om i think is a book site  etc.. and even this list from the dnr link be low what ever you do don't go out on white foamy ice and don't go out under 3 inches of ice  spud your way out to ware you want to fish like spud a hole in the ice every 10-20 foot. most of all  if it your first time out or there has been a warm up etc... like this year your going to hear a lot about people going in cause there is no ice  safe ice down here  yet...any way pm me and i will pm you when we got some safe ice around here. it is looking like it will be in around January 10-15 will have good standing on ice by then. like i say and other said let some one help you out your first time out use the buddy system it is always best... then some one can throw a rope to you in a emergency.. as for gear rod reel tackle spud bar and auger always  that all you need...   let me know if you would like to go via the private message system..   i am sure we could go no questions asked week end and day welcome..  i got a few shanties that are no problem for me to haul out there augers sonar etc etc all we need for my stuff is ice right now.....by the way any thing with a river that runs threw it  will take longer to freeze.. that most of the lake around here... small pounds may hold you right now but like said spud out and use the buddy system...  or pm me

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52261-67498--,00.html

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:27 PM »
wear a helmet in case you slip and fall
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:33 PM »
wear a helmet in case you slip and fall

That's what creepers are for.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure the creepers go on your feet.  The helmet goes on your head. :)
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Hey 78 - what kind of fish are you after? 

My number one rule (especially on first ice)  SPUD, SPUD & SPUD step by step........if spud goes thru with one good throw, the back it on up - not safe.

Welcome to the site!

Offline mick78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2014, 03:35 AM »
i really do mean it thank u all so very much for ur time to help me......3300 and everyone i will do all u say ive been youtubeing but im glad the person menton to look up how to get out ice you fall in .......i love the point summer walleyes ...i love pan fish 2 fish kabob i would be real happy in feel much safer for someone to help a fellow fisher man out i never would have went if i did not see other shantys ......im going youtube ice video after this ....i hope you all limmmmet out this year i no i cant wait to do a winter fish fry ......what do you guys think of the clam jigs in such what i got so far for ice fishing tackel plus bait pucks once again thank u all for your time in advice much needed and appreciated

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2014, 12:37 PM »
did you buy a auger yet or a spud? if you need help let us know picking stuff out let us know i know holden's has there spuds in just a heads up..   
clam make a o.k. jig i think if looking for bulk go to jamminjigs.com or stoperlures .com etc.. etc.. here is a few hyper links  to get you started...

http://www.stopperlures.com/

http://www.jamminjigs.com/

http://www.customjigs.com/

http://www.brantnerjigs.com/category-s/1825.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=1825&show=30&page=4

http://grapentin.com/

link to holdens deli and bait and tackle...

http://www.holdensdeli.com/

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Wish I had this information back when I started ice fishing a few years ago. Would of probably saved me some money from buying a few things that turned out to be junk.

Offline mick78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:04 AM »
This is what I have of now I got the abu garcia veritas ice series pole not stringed yet cuz not sure what would be best set up ....assortment clam jigs in some lindy jigs spoones ...Eskimo 767i fat fish shanty ...still need buy auger, and spud, safty rope pics a whistle , need buy a heater but I do have one clips on 20lbs tank but was thinking a buddy be nicer... have a zippo hand warmer going keep my phone in zippo when not in use plastic bag like guy suggest on this section of helping me ....ive looked gander mt cabelas for spud but not sure what to buy some say ice chisel some flat points some spiky and I now how important you guys stress to use one so was going ask help with that choice cuz they have long , short heaver light so on ....do have my 5 year olds dock demon 2 I do like tht pole dock fishing .....
I do prob need to get like bibs jacket ....just want to say merry xmas and happy holiday ....I still need get slead 2 was looking at clam or cabelas one tht holds buckets do I need tip ups ....thank all you for all your help in time

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:57 AM »
if you need a sled and don't want to pay shipping stop in holdens. they got a ton of the soroc sport sleds i thin there about $65 for the big ones and i think $50 for the smaller ones  see link below...

and sell  grapentin spuds for about $20 they sell a verity of stuff that why i like them and they got the cleanest bait in town better then gander in novi and just up the road in milford and got great calzone's pizza bread stick and potato wedges  and chicken for picnic's etc..  if you fish out this way you got to go there lol's sooner or later...

the heavier the spud and sharper the better the "v" cut in the end of it just help remove the ice better when they strike the ice...

http://www.sportssled.com/

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2014, 06:44 PM »
all you really need is an anger, a pole, a few jigs and some maggots. You ain't gonna drown, so forget about that negative nonsense and get out there and decide what you need once you get your feet wet.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2014, 08:29 PM »
all you really need is an anger, a pole, a few jigs and some maggots. You ain't gonna drown, so forget about that negative nonsense and get out there and decide what you need once you get your feet wet.

Seriously? Yeah you don't drown but you do die from hypothermia when you fall in and can't get out. It happens every year. A spud will let you know the quality of the ice and give you an idea of how thick it is. Just cause you choose to not use one don't go telling someone who's just getting started in the sport not to.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2014, 10:05 PM »
never said he didn't need one, you elitists act like everyones gotta spend $1000 dollars just to get into the sport, way to run people off. Im sure nobodys ever died clutching a spud, right?

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:53 AM »
message sent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.