The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: michigan sale tax hike?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
michigan sale tax hike?
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:29 PM »
so how do all you  michigander's feel about this?

from this link is below

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2014/12/19/michigan-legislature-starts-voting-road-package/20627561/

Michigan Legislature puts sales tax hike on ballot

Lansing — At about 5:30 a.m. Friday, the Michigan Senate narrowly approved a proposed constitutional amendment asking voters to increase the 6 percent sales tax to 7 percent during the May general election.

The Senate's action followed approval of an 11-bill package that will pump $1.2 billion more annually into road repairs and provide public education with an extra $300 million annually if voters approve the sales tax increase. The Senate vote was 26-12, just barely getting the required two-thirds support for a constitutional amendment to be sent to voters.

More than three hours earlier, in the middle of the night, the House approved the sales tax ballot proposal and the package of road funding bills that Gov. Rick Snyder and legislative leaders unveiled mid-day Thursday.

The Legislature's action capped a whirlwind 18-hour final day of the session that ended at 6:18 a.m. Friday morning.

"A lot was done in a very short period of time," Snyder said after the Senate vote.

The House approved the ballot proposal by an overwhelming 94-16 vote, sending the centerpiece of the road funding package over to the Senate.

After taking three hours to pass the 11-bill package, the Senate got bogged down in a stalemate over getting the required two-thirds majority to approve the sales tax ballot proposal. An initial vote on the sales tax proposal failed when Senate leaders came up one vote short of the two-thirds threshold.

Sen. Coleman Young, D-Detroit, joined 11 Republicans in voting "no" on the sales tax proposal. Young said the Legislature "punted" to voters instead of solving the state's road funding shortfall themselves.

"It's not leadership," Young said. "That's political cowardice, plain and simple."

Lawmakers worked through the night to pass the road funding package that raises nearly $1.2 billion more for roads while doling out increased funding for public education, mass transit and providing tax relief for low-income residents to offset the sales tax hike.

The House began voting at about 12:40 a.m. Friday on the funding package that Snyder and legislative leaders unveiled mid-day Thursday. They wrapped up at about 2 a.m., but no representatives stood on the House floor to state their reasons for voting for or against the bills.

Rep. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, complained that Republican leaders would not recognize him to speak. He compared their treatment to that of former Democratic Speaker Andy Dillon during his first term in office.

McMillin said the Legislature should re-prioritize other spending in the state's $52 billion budget instead of raising taxes.

"We don't need to do this," he said.

The House also passed a two bills strengthening the collection of sales taxes on Internet purchases from retailers with a physical presence in Michigan. Those Senate bills are not part of the roads package, but could generate $60 million in additional revenue.

"I think it's part of the equation, too, because that's money that should be going into the (state's) coffers," said Sen. Mike Kowall, R-White Lake Township. "It's tax evasion, no matter how you look at it."

A 1-percentage-point sales tax increase would generate an estimated $1.34 billion in new revenue for the complex road funding plan.

In an analysis, the House Fiscal Agency calculated the package as having a net "impact" or cost of nearly $1.7 billion. The revenue would be divvied up with $1.165 billion going for road and bridge repairs; $130 million for transit; $95 million for municipalities; and $300 million for public schools.

On a 78-32 vote, the House approved restoring the Earned Income Tax Credit to pre-2011 levels. The GOP majority slashed the tax credit in 2011 to help balance the state budget.

But restoration of the tax credit to provide tax relief for low-income residents was a stipulation Democrats made in exchange for their votes on the road funding package and sales tax ballot proposal. The state credit will rise from 6 percent of the federal Earned Income Tax Credit to 20 percent of the federal credit.

The bill calls for restoration of the credit for the 2016 tax year, meaning low-income families won't be able to claim the credit until the 2017 tax season. It's expected to deplete the state's coffers by $260 million, according to the non-partisan House Fiscal Agency.

Rep. Jon Bumstead, R-Newaygo, voted against all but two of the bills and cast a "no" vote in opposition to the sales tax ballot proposal. He opposed the added spending on education and restoring tax credits for the poor.

"There's a lot of extra spending to get votes," Bumstead said of the package of bills. "(Education funding) has nothing to do with roads."

The GOP-controlled House voted 88-22 on a conference committee report to remove the sales tax on gasoline. Four Democrats joined 18 Republicans in rejecting the compromise legislation, which swaps the sales tax for a new wholesale gas tax.

House members approved the wholesale gas tax plan forged by the conference committee late Thursday night on a 93-17 vote.

Two bills requiring competitive bidding on certain road construction projects soared out of the House on near-unanimous votes of 108-2 and 107-3.

The package of bills tied to road funding included education funding legislation Democrats secured in negotiations.

Snyder remained in his Capitol office throughout the overnight session.

Just before midnight, Snyder and his transportation director, Kirk Steudle, were in the Capitol rotunda listening to a dozen House members sing Christmas carols, led by Rep. Ed McBroom playing piano.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: michigan sale tax hike?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:56 PM »
should be based on gas tax (road use tax), not income. the more you drive, the more you should pay.
sales tax has nothing to do with road use tax on fuel. road use tax is the correct way to tax road users and they should not try new tactics on tax payers.
keep them separate

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:02 PM »

i think there try to get blood from a lime squeezing it to tight. not a big fan of Michigan government lately. as you can see why..... thought i would give you guys a head up on this there raising sale tax and internet sales tax if this passes. too much from other areas like said the poor get poorer and the rich richer.. this is just a head up like said...   

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Keep it simple.  Gasoline tax at the pump should fund roads and bridges.  The more you drive, the more you pay for road maintenance.  Corralling  all these sacred cows into the bill (education, tax relief for the poor) is how this thing got so out of whack in the first place and why our roads suffer.  I'd be interested in hearing from residents of some of the surrounding states where highway infrastructure is in much better shape than MI - how are their roads funded?

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I always hear road tax for road use.

Someone who walks or bikes to work and doesn't even own a car, do they put any wear and tear on the roads?

How does all the stuff they buy get to such a close proximity to them?

Are some of these things brought in by the semi load? Bikes, clothing, food, toiletries and such?

Other road uses may be getting your mail, fire and rescue, patrol cars, Utilities and the list goes on.

I feel that everybody relies on the roads and uses the road directly or indirectly.

A sales tax ear marked for the roads and not the general fund may not be a bad idea.

I just don't think we want the highest gas tax in the country.

Or no new taxes period, but what do we cut to pay for our roads that have been grossly neglected for over 25 years?

Just some food for thought, now back to thinking about ice fishing.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:59 PM »
I think the current tax's should be applied for road funding .... Why are they being siphoned off for years to multiple other areas ?

Our road issues are not due to lack of funding by taxpayers its lack of proper allocation year over year.

Leaving the deferred maintenance issue we have today.

Want to see how much is currently generated and were it goes .... this is the annual reports from MDOT

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9622_11045_34388---,00.html

Set the hook till their eyes cross

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:06 PM »
 They don't have money to fix the roads but every few years they can replace all the guard rails. Then they take the signs down and replace the steel post with wood that will be rotted out in 5 years.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2014, 01:02 AM »
they put up a bunch of signs next to swamps and wetlands that say, for example: Shiawasse River watershed  or Huron River watershed. These signs have been about as useful as instructions on a box of matches.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I always hear road tax for road use.
thats why we have that tax
Someone who walks or bikes to work and doesn't even own a car, do they put any wear and tear on the roads?
200 pounds isn't hurting the roads and is our right to free travel in our Constitution
How does all the stuff they buy get to such a close proximity to them?
delivered and the road use tax was applied to the deliveries and passed on to the consumer
Are some of these things brought in by the semi load? Bikes, clothing, food, toiletries and such?
yes and the consumer pays the road use tax when they purchase any thing
Other road uses may be getting your mail, fire and rescue, patrol cars, Utilities and the list goes on.
road use tax applies there for the fuel purchased at the same pumps we use
I feel that everybody relies on the roads and uses the road directly or indirectly.
yes
A sales tax ear marked for the roads and not the general fund may not be a bad idea.
new tax is always a horrible idea
thats why we fought England here, remember??
I just don't think we want the highest gas tax in the country.
we are the 4th highest in the continental 48 states at this moment!! so i would think we would be ranked 4th in best roads
Or no new taxes period, but what do we cut to pay for our roads that have been grossly neglected for over 25 years?
spend the tax on what it was designed to do and not add new or higher taxes

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:08 AM »
They just need to learn how to spend wisely. Any money spent on roads goes to the south east side of the state first then the rest of us only pay taxes and listen to comissioners cry that there is no money available to fix ours.
We don't need new taxes. We need legislators to pay attention to the whole state. Mid and northern Michigan is historically ignored by politicians.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:28 PM »
thats why we have that tax

I was just  starting my comment out, but thank you.

[/quote]
200 pounds isn't hurting the roads and is our right to free travel in our Constitution

This is part of the point that everyone has an affect on the roads. 

[/quote]
delivered and the road use tax was applied to the deliveries and passed on to the consumer
yes and the consumer pays the road use tax when they purchase any thing. 
road use tax applies there for the fuel purchased at the same pumps we use

I was using sarcasm,  but thanks again.

[/quote]
new tax is always a horrible idea

I didn't say new tax , I just like the idea of a sales tax that's ear marked for roads, right now the sales tax on gas goes to the general fund.

[/quote]
thats why we fought England here, remember??

Actually I think it was taxation without representation, but close enough.

[/quote]
we are the 4th highest in the continental 48 states at this moment!! so i would think we would be ranked 4th in best roads

Absolutely,  because that how these things work out. Not to mention states with four seasons may have a tad more road maintenance.

[/quote]
spend the tax on what it was designed to do and not add new or higher taxes

Taxes are not a bad thing if reasonable and fair. Our elected representative do need to do a better job on how our monies are spent.

I enjoy talking about ice fishing better, so this will be my last reply to this subject. :tipup:

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:39 PM »
They don't have money to fix the roads but every few years they can replace all the guard rails. Then they take the signs down and replace the steel post with wood that will be rotted out in 5 years.

Ever hit a steel post?  I haven't but I know this....I'd rather hit something that gives more easily than steel.  One thing I'd like to see regardless of how they decide to fund the maintenance....make those who do the work responsible for repairing it if their work proves shoddy within X amount of years.  I have seen a stretch of road repaired 3 times in the past 20 years all done by the same company.  Seems they should be held responsible if their work can't hold up more than 6 years.  I think its called "job security", not road repair.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Jiveturkey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:13 PM »
I'm all for a higher gas tax, but I don't like paying for the roads with other purchases. Jack it up to 10-15% on fuel or heck a little more. I also wish they would have mandatory vechile inspection. Charge $100-$200 yearly for a basic inspection, no emissions ect. Just safty inspection. Keep the junk with bad tires, no breaks ect off the road.

I drive 60,000ish miles a year for work in a half ton pickup. I will gladly pay whatever it cost to keep the trash of the roads and have smooth roads to travel.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:37 AM »
I think something needs to be done to curb the price of diesel.After all everything you purchase is connected to diesel fuel and at almost a buck more a gallon this price is passed on to the consumer.Now they want to add more tax cash to the price of fuel that will get passed on to us making it in the long run a higher tax around the board...I understand that truckers and companys get a fuel tax break but even at that it still costs too much......and yes I have 2 diesel...LMAO

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:38 AM »
Just Vote "No", Michigan.

There is reason young people, young families, retired folks on fixed incomes move out of michigan. It is cheaper to pay the out of state fees for fishing licenses, than to actually live in michigan and tolerate, the systematic stealing of working class folks.

Go ahead and pass the hike in taxes. And let me know how many roads actually improve? Or will it be another shoddy " cold patch that pothole " job again? I have lived here 30 yrs. I have a good idea how this is going to turn out.

Bullet with a name on it.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Ever hit a steel post?  I haven't but I know this....I'd rather hit something that gives more easily than steel.  One thing I'd like to see regardless of how they decide to fund the maintenance....make those who do the work responsible for repairing it if their work proves shoddy within X amount of years.  I have seen a stretch of road repaired 3 times in the past 20 years all done by the same company.  Seems they should be held responsible if their work can't hold up more than 6 years.  I think its called "job security", not road repair.

No I have never hit a steel post as I usually try to stay on the road ;D ;D. I agree that many of the new roads are falling apart. I use to drive 131 north of GR  alot. A few years ago they tore the old road out and replaced it. I had to travel it a couple weeks ago and there are holes in it that you could lose your car in. But some of that may not be the contractors fault as the state tell them what they want and the contractor just follows along

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Just Vote "No", Michigan.

There is reason young people, young families, retired folks on fixed incomes move out of michigan. It is cheaper to pay the out of state fees for fishing licenses, than to actually live in michigan and tolerate, the systematic stealing of working class folks.

Go ahead and pass the hike in taxes. And let me know how many roads actually improve? Or will it be another shoddy " cold patch that pothole " job again? I have lived here 30 yrs. I have a good idea how this is going to turn out.
[/quote
 I am guessing that in 5 years after this tax the roads will be the same as they are today. To many other places to spend the extra money they are getting

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:01 AM »
i think it is the road graders that do the shoulders with the plow blades and the truck in the winter  that plow the snow.  when they drag that blade look what it does michigan it wrecks and tares up your roads.  there has to be a  better way of doing it so not to wreck the roads.

also this is why i never voted for Snyder for Governor its stuff like this that juts pisses me off about him. i am surprised there is even a vote on this for the public. i think he threw that wolf think at us last vote for him to make us think he was for the hunters and he just got in on that ballot for the hunters. to many people blinded by his bull shasta. then we can't even recall him for reason now after that law put in to effect about the unions and right to work he slid a law past about not being able to recall him for these reasons which pisses me off more about him same with my dad and his pension being taxed etc...etc.. the lists go on and on and on. any ways for those of you that voted for him i hope you got what you deserved for voting for him like higher taxes etc... etc......     

by the way thanks guys for showing you intelligence of that over the current government in this post...   

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:15 AM »
we need cuts to government and less people living off the government and lower tax's let the privet  sector work that's what USA is albout

Offline wallygator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Crazy
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:38 AM »
guys i understand the tax issue ,but this is not the place to share our thoughts, there are plenty of other forums and sites for thi info, please stick to fishing reports. Tight lines all  >{{}}> :tipup:
<{{{}}

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:54 AM »
What fishing reports. There's no ice in the southern part of MI. Only fishable ice is probably north of Bay City.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:45 AM »
there is no other forum, is there?
err.. wait... i might get taxed for saying that?!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:30 AM »
are current government is like the war on terror will never win. it like trapping ghosts in a closet or stopping a freight train with e bb gun just not going to happen. and look at how expensive the war on Islamic state is  i can wait till that new laser is put in to use at .56 cent per shot compare to $40,000 a missile for the tomahawk cruise missiles   the kind that find the target with gps or laser etc... etc ... but we still enter in to these wars and look what it cost us and other people like our vets from the gulf war and Afghanistan vets etc.. etc..  these cut to spending does not help them only hurts them....  that and if we did not take on this war on terror  we could all have lived right off the government and no one would have noticed.   but like we know this war had to be done and should have been done but like i am saying it is expensive for our vets and our people when they make those cuts or taxes... if we ignore the problem it mite jump out and bite us worst then 9/11. but that extra tax is not going for the helping people it going to some thing asinine like roads not schools , not homes , not business, and for sure not our vets etc.. etc.. . i am for taxes just depend on how much and what there used for....

here is another good point why not make truck drivers pay?  they use the road and carry the heavy cargo why not increase fines for over sized cargo? that also wreck roads ? same with fining road crews that wreck rods as they plow or grade the roads?? it stuff like that that is just not needed cause to many problems taxing workers for driving on roads that are fixed by a  tax already??  our road are good enough now just don't misappropriate funds for other things like every one else is saying...

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:19 PM »
The answer to your question should become very clear in May.

Offline augerbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:34 AM »
Kabob your in never never land !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Kabob your in never never land !!!!!!!!!!!

please explain?
 ???

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I got nothin just IBTL

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:59 PM »
We need Diplomat Dennis Rodman to smooth things out with N Korea
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:41 AM »

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I just wanted to thank you guys for reminding me what I did not miss about living in Michigan.  So sad what politicians are doing to that state.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.